Chapala.com Webboard

Mercado Libre Experience

I ordered an air cooler early in the new year.  When I started to have problems with it and let them know by email, never had a response from them.  Emailed again and the same thing.  So I would not buy any large or expensive items from them in the future that might require a return, so I would be leary about ordering an iphone.  I would go to BestBuy in GDL and get their 2-year additional guarantee.  Have done this in the past and never had a problem with anything that went wrong with a particular item bought there.  They always gave good service and replaced with a new item if they could not fix.

• Like 1

I have ordered numerous items and always had a good experience.  One was a microwave oven and the first one they sent was the wrong color and the return process worked fine and the replacement was fast.  It is akin to eBay so each vendor is a separate entity though MercadoLibre acts the same as eBay does to arbitrate problems, etc.

54 minutes ago, Arroyos said:

so I would be leary about ordering an iphone.  I would go to BestBuy in GDL and get their 2-year additional guarantee.  

On the iPhone... is that an additional  two years? As in additional to the one year guarantee? And, if so, what was the charge for the additional warranty. I'm asking because I bought a brand new iPhone from an accredited Telcel provider locally and it died (not reparable) in 18 months. I was not a happy camper.

I've only ever ordered one thing- a new motherboard for my washing machine. Sellers on Mercado Libre have ratings from customers-  this guy had been selling on Mercado Libre for years and had a top rating. But I got a Mexican friend to call him for me (I'm pretty fluent with spoken face-to-face Spanish, but they talk so darn fast on the phone) and he seemed totally legit- had an appliance store in Mazatlan. He gave me his bank account number, which I paid at Oxo (no need to use Paypal), scanned him the receipt as requested, and it was delivered by Estafeta 2 days later. But I'm not sure if I'd order an iphone that way. Could even be stolen. I doubt there's big black market in stolen washing machine motherboards 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've bought dozens of things through Mercado Libre over the last five years.  Always quick delivery and products as advertised.  I always look there first when I'm in the market for anything.  Bought my current cel from a vendor there {a reconditioned iPhone 4s} a couple of years ago and it's still working great. The system works most smoothly when using a debit/credit card on a Mexican bank.

Been using them for at least 10 years. I am a premium member and have bought tons.of.stuff. Computers, cell phones. Monitors roof sealers and motorcycles, my last purchase a weedeater.

I had two issues one a toner cartridge which was resolved immediately the other a starter for my car also replaced.

Just like eBay check sellers repuation,number of items sold etc.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:51 PM, Ferret said:

On the iPhone... is that an additional  two years? As in additional to the one year guarantee? And, if so, what was the charge for the additional warranty. I'm asking because I bought a brand new iPhone from an accredited Telcel provider locally and it died (not reparable) in 18 months. I was not a happy camper.

Ferret - see my direct message to you.  Now I have figured out to respond directly on the request by clicking on 'post'.

• Thanks 1

I have never had problems with Mercadolibre until the past 2 weeks.  3 sellers told me they did not have the product.  They should not be selling something they do not have.  

I used them a few months ago.  Had a GREAT experience with them. I'm not sure I'd use it to buy electronics or an expensive iPhone but they must have some protection program.

My new apartment in Zapopan came with this fancy dishwasher installed.  It was the first time I had a dishwasher that required salt.  I can understand if you optionally wanted to use salt for hard water stains but the dishwasher wouldn't work at all without it!  I couldn't find it anywhere in the store in GDL. I tried many places. 

Then I went on Mercado Libre and instantly found it.  Was a bit pricey as I guess it's from the USA but it was instantly shipped from Mexico City and I got it in 2 days.  Worked flawlessly.  

Also I'm a really convert to dishwashers that use this special salt.  Glasses come clean crystal clear.  Best I've ever seen.

• Sad 2

As a Mercadolibre seller for over 9 years I work hard to make sure my buyers are satisfied. I would say 99% of the sellers are like me. You can see their ratings and if their buyers report problems.

Just like Ebay or Amazon  you have buyer protection directly from Mercadolibre regardless of the seller. . The seller does not receive payment until 3 working days after product is delivered or the buyer rates the purchase, whichever comes first. 

If a buyer files a complaint Mercadolibre holds everything until the problem is worked out. If it needs to be returned Mercadoenvios will send a pre-paid label for FedEx or DHL

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I have had some issues with ML Mexico.  They cancelled my VISA Debit Card I had been using on the account without explanation.  A chargeback was resolved, but the card will not be accepted.  The representative, Maria, has offered no explanation as to what is going on internally in their billing system.  It is quite frustrating.  Their is no email, phone or WhatsApp support for ML Mexico and I have yet heard from senior management.  Does anyone have any idea how to get ahold of a competent representative at ML Mexico who can resolve an issue like this?  Their website portal has no capacity to contact or direct questions to correctly.  What's up with that?  Thanks for your help.

Even for sellers getting through all the help screens is annoying. I have found that I use a help for something else until I get to a screen that allows a call back  email or online chat.Then I enter my problem even if it is not related to the  subject.  Try going to your last purchase and using help from there. 

Or possibly you could use a different credit or debit  card. 

I used them for a first time a few weeks ago and probably won't again.  First problem arose when trying to use a credit card or debit card that is not on a Mexican bank.  The system requests additional security ie. the scan of an IFE card or equivalent.  As a Permanente Resident, I have no such card and the system is not set up to deal with non-Mexican citizens it seems.  Had to go to Oxxo to make my payment - which is OK - but they still also charged my credit card after they told me it was not accepted?????  Fortunately they reversed the charge so not a big deal.  Then their Vendor shipped it by PaquetExpress and it arrived in Guadalajara from Mexico City in 2 days - then sat in some warehouse in Guadalajara for 10 days before making it to IShop in SAT.  Repeated attempts to try and find out what the holdup was never yielded any results.   In my opinion, MercadoLibre has a long way to go to catch up to Amazon Mexico.

10 hours ago, Ezzie said:

I used them for a first time a few weeks ago and probably won't again.  First problem arose when trying to use a credit card or debit card that is not on a Mexican bank.  The system requests additional security ie. the scan of an IFE card or equivalent.  As a Permanente Resident, I have no such card and the system is not set up to deal with non-Mexican citizens it seems.  Had to go to Oxxo to make my payment - which is OK - but they still also charged my credit card after they told me it was not accepted?????  Fortunately they reversed the charge so not a big deal.  Then their Vendor shipped it by PaquetExpress and it arrived in Guadalajara from Mexico City in 2 days - then sat in some warehouse in Guadalajara for 10 days before making it to IShop in SAT.  Repeated attempts to try and find out what the holdup was never yielded any results.   In my opinion, MercadoLibre has a long way to go to catch up to Amazon Mexico.

Extremely rare. But all delivery companies can have problems. Nothing to do with who sold it. 

I have been selling and buying on Mercadolibre for 9 years. Unless you order a product in the ML warehouse (they are marked Full) or a product that shows it isn't shipped by Mercadoenvios (not common) the shipment will be from the individual vendor and will be with DHL, FedEx, or Estafeta.  Amazon uses the same companies as from my experience.

2 weeks ago I ordered some masks from the ML warehouse on a Saturday at 2pm and received them Sunday at 4pm in Ajijic. 

Sunday night I had a sale at about 8pm. DHL picked up the package in Ajijic Monday afternoon. Buyer received it in Aguascalientes Tuesday afternoon. 

• Like 1

NEVER have had problems over many years..... BUT....I

(1) ONLY buy from sellers on the extreme right edge of green on reliability scale (top rated) 

(2) ONLY pay with cash (at Oxxo).

(3)  Have deliveries sent to iShop so never any problem with me not being here when a delivery might arrive

• Like 2

On 9/18/2018 at 1:52 PM, Arroyos said:

I ordered an air cooler early in the new year.  When I started to have problems with it and let them know by email, never had a response from them.  Emailed again and the same thing.  So I would not buy any large or expensive items from them in the future that might require a return, so I would be leary about ordering an iphone.  I would go to BestBuy in GDL and get their 2-year additional guarantee.  Have done this in the past and never had a problem with anything that went wrong with a particular item bought there.  They always gave good service and replaced with a new item if they could not fix.

I bought a water cooler from Mercado Libre and had the same problems.  Only buy small items now, and not very expensive.