Chapala.com Webboard

Pancho's Deli/Grocery

Carnivore

It appears that Pancho (formerly the manager of Superlake) despite considerable success in his new (but very cramped quarters next to El Barco) is opening in new quarters in October.  Hopefully he'll become even more like "La Casita" in Guadalajara which, for those that know, has, for years had no equal in this part of Mexico for quality U.S. food products at "sensible" (That's a word simply no longer used at Superlake) prices.

Certainly hope so Pancho!  Good luck and keep up the great progress!

See:   https://maps.apple.com/place?address=Avenida Terranova 594%2C Lomas de Providencia%2C 44670 Guadalajara%2C JAL%2C México&auid=1349427535502621759&ll=20.68593488612068%2C-103.38678084204615&q=La Casita Delicatessen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know where this new store is going to be?  He has a sign up at his old place saying to visit his new store ... but there isn't an address listed on the sign.  I really don't understand paying for 2 big signs advertising a new store with no address given.

19 hours ago, Carnivore said:

La Casita" in Guadalajara which, for those that know, has, for years had no equal in this part of Mexico for quality U.S. food products at "sensible" (That's a word simply no longer used at Superlake) prices.

Agree. Worth the trip if you have a list or just to go and browse and see what's what.  Parking can be difficult to find on the street at times, but in that eventuality there's a small shopping plaza a few blocks away where you can park cheaply.

Pancho told me a couple weeks ago they would open last week of Sept. Now I see a sign on the current store for early Oct. There will be a grocery, deli and restaurant operated by Ismat from Gossips. Speaking of the earlier referenced La Casita Deli in Guadalajara, was there this past Friday. Amazing store. Tillamook cheese finally! 594 Ave Terranova, north of Ave Mexico and west of Lopez Mateo Norte. 

Be forwarned, there are no prices posted for stuff. They are generally cheaper than what SuperLake USED to charge when Pancho was running it and certainly cheaper than currently being run. 

Great deli too. 

NO PROBLEM IN QUICKLY OBTAINING THE PRICE ON ANY ITEM.  AT LEAST TWO BAR CODE READERS IN THE STORE - THE ONE AT THE DELI IS THE MOST HANDY - AND UNLIKE MANY STORES I'VE ALWAYS FOUND THE READERS TO BE INSTANTLY OPERATIONAL.  THE DELI IN THIS STORE IS AMAZING - TRY A GREAT SANDWICH SOMETIME!  AS FOR PARKING ON-SITE, IT'S TERRIBLE AS THIS STORE IS SUPER BUSY ALMOST ALWAYS.  PARK ON A NEARBY STREET OR IN THE PLAZA PARKING LOT AT THE CORNER OF TERRANOVA AND MANUEL ACUNA AND WALK.  IT'S CLOSE AND WORTH IT!

51 minutes ago, Wookie said:

You can also purchase Tillamook cheese at Costco.

If you like your cheddar packaged in a smaller size, may I suggest the NAVARRO cheddar in Walmart (in the upright coolers between the boxed milk and the bakery)? Preferably the ANEJO (aged). This is a good, white sharp cheddar that is made in Mexico. It is now my favourite cheddar... reasonably priced, correctly sized for a one person household and TASTES GOOD!

They have the basic Navarro cheddar, which is quite mild and close to the taste of cheese curds from back home, and Extra Anejo, which is aged longer than the Anejo. Very, very much like cheddar back home. I was in Farmacia Guadalajara on Saturday, and even they are carrying the Navarro brand (which sells any type of Mexican cheese you can think of, just about, including slices). This year Navarro is really pushing their product. I stopped buying the good stuff (Tillamook and one other) at CostCo because of the size and the cash outlay, too. And as Canadians, I like to think Ferret and I know our cheddars.

The Navarro sharp, aged, white cheddar has been available at Walmart for several years. It's really good. I haven't be to Walmart in a long time, but it used to be in a black or almost black package? The other mild Navarro cheddar isn't worth the plastic wrap it's packaged in.

Back to Pancho's SuperSomethingSomedaySoon!

I disagree. If I may make a suggestion: I talked about this cheese many moons ago, because it was the first one I tried, and I was so disappointed at the mildness. BUT then I realized I had been pointed in the wrong direction: the person who recommended the Navarro did not say anything about anejo, which I bought next. The basic cheddar is, as I said, very much like curd, which is a favourite purchase from the cheese factories around where I grew up. What is curd good for, apart from chewing fresh out of the factory, all squeaky and bouncy? Melting! It also makes the best poutine topping you could ask for around here, if you like to smother your fries with cheese and gravy.

" In the cheesemaking process, the curds are placed in a mold and put under weight to drive the residual whey out and achieve a nice, tightly bonded wheel. Cheese curds are the loose particles or chunks of cheese that form after the curd is cut and drained, and before it is molded (or "hooped"). "

But in terms of eating the Navarro basic it by its lonesome, I wouldn't either... although I have a friend who much prefers it to the sharp. And do try the anejo, then the extra anejo, and I think you will be suitably impressed.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I disagree. If I may make a suggestion: I talked about this cheese many moons ago, because it was the first one I tried, and I was so disappointed at the mildness. BUT then I realized I had been pointed in the wrong direction: the person who recommended the Navarro did not say anything about anejoI, which I bought next. The basic cheddar is, as I said, very much like curd, which is a favourite purchase from the cheese factories around where I grew up. What is curd good fo, apart from chewing fresh out of the factory, all squeaky and bouncy? Melting! It also makes the best poutine topping you could ask for around here, if you like to smother your fries with cheese and gravy.

" In the cheesemaking process, the curds are placed in a mold and put under weight to drive the residual whey out and achieve a nice, tightly bonded wheel. Cheese curds are the loose particles or chunks of cheese that form after the curd is cut and drained, and before it is molded (or "hooped"). "

But in terms of eating the Navarro basic it by its lonesome, I wouldn't either... although I have a friend who much prefers it to the sharp. And do try the anejo, then the extra anejo, and I think you will be suitably impressed.

Where do you buy the extra añejo?  I have only seen añejo.

Carnivore, your OP is something most of us have known for several months. In other words, it's old news.

I, for one, was hoping that Pancho would take note and carry Navarro Cheddar... both Anejo and Extra Anejo. Superlake certainly does not.

Sadly, posts that are hi-jacked are the primary reason that many, many of the longer term Lakeside residents have given up on this web-site.  We understand that it would be  impossible for the moderator to successfully oversee the proofing of responses to ensure that people remain on topic.  Sadly, a significant number of people, like ourselves, very seldom, if ever,  respond to posts, for exactly the same reason because we simply don't want to sift through useless drivel that has zero to do with the original post.  Nor to we post very often "unless" we think we have something that might be of value to newcomers!   I don't believe this site was intended to be a 'lonely hearts club" nor a platform for "fledgeling writers" who have no other available forum.

Wow. I'm impressed. You've just written all the new rules. Congrats. I hope they offer you the job. But look:

• You made a post. You didn't ask a question. You made a statement.
  • It was already a well-known fact to those on here.
  • If you didn't want any responses, you could have mentioned that.
  • Chat board threads wander, always have, and that is one of the attractions.

And by continuing to be so damned judgmental, you have now hijacked your own post twice. However, I'm glad you are able to tell us about all the people "like ourselves" and why they don't post. By the way, I'm not hijacking this post. I'm simply carrying on your new thread.

I found the cheese thread very helpful.  I did not know about the extra anejo Navarro cheese.  I had tried the regular Navarro at Walmart and did not like it.  I agree it seems some times posts get off the topic but the posts can be interesting and useful.  Isn't this the intent of the forum?

Archived