Chapala.com Webboard

Transitos in La Canacinta?

ComputerGuy

Am I wrong, or isn't the area currently "without" local transitos, while the State has taken over this function? If so, what is FatBoyMoustacheMan doing, back on the highway with his pickup truck, stopping drivers at random heading east from the San Juan direction? He flagged me down, but I just waved and drove past, enjoying the look of disbelief he registered. This would mean he is not only coercing bribes, his favourite pastime, but now also working illegally.

Chapala does have "municipal transitios". Whether they have gotten power to ticket has not been confirmed. "El Gordo" is supposed to be limited to the state highways and the carretera counts. They have been stopping people to check registrations and emission test documentation.

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Am I wrong, or isn't the area currently "without" local transitos, while the State has taken over this function? If so, what is FatBoyMoustacheMan doing, back on the highway with his pickup truck, stopping drivers at random heading east from the San Juan direction? He flagged me down, but I just waved and drove past, enjoying the look of disbelief he registered. This would mean he is not only coercing bribes, his favourite pastime, but now also working illegally.

CG they have been at that location on and off for month's. They mostly stop traffic going East but today were working East and West traffic

CG are you really suggestion FBMM is illegaly on the job. When I passed there were at lest 6 "officers" including  2 women and a supervisor with silver trim on his hat..but more intimidating a flat bed tow truck parked....so go ahead and pull their  bluff , but donot  come to us for a GO FUND ME to get your car from the pound

Who knows what kind of hypno-speak these guys have on each other. But nobody jumped in their paddy-wagon to come get me. I'm out that way a LOT and I haven't seen them, so I guess I won't need your help on that GoFundMe page...

Me and FBMM go way back... I usually ask him how his family is, what's he been up to since last we met, lots of smiles... he gets flustered and gives up. His Capitain was with him once, asked if he know me: he said "Um, I guess..." and the boss said "Just drop it".

"El Gordo" is sharing his "profits" with the boss, so he is well loved. We had some "dealings" with him too in the past (who has not?)I do not believe for a minute that this "revenue" will end up in government coffers for projects like .... fixing the roads.

So always ask for "folio" ....do not pay mordida , even if it seems easiest way to get out of the hassle..

I was told that poor Mexicans in general love thieves, as they can buy their stolen goods for cheep. They are seen as "Robin Hoods". Taking from the rich and giving to the poor.  Very "noble" but a major rub with me of living in Ajijic .  That and many other types of noble and not so noble crimes.

OK, consider this a public service announcement:

If you do NOT have a current emissions sticker and are traveling the carretera between La Reserva and La Christina going west, bail off to the left onto the dirt road in front of Que Ganga!  There are actually two parallel roads that run parallel to the carretera from Canacinta to El Bajio.  You can get back on the carretera just past El Bajio, where the fruit stands are.  Going east, drop down at the fruit stands and travel east to Canacinta.  These two roads are about 20 feet from the carretera and the transitos know about them but apparently don't care because there will be a traffic jam down there of cars avoiding the traffic stop.

Gotta love Mexico!!!

When the the deputy director of state movilidad and his office was at LCS a Shriner friend and I submitted El Gordo's fotos and nick name to them and recounted the saga of his holding up an elderly golfcart driver, putting the cart in the truck and taking her to the bank for his mordida. What happened. Obviously nothing. The only way to thwart him is to demand the ticket (folio) and not pay him. Those who pay are only making the problem worse.

29 minutes ago, HarryB said:

When the the deputy director of state movilidad and his office was at LCS a Shriner friend and I submitted El Gordo's fotos and nick name to them and recounted the saga of his holding up an elderly golfcart driver, putting the cart in the truck and taking her to the bank for his mordida. What happened. Obviously nothing. The only way to thwart him is to demand the ticket (folio) and not pay him. Those who pay are only making the problem worse.

This is from the Guadalajara Reporter late last year

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/51104-state-traffic-cops-go-out-of-bounds

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

That's a pretty definitive clue that nothing will ever change, and we just need to carry on.

2 hours ago, HarryB said:

I'm pretty sure El Gordo has to share his take and that explains a lot.

In 1 week there will be new state secretaries of everything. If enough powerful/ respected groups got together and filed a petition, I bet something would happen. How many influential groups do those concerned about this matter belong to? Bitching on a board definitely WON'T get anything done. 

Sure the politicos want you to think you are powerless. Pay your taxes and whatever bills you are given and shut up. But, in the mean time they are scared to death you will wake up and flex your economic muscles. Yet expats are their own worst enemies. I am afraid (too lazy)to get involved. I am afraid of getting deported, They won't listen. It is a waste of time...Bla Bla Bla.

Many organizations are being invited to the local government change. I know, I  recommended them. How many will come? If everyone showed up wouldn't it be a show of interest and power? Don't you think it will be noticed?

God this dog has been beaten to death. If you have a permanente visa, the mexican constitution GUARANTEES you all the rights of a mexican except voting. You may not get involved in a political campaign.  Issues relating to your quality of life are not political campaigns. Besides, I'm suggesting representative groups issue the petitions. 

2 hours ago, HarryB said:

In 1 week there will be new state secretaries of everything. If enough powerful/ respected groups got together and filed a petition, I bet something would happen. How many influential groups do those concerned about this matter belong to? Bitching on a board definitely WON'T get anything done. 

Sure the politicos want you to think you are powerless. Pay your taxes and whatever bills you are given and shut up. But, in the mean time they are scared to death you will wake up and flex your economic muscles. Yet expats are their own worst enemies. I am afraid (too lazy)to get involved. I am afraid of getting deported, They won't listen. It is a waste of time...Bla Bla Bla.

Many organizations are being invited to the local government change. I know, I  recommended them. How many will come? If everyone showed up wouldn't it be a show of interest and power? Don't you think it will be noticed?

---------------

God this dog has been beaten to death. If you have a permanente visa, the mexican constitution GUARANTEES you all the rights of a mexican except voting. You may not get involved in a political campaign.  Issues relating to your quality of life are not political campaigns. Besides, I'm suggesting representative groups issue the petitions. 

GREAT posts Harry!  

Spoke about this issue of El Gordo yesterday. The good news is that the incoming commandante of mobilidad (state transito) is a real stickler for the rules. I was told he could be relied on to take care of El Gordo if the evidence is given to him. We also talked about potholes, trash, street dogs' poop, one way streets, signage, and abandoned cars.

Harry, what would be considered "evidence"? I've been lucky so far not to be stopped by him, but if I were, I would be concerned that taking his photo would not be well received by him even if I said "sonrie para la camera"!

He is very careful not to be seen accepting a bribe. He will threaten you with arrest/confiscation, etc., but he will often suggest that you leave money on the seat and step out of the car.  If you can get him to this point, and happen to have a recording device in your pocket, you might have "evidence".

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

He is very careful not to be seen accepting a bribe. He will threaten you with arrest/confiscation, etc., but he will often suggest that you leave money on the seat and step out of the car.  If you can get him to this point, and happen to have a recording device in your pocket, you might have "evidence".

This is beginning to sound like a new TV series of LAPD also like entrapment... in which case the whole exercise could be non admissible ... RV ,most  of us have problems  finding  our car keys let alone messing with recoding devices 😖🙄😫

Incidentally what has happened to Alberto,  i have not seen him around 

Spenser McMullen wrote an excellent guide to the Jalisco traffic laws back in 2014 and they are basically the same today. You can find it at

http://chapalalaw.com/Driving.pdf 

It is quite long but pay special attention to extortion and abuse of power. Reasons for which the transitos may stop you and the reasons they may tow your car. Everything they are doing in La Canacinta is against the law. Don't be afraid to tell them to go to hell, there is nothing they can do . They don't want to go to prison

There is also a Federal Law that guarantees the right of passage whether you are walking, riding or driving a car. Can't find it at the moment but will post if I do.

Maybe Spenser knows the Federal law

Don't be afraid if you are stopped just look the officer in the eye and say "It's a little early for Christmas isn't it Officer?" he will get the message.

More Info: https://themazatlanpost.com/2018/09/19/the-police-can-not-perform-routine-checks-they-are-illegal-in-mexico/

3 hours ago, dave0415 said:

Spenser McMullen wrote an excellent guide to the Jalisco traffic laws back in 2014 and they are basically the same today. You can find it at

http://chapalalaw.com/Driving.pdf 

It is quite long but pay special attention to extortion and abuse of power. Reasons for which the transitos may stop you and the reasons they may tow your car. Everything they are doing in La Canacinta is against the law. Don't be afraid to tell them to go to hell, there is nothing they can do . They don't want to go to prison

There is also a Federal Law that guarantees the right of passage whether you are walking, riding or driving a car. Can't find it at the moment but will post if I do.

Maybe Spenser knows the Federal law

Don't be afraid if you are stopped just look the officer in the eye and say "It's a little early for Christmas isn't it Officer?" he will get the message.

Iam not sure  wnere you come up with your conclusions or understand what is going on

I would also suggest you add a get me out of jail/or car from the pound card for any Newbie reading your suggestion

11 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Iam not sure  wnere you come up with your conclusions or understand what is going on

I would also suggest you add a get me out of jail/or car from the pound card for any Newbie reading your suggestion

The answer is that you do not go to jail in the first place. What the transitos are doing is against both State and Federal laws. Exercise your rights and leave them standing at the side of the road

I hope you read Spenser's document. If you did not you are making very misinformed comments. 

If you read the document you will  understand my comments. After 10 years i have no fear of the transitos. If they stop me for a reason such as speeding I have no problem. If they stop me to check documents I say no and leave.

Carry a copy of Spenser's document in the car and show them you know the law

Archived