Chapala.com Webboard

Cherry Blossom Trees

If not enough "chilling hours" occur then the tree will produce neither blossoms nor fruit. And some even require a companion tree. If the local nursery can provide a proper name for the cultivar that they are selling, then it would be prudent to research the cultivar before buying.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/chilling-requirements-cherry-trees-54805.html

There are two trees here that look very much like cherry trees in bloom here. One is the pink Primavera (Amapa) the other I can't remember at the moment.

When I want to know how well a plant may do here, since very few information can be found on the internet about gardening in Mexico, and there is a trove of information about gardening in hawaii on nearly all topics and since Hawaii has a somewhat similar climate, just more humid and wet there than here, I always check to see if a certain plant will grow well there first.  If Hawaiians have been successful at growing it there, chances are it may also do well here if kept watered.  That is what I did before I got my blueberry bushes, I researched about growing blue berries in Hawaii first.  According to my research, successfully growing cherry trees in Hawaii is rather difficult.  If you want the cherry tree for the fruit, you can try growing tropical cherry varieties like the acerola cherry and the Jamaican cherry.  Although not exactly cherries, they are delicious.  I recently planted a baby Jamaican cherry tree that by next year I should be getting fruit.  The tree is said to be small but a super fast grower and can give you almost daily crops of cherries that are really sweet.  The fruit is compared to the taste of cotton candy or sugar cubes and are also very juicy.  The acerola cherry, on the other hand, is said to be rather tart tasting but an excellent source for vitamin C.

15 hours ago, WideSky said:

I see some of the roadside viveros advertising   ceresa; All you can do is ask - try Flora Exotica (libramiento across from Centro Laguna); Lots of other flowering trees to choose from.

Just because they sell certain plants in a vivero or roadside vendors, doesn't mean they will do well. I live in Sayulita, which as most you know is super hot and humid in the summer months. Roses all develop black spot here unless you treat them-I preferplants which grow well in my area without special care. I asked the vivero here when I was newer to the area- that all the roses I had seen here have black spot and is that because they don't like this climate? They confirmed. I then asked why they sell them. They said, because people want them.

There are some guys who set up several times a year in the Mega parking lot in Bucerias selling plants. They had Rhododendrons! No way those will grow here. I asked the guys where they were from, where their nursery was. Sure enough, they were from somewhere up in the mountains. When I told them Rhodos would never thrive here, they just shrugged.

Well, here nothing comes labeled and they are clueless when it comes to different varieties.  An apple tree is an apple tree, a passion flower is a passion flower vine.  An orange tree is a citris, regardless if it is a mandarina or navel orange.  I have been burnt so many times here.  Mostly, it is due to ignorance and lack of education in the vivero's here.  They have no idea what they are selling down here.

Most of the people who set up nurseries in Mexico don't do it because of love and knowledge of plants. They think it is an easy way to make some money. Many of them are clueless about plants and will sell you anything to make a buck. In the Lakeside area I have seen many nurseries come and go. There are several in the area that have knowledgeable staff that are helpful.   

Archived