Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel Amigo Plan

franky

8 hours ago, FrankyOP said:

Can someone here clafiry the difference between using code SL150 vs INT150? 

So basically with the SL, you could make phone calls and text messages to anyone in North America?  You could also roam anywhere in North America? 

The INT basically gives you more data but you can't make calls or text messages to anyone in North America?  And you cannot use it to roam in US or Canada?  

Exactly- Sin Limites works well if you use your phone a lot for calling or texting, and works in the US and Canada as well. I can call my family and friends in Canada from Mexico and gab for hours- it's an incredible deal.

The Internet package works well if you are using a lot of data.

What I actually have are 2 phones- an old school Nokia dumb phone that I put Sin Limites on and use for my calling and texting, and a smart phone with tethering that connects to my laptop, which I put the Internet package on. (I have no choice re Internet- there are no phone lines where I live, so cell-based is the only Internet option)

Also something else I found- If you buy the Internet package, pay-as-you-go and ask them to enter it as such when you pay at Oxo or wherever, you only get the amount of GBs that come with your package. If you just give them your number and tell them "Normal" and then enter the INT300 (Int 500, whatever you choose) and text it to 5050 yourself, you will also get regalo- when your GBs run out for the package, that regalo will kick in until it is used up (it motors through data at a much more expensive rate, but at least you get something out of the regalo, rather than having it build up, never to be used).

For instance, last month I received the notice that my Internet package had expired, but I was able to be online for 5 additional days until the 900 pesos of regalo ran out. 5 days of internet for 900 pesos is outrageously expensive, but hey, it came free with my package.

Okay so the Sin Limite is if you do lot of calling and texting.  But this is with your telcel number though.  So if you had a google voice number on your phone for example... i use this to call ppl in the us and send/receive text... then this isn't a big deal right?  I almost never make phone calls from my cell phone number with telcel ever and almost never text message ever.  

Also you say ppl who call and text.  Well don't you get unlimited whatsapp though?  Because you can call people and message on whatsapp and all the data you use for whatsapp... its unlimited right since thats included and not related to the 1gb for the month?

So basically if you are in mexico and do not call or text ppl with your telcel phone number... just go with the INT as oppose to SL right since you get much more data?  If you are outside Mexico or plan to be outside of Mexico soon or if you call a lot and text from your telcel number... then use the SL code?  What i dont understand is why do ppl call or text much with it ... assuming they have whatsapp?   Now if whatsapp was not included... then i obviously understand what you want to use SL as oppose to INT.

I know the INT is for ppl who want more data.  But if you don't ever or rarely call or text from your telcel number... then shouldn't you might as well get the INT anyway?

Also the bonus data they are giving you... does anyone know how long this has been going on?  Is this promo going to end soon?

https://www.telcel.com/promociones/amigo/paquetes-internet-doble-de-megas

So this double the data is only if you choose the internet option thus INT.  Does this promo end soon or how long has it lasted?

So if you choose SL150, do you only get 1gb of data or you get 50% bonus so 1.5gb?  If you enter SL200, do you get 1.5gb or 2.25gb since they say 50% more?  Whenever you over the data, you always get a message that you went over it right?

Franky your questions are endless and hard to make sense of, sorry. It's hard to help you because you just have more and the same questions. No one has any idea when Telcel decides to change the amount of time, or data you get on a package, or how long a plan, package or offer will be available. They change things all the time.

Why don't you just get one type of package, try it for a month, then try another and compare how long it lasts and what it costs for what you want to use it for? That seems a lot simpler than trying to wrap your head around all this.

As for your question about Whatsapp- I don't use it because I don't use a smart phone- no smart phone, no apps. I happen to be someone who believes the less things one "joins", the better. Facebook owns whatsapp- I don't like Facebook, don't use it, ditto for Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, all that social media. The more places you are signed up with, the more opportunity for someone to hack your personal information. Phoning and texting works just fine for me. And people are always saying Whatapp is free- it isn't- it uses data that you pay for. Even if you get unlimited Whatsapp on your package, you've paid for that package.

mudgirl... Well it says whatsapp is free and unlimited.  So say you get the 1gb data plan thus the SL150 plan.  If you use whatsapp to make video calls... which obviously uses a lot of data... does that count against the 1gb of data you have for the month?  Or if you use facebook and do a lot of things on it which uses some data.  Does that count against your data whether you have the 1gb or 3gb?

I have used many of these plans before.  But i dont want to intentionally use up 1gb of data fast just to find out if whatsapp does not count.  Thus i could make a few video calls and use up 1gb easily if i wanted to.  But would i still have data left or not?  The wording is confusing because if they say whatsapp is included and unlimited along with facebook and twitter... i would think...so that doesn't count as my 1gb data.  I dont think this is a confusing question at all.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I don't know if I am muddying the waters, I have read through the thread. I have sin limites. In Mexico, I can call Canada using 011-52-areacode-number. 

But now I am in Canada. and I want to be able to text and call friends here using my sin limites plan. I've tried calling 011-52-areacode-number, 01-areacode-number, 1-areacode-number, areacode-number, but nothing's working.

I am able to go online, so I know I'm on  a mobile network (we're definitely not using the wireless in the house here, this phone's never been in this house and we haven't connected, and also I have wifi turned off on the phone). 

Does anyone know the dialing sequence to dial from a Mexican cell in Canada to a Canadian number? Thanks!

On 4/25/2019 at 12:33 AM, FrankyOP said:

mudgirl... Well it says whatsapp is free and unlimited.  So say you get the 1gb data plan thus the SL150 plan.  If you use whatsapp to make video calls... which obviously uses a lot of data... does that count against the 1gb of data you have for the month?  Or if you use facebook and do a lot of things on it which uses some data.  Does that count against your data whether you have the 1gb or 3gb?

I have used many of these plans before.  But i dont want to intentionally use up 1gb of data fast just to find out if whatsapp does not count.  Thus i could make a few video calls and use up 1gb easily if i wanted to.  But would i still have data left or not?  The wording is confusing because if they say whatsapp is included and unlimited along with facebook and twitter... i would think...so that doesn't count as my 1gb data.  I dont think this is a confusing question at all.

Frank. WhatsApp and other social media has a limite of its own.... of 1Gb/month, since voice calls were introduced. So, voice call, video calls or whatnot, they will impose a 1GB limit on the unlimited use. Check the app, or the site balance, the unlimited services have their own section. All of those will pull from that same bucket.

And, use the recharge amount when you want to compare, Telcel and AT&T keep updating their plans with promos, so the effective data received is almost always different than what the plan says. So say 100 MXN as an example it will be easier.

Learn Spanish, and ask customer care, all of this would have been answered in 5min.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, mel150 said:

Hi, I don't know if I am muddying the waters, I have read through the thread. I have sin limites. In Mexico, I can call Canada using 011-52-areacode-number. 

But now I am in Canada. and I want to be able to text and call friends here using my sin limites plan. I've tried calling 011-52-areacode-number, 01-areacode-number, 1-areacode-number, areacode-number, but nothing's working.

I am able to go online, so I know I'm on  a mobile network (we're definitely not using the wireless in the house here, this phone's never been in this house and we haven't connected, and also I have wifi turned off on the phone). 

Does anyone know the dialing sequence to dial from a Mexican cell in Canada to a Canadian number? Thanks!

52 is Mexico. 1 is CAN/USA. From Canada, to call Canadian numbers call on your cellphone +1-(area)+number, e.g: +18005551212.

To call Mexico cellular, from Canada, dial +52+1(area)+(number) eg: +525511234567. You need to add a 1 to cellular when calling from abroad.

No trunk codes, all of the 044 and 045 are going away in August anyway.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:46 AM, mel150 said:

13 hours ago, Paco1974 said:

52 is Mexico. 1 is CAN/USA. From Canada, to call Canadian numbers call on your cellphone +1-(area)+number, e.g: +18005551212.

To call Mexico cellular, from Canada, dial +52+1(area)+(number) eg: +525511234567. You need to add a 1 to cellular when calling from abroad.

No trunk codes, all of the 044 and 045 are going away in August anyway.

You are both confused. When you are calling Canada from Mexico you dial 001 and the Canadian area code and number.

When you are in Canada, to phone or text a Canadian number, you just dial it as if you were dialing from a Canadian phone- no other prefixes, just the area code and number. That's if the person you're calling is in the same area. If it would be a long distance call within Canada, then you do have to use 1 before the number, just as you would from a Canadian phone.

When you are in Canada, your Mexican phone basically becomes a Canadian phone, so dial accordingly, just like you were dialing from a Canadian phone. 

The only difference is that when friends and family call you on your Mexican phone while you are in Canada, they will have to dial as if you were in Mexico, 011 52-1, then the 10 digit number and it will be a long distance call for them, even though you are in Canada.

• 6 months later...

I have a bit of an issue with my phone. I don't know why all of a sudden iMessage doesn't work like it has the past month, before my plan ran out. I have  the paquete amigo sin limite that I bought in Guanajuato back in late June. I haven't been reloading it until I got back to the US, I'm currently in California and it registers as T-Mobile. I started using Xoom with my credit card in November, and it's been working like a charm, but now I can't send iMessage games and regular imessage texts don't send as quickly as they used to. It used to work just fine, until the day of it expiring. I decided to wait until the next day to reload it, but it has been very spotty since. That was a couple days ago. Any tips? Could this be because of T-Mobile? Should I take it to the apple store or to a tmobile store? I don't know what to do.