Chapala.com Webboard

Attempted Scammer Alert

Just to put everyone on notice, the fellow who speaks pretty good English is back at it.  Got a call last night from him saying "remember me, your old neighbor?"...  Told me he was driving into Jalisco now, wants to visit with us tomorrow, blah, blah, blah.  As we talked I became increasingly suspicious that he was NOT the old neighbor returning from Monterrey and told him to call me this morning and we'll decide where to meet and catch up.  Moments later, the phone rang again and he told me he was driving in heavy rain as he was entering Jalisco.  I could sense he was about to start the "I need money" ploy so I told him that I know he's not legit and hung up on him.  He didn't call back.

So, just take note of the phone number and either don't answer or if you want to entertain yourself for a few minutes, chat with him and then hang up.  :)

Stay safe!

Valerie  :)

I got one from a cell phone number ending in 7816 yesterday afternoon.  Claimed to be "Mike" and when I asked which Mike, he said "Radio Mike", but the voice was totally unfamiliar, so I asked who he was calling, at which time he hemmed and hawed for a moment, and that's when I hung up and proceeded to block the number.  I only answered because the prefix was 331.

I've had a large number of calls from a 554 and other out of area prefixes.  They all get blocked.

Yes, I think our scammer is at it again!

1 hour ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Just to put everyone on notice, the fellow who speaks pretty good English is back at it.  Got a call last night from him saying "remember me, your old neighbor?"...  Told me he was driving into Jalisco now, wants to visit with us tomorrow, blah, blah, blah.  As we talked I became increasingly suspicious that he was NOT the old neighbor returning from Monterrey and told him to call me this morning and we'll decide where to meet and catch up.  Moments later, the phone rang again and he told me he was driving in heavy rain as he was entering Jalisco.  I could sense he was about to start the "I need money" ploy so I told him that I know he's not legit and hung up on him.  He didn't call back.

So, just take note of the phone number and either don't answer or if you want to entertain yourself for a few minutes, chat with him and then hang up.  :)

Stay safe!

Why even answer the phone for numbers that you don't recognize or don't have stored in contacts? That is what voicemail is for. If it is a good message, you can call them back.

34 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Why even answer the phone for numbers that you don't recognize or don't have stored in contacts? That is what voicemail is for. If it is a good message, you can call them back.

Some of us answer because we have Mexican insurance, bank accounts, and credit cards. If there is a security alert they do not leave voicemails. You can hang up on anyone else in less than 1 second.  

11 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Some of us answer because we have Mexican insurance, bank accounts, and credit cards. If there is a security alert they do not leave voicemails. You can hang up on anyone else in less than 1 second.  

Now days most phones, even landline phones, have the ability to display a name instead of a number. You may have to enter the name.

Just like some of you here, when I have extra time, it is fun to pretend to fall for the scam especially when they say I can leave the money at OXXO or something like that with their name on it. I go on and on about how I left the envelope with your name on it there with the lady whom I know, and so far you never came by to get it

I just pretend to do stupid things like that never quite getting it right until they give up or I get board and thank them for the fun and entertainment they have provided me and that I don't have a cousin by that name, or he lost his life three years ago in a shout out or something really stupid.

It can be so much fun, especially when you know that by doing this I am keeping this crook away from whomever he might try to con while I was keeping him busy running in circles.

22 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Just to put everyone on notice, the fellow who speaks pretty good English is back at it.  Got a call last night from him saying "remember me, your old neighbor?"...  

He called here last week, your old neighbor spiel.  I immediately asked how he go out of prison early. And warned him not to come to the neighborhood as there were many people who thought he should have gotten much more than twelve years and I didn't think it was safe for him.....

Her hung up!

48 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

No because they use a trunk line. I would need 100 or more contacts listed for Bancomer, adding a new one with every call,  not to mention American Express Mexico, and Banorte. It takes less than 1 second to hang up if I do not want to take a from an unknown number. 

Bancomer sends me a TEXT message within seconds, a transaction is made, deposit or withdrawal 

Archived