Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle Nationalization at Laredo border 2018

Lucky23

Vehicle Nationalization at Laredo border 2018

I’ve scanned and read past posts on this board about vehicle nationalization.

I would like to post this topic again to gain a better understanding.  I am a bit concerned about this endeavor.  If anyone has nationalized their car recently, it would be great to hear about your experience and advice.

I know it is a huge hassle to nationalize a California plated car but my 2004 Honda has really low miles and is reliable so I want to nationalize my vehicle.

I am now permanente and need to drive the 2004 Honda to Laredo.

1.  Where do I attain a temporary permit locally (Lakeside) or in Guadalajara to drive my insured car to Laredo?

2. Where do I go to draft a document that will permit my Mexican friend to drive my insured California plated car with me in the car?

3.  I understand the drive to Laredo is about 12 hours.  Is there a recommended route or half way point hotel to stay in?  I am in favor of toll roads. Is there a hotel in Laredo that is recommended?

4.  Once at the Laredo border I understand I have to work with a broker both to import and export my California plated (no overdue registration fees as the vehicle has had a non operation status.).   Can someone describe their experience or recommend a broker?  

5.  Online on blogs I have seen that cars over 10 years old may not be imported, however I have spoken to a broker and that person said for an added fee the vehicle can be nationalized.  Anyone have real experience nationalizing a older vehicle in 2018?

6.  I am not certain if my Mexican friend can accompany me.  If you are a lady and need to cross the border for temporal status requirements, please personal message me.

7.  Any other input that is helpful is greatly appreciated.  Thanks 🙏.

As Xena said, you may not nationalize a car that is a 2004. However, you are still obligated to remove this car from Mexico. You need to obtain a Retorno Seguro to drive to the border legally. I believe that they are good for 5 business days. Weekend don't count as a business day.  You are subject to fines and confiscation of the car if you drive it with your Permanente. I don't think that you can obtain a Retorno Seguro locally. I had to go to Guad. to get mine, but that was a while ago.

T.

Hello all,

My name is Enrique Bautista, I am a registered Mexican Customs Broker Substitute before the Mexican Treasury, SHCP, you can check my background at the Mexican Confederation of Mexico Customs Broker Associations, www.caaarem.mx . At the present moment you can nationalized a 2010 and older models as long as it is made in the U.S., Canada or Mexico. In November it changes to 2011 and older. The 2009 and 2010 pay a 10%  import duty, 2008 and older pay a 50% import duty and in both cases you also have to pay in addition a 16% Value Added Tax (IVA). Our website is www.pexim.com . Mexican customs already placed a value to each used vehicle, they do not look for an invoice or fair market value of the vehicle. Please feel free to contact me or call me concerning any Mexican Customs Matter. Respectfully, Enrique Bautista 

On 9/22/2018 at 11:28 AM, Xena said:

You can not nationalize a 2004 vehicle. It is too old. 

I hope u saw Enrique's Post showing that older cars CAN be Nationalized. Bad info is worse than no information.

Locally attorney Spencer McMullen can assist with getting a Retorno Seguro in order for a Permanente to drive the vehicle legally to the border.

We can help with the retorno seguro but we have seen many people pay around $3,000US after all is said and done to properly nationalize so one must ask themselves if it makes sense to pay the value of a car to nationalize it and even then receive lesser insurance coverages.

Many insurance policies in the fine print have different coverages for nationalized vehicles where they may only pay 60% of the market value in the event of theft or total loss, others will only offer liability and not collision and theft.  Newer cars are easier to insure but one needs to read the fine print as some mention different coverages or valuation for nationalized vehicles.  

#4.  RESPONSE.   I did this at Laredo August 2016. Bought a M/C in Houston, exported from USA, imported to MX. Used a combination broker/car dealer called; Hermanos Cuevas Agencia Aduanal. Expect to pay >$2,000 US. Warning, they speak very little English and do their transactions in cash. A new rule since 2016; expect to take 3 days to export while CBP Checks to ensure vehicle is legit and in particular not stolen. Contact Hermanos Cuevas in advance to confirm it is eligible for import and the cost. I may be doing this again myself to buy another M/C and I intend to call CBP to confirm process for exportation as well as expected time frame. I anticipate it will likely take 3 days because it is a busy port of entry...just speculating. Hope this helps. I couldn’t find anyone locally to help me. Biggest help was a site called ‘Surviving the Yucatan’, along with MANY hours on line generally. Additional information; get a transit permit from Hermanos to bring your car back to Jalisco. It took me 3 weeks and 3 trips to the main Recuadadora in Guadalajara because they need to verify with the national MX registry that you paid all taxes, duties & fees before they issue plates. These charges are part of the fee to Hermanos and they pay them on you behalf. Once they verify the pedimento (obtained by the broker) and payments you will get your Jalisco plates.

Archived