Chapala.com Webboard

medical insurance--Canadian snowbird

stuphel

I am 67 years old, a Canadian who spends just under 180 days each year Lakeside.  I own a house and have my Permanente.    I understand I am eligible for Seguro Popular, and intend to apply as soon as I arrive in November.  

I have OHIP in Ontario, but no additional health insurance that covers me out of province.   I would like to look into additional insurance covering my time in Mexico each year, but do not need a 12 month annual policy.

I have hypertension (under good control with medication for over 25 years) and take a blood thinner prophylactically as I had a clot in my leg less than a year ago.  

Could anyone advise me as to options to look into?  I have done some research, but end up more confused than edified when I search online.  

My understanding of Seguro Popular is that you cannot have ANY other Mexican medical insurance(IMSS, ISSTE, or private) if you are with them. So suggest you either look at travel insurance for your time here, Mexican agents that can issue short term policy, or get SP and rely on that if you need it.

Am I wrong?  I thought if you had a Permante status you could only be out of country for a more limited amount of time.

As to the insurance, why not visit with some of the excellent agencies that specialize in insurance coverage here at Lakeside when you arrive.

6 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Am I wrong?  I thought if you had a Permante status you could only be out of country for a more limited amount of time.

As to the insurance, why not visit with some of the excellent agencies that specialize in insurance coverage here at Lakeside when you arrive.

Once you have Permanente status, you are a free bird and can leave as long as you like.  Temporals have limits.

Stuphel, IF you had to undergo an emergency medical procedure here, you CAN submit to OHIP for reimbursement OR you can submit as a medical deduction on your income taxes. This would require having the "hospital" detailed paperwork in your hand. OHIP or other provinces are usually happy to pay for what would have cost a lot more in Canada.

That last sentence is important for anyone having a procedure done whether they live here full time or not. It's your proof for anything untoward that should take place afterwards.

'OHIP or other provinces are usually happy to pay for what would have cost a lot more in Canada.'

Ferret, The OHIP out-of-country emergency medical coverage is a lot more limited than I, or most people, understand.  Two years ago, I had a meniscus tear resulting from an accident, and the doctor recommended I have arthroscopic surgery ASAP, as I could not drive (could barely walk) and we drive to Mexico and back with our two dogs.  I had the procedure, which involved an MRI, an overnight hospital stay, and some appointments after the surgery.  I submitted all the paperwork to OHIP, including all doctor's paperwork, and a claim for about $3000.   I received a cheque for $33 (the initial doctor's appointment) and was told I should have flown back and had the work done in Ontario.   I looked into appealing, but when I looked at a number of appeal decisions (you can see them online) I realized that virtually nobody who appealed under the OHIP out-of-country rules received any compensation at all, and a number of them were truly emergency cases where they didn't, in my mind, have alternatives to medical treatment in the foreign land.  I was able to submit my claims against my income tax for the year, and received some recompense.  That experience taught me not to rely on OHIP for out-of-country emergency medical, and is why I am looking into alternatives now.   

Things have changed then. Thanks for the update. Sad... and stupid of OHIP to now be so narrowminded in their thinking.

You may want to look into Guardian Insurance. I don't know if they will just cover you for the six months but their plans are VERY reasonably priced per month for an annual fee... especially if you choose Worldwide but excluding the United States.

http://www.insidelakeside.com/t20487-welcome-to-guardian-insurance

Strange, if you buy a travel Insurance policy, they always want to know which province you are affiliated with? That way they adjust what they can claim on your/their behalf. Imagine u pay thru your taxes then you pay a third party insurer to do the paperwork all the while they are hooked up directly to OHIP claims. Some system, there is policy, they are just choosing to ignore 90% of all claims. Persist contact your MPP, contact the minister of Health Contact, the head of your LINE (sp) Do it again, your retired, they are not & wish u would go away! Of course this is now the run of mini trumpet, he wants to save us money??????

I have been down here full time since July 2009 and cannot get private insurance here because of an existing condition.  So I have been paying as I go and have had a couple of hospital stays and a few minor surgeries.  I find that the cost is not overwhelming, but I do realize that if I do get seriously sick it could cost a lot of money.  So if you are a 6-monther here, which from your comment above indicagtes, I would suggest just paying as you go and if anything serious arises then get back to Canada for treatment as quickly as you can.  Medical evac. insurance might be worthwhile, but you will have to decide that. 

The trouble with evacuation is that you must be stable first, which can mean hospitalization in Guadalajara until you are fit to travel. If you can travel, you can probably just go home to recover. So, I see no great advantage, if any at all, to evacuation plans. Guadalajara's private hospitals are very good, and I have the experience to prove it.

Archived