Chapala.com Webboard
RCman

Salvador’s Restaurant

When we left in May this year, Salvador’s had been sold and we were anticipating the new  owners would open a new restaurant. I have not seen any reports on this board about the new eatery . Any info in this regard?

• Haha 1

A month ago the plan was to have it ready to open by the end of Sep. I looked at the inside of the structure a week ago and it did look like it was indeed getting close to being finished, I hope by maybe as early as the end of Sep.

It will no longer be Salvador's however.  Last I heard it was some guy from Denver going to open up a Mediterranean restaurant.

• Like 1

Sadly for those of us who just eat to live and looki g for a consistent meal at a cheap price Salvadors is a major loss..maybe we can can apply for food stamps from DIF

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

With the money being spent on improvements, renovations, a second floor Terraza and who knows what else, this looks like it is going to be a quality, first class restaurant with premium foods and prices. It will be a welcome change to dismal, dull and now defunct, Salvador's. Another step up the ladder to change Ajijic from small town to big time tourist draw. I think it's going to be a showplace and a popular upscale destination.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Al!  Bite your tongue. We need to upgrade Ajijic from small town to big time tourist draw?  Have you been ensnarled in the traffic lately in our "small town"? (And it wasn't me who put that ha ha moji on your message.) No, we're good.

Lexy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Al Berca said:

With the money being spent on improvements, renovations, a second floor Terraza and who knows what else, this looks like it is going to be a quality, first class restaurant with premium foods and prices. It will be a welcome change to dismal, dull and now defunct, Salvador's. Another step up the ladder to change Ajijic from small town to big time tourist draw. I think it's going to be a showplace and a popular upscale destination.

Good one Al, I get it.

Ajijic is getting more sophisticated. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Just like the new Argentinian restaurant on Colon is a wake up call for Tango; this one might be a problem to nearby Alex's Pasta Bar. Hopefully there is enough business for the old timers as well as the newbies. Restaurant scene lakeside is evolving

• Haha 3

Actually, I am with a lot of others so unhappy losing Salvadors and the thought of going from a cosy quiet retirement area to a bustling overpriced small town is kinda outside my reasons for being here. I knew what we had here and was and still is happy to be in Chapala for the long term. I am way past hoping for future expensive growth in this lovely Mexican retirement area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is already a big tourist draw, both from NOB and Mexico. We do not need any more tourists, we are overloaded. The new restaurant on Colon is unfortunately part of a chain. I have found them to be uninspiring and do like the locally owned and operated. They usually have more to offer while not being overpriced. YMMV

• Like 2

I think there is little danger of small independent restaurants going away lake side. Favorite restaurants we love like Yves, La Terraza, Brunos, and Go have a big local following and support. The upscale restaurants will be utilized by the Tapitios and some of the Gringos on special occasions. But the community is changing. I think there is room for all

On 9/13/2018 at 5:21 PM, Hal said:

But the community is changing. I think there is room for all

Ahhh but is there room on the Caraterra and anywhere to park? They've added shops around the corner and more shops inside. Could get interesting.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:16 AM, Hal said:

Ajijic is getting more sophisticated. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Just like the new Argentinian restaurant on Colon is a wake up call for Tango; this one might be a problem to nearby Alex's Pasta Bar. Hopefully there is enough business for the old timers as well as the newbies. Restaurant scene lakeside is evolving

Sophisticated when they can not organised payment of their bill to the local landfill. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

the trash issue is Chapala's fault. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doesn’t matter whose “fault” it is. Difficult to be a sophisticated up-scale tourist draw with piles of garbage on the corners. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Doesn’t matter whose “fault” it is. Difficult to be a sophisticated up-scale tourist draw with piles of garbage on the corners. 

Yes, and that's probably the main reason they didn't get the 'Pueblo Magico' ranking.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Ahhh but is there room on the Caraterra and anywhere to park? They've added shops around the corner and more shops inside. Could get interesting.

And they took away the parking spaces in front to extend the patio there.  So even less parking.

Expanded restaurant, more shops, heavier traffic, and fewer parking spaces. Sounds like fun!

17 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

"Take Paradise

Put up a Parking Lot"

I think the words were more "they paved Paradise and put up a parking lot".

They did pave it, but missed the parking lot feature here.  We could use one.😎