Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Driver's License

virgogirl

My license for the states is expiring mid_October. Can someone tell me if you can get the license here at Lakeside? I think one must go to Guad. Also heard about folks going to Ocotlan. I have a friend who used a helper, but I don't think I need that. Just where to go. I have the list of documents needed. Thanks for your tips and experiences.

1 hour ago, jrod said:

There are several driver license locations. If you don't want to wait on the lines, the one named above takes appointments, which you can make at: citas.jalisco.gob.mx/Movilidad

Yes, there are several. But for a first time license I believe you have to go to the main location  in Guad as indicated by Brian. And you will have to do a test and a driver's test. Don't know about Ocotlan for first-timers.

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

Yes, there are several. But for a first time license I believe you have to go to the main location  in Guad as indicated by Brian. And you will have to do a test and a driver's test. Don't know about Ocotlan for first-timers.

Yes, the one Brian mentioned and I noted above IS the main one. It's there you can make an appointment via their online calendar. Note, ironically, it's difficult to find a parking spot nearby.

3 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Our facilitator said if you have any current license you don’t have to take the driving test. 

Non-expired MEXICAN license, from any State.  At least that is what happened to us moving here from the State of Sonora.  Took a written test only.

thanks for all the information. very helpful. Yes, the parking is horrific in that area. I'd probably go by Chapala Plus to taxi or bus. Can anyone suggest what one could do to study for the written test? I'm sure it is in Spanish. I do have some command of the language, but always concerned about running into important words i don't know.

Some folks have used the "helpers" to go do this, but to me it sounds expensive and like something I wouldn't need. However, I'd consider it. 

What is the easiest way to replace my lost mx driver license ? I used a helper to get it initially without any tests , but they are out of business now.

I  have a copy but was told by a policeman using it could be big problems

I respect the use of "helpers" to take you in and out of the city; however, I speak Spanish and don't need these things. I also used to live in GDL so know my way around. My friend just got back for the states and also needs here licence. She said she was aware that if you got to Ocotlan they usually fail you on the drivers test, then you pay the mordida and get the licence. sounds a little dicey, but we have taken trips there just for the fun of it, so wouldn't be a bad drive. GDL seems easy to me. Take Chapala Plus, then a taxi, do business, take a taxi or bus back to bus station, Chapala Plus home. 

We are checking at the Municipal building in Chapala later this week to see when they are coming to Chapala again. I will report back. 

As for the person who needs a replacement card, I'd ask at the Transito Vial. I saw handout sheets in there in English some time ago.

Archived