Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel Amigo Plan

franky

What cell phone plan do most of you use?  I have an iphone and i have telcel and the amigo plan.  Every month i have to put at least 50 pesos because if i don't, i cannot use the pesos i have on my phone.  Apparently if you put 50 pesos, its good for 1 month.  But if you put 100 pesos, its good for 2 months.  I would use data on my phone by entering codes to 5050 such as int50 which would give me 7 days of data of 400mb.  That would deduct 50 pesos from my credit.  But if i put another code like int150, then i would get like 28 days of data for like 150 pesos and i believe i get 1.5gb of data etc. 

What confuses me is i notice in the telcel site, it said if you use 400mb and 50 pesos... you get 500mb worth of what looks like facebook, twitter, something else and whatsapp.  Can someone explain to me what this means?  So if you use facebook, twitter or whatsapp, you get 500mb worth for the 7 days... and this doesn't count toward the 400mb you have for the week?  Also does anyone know what is the other app that is shown that includes?  I posted the link below from the telcel site.  Also there are like 2 more apps shown when you use pay 100 peso or more.  What are the names of these apps?

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/paquetes#!mb-para-tu-amigo

Also i noticed when you enter a code where you pay 100 pesos or more, you get unlimited facebook, twitter and whatsapp... is that correct?  Thus if you use facebook, twitter or whatsapp, none of this would count toward the 1gb or 1.5gb you have etc?  The thing that confuses me is why are there flags of mexico, us and canada there?  It shows it as well for the 400 peso code etc.  Because does any of these plans include local phone calls to Mexico while in Mexico?  Does it include phone calls to the us and canada?  So if you enter the codes for these, you get unlimited calling to the us and canada and mexico numbers?  Or not?   Im guessing it doesn't as when i type it in google translate, it says whatsapp without borders.  But what does that mean?

Does anyone know what is the charge per minute... for calls from Telcel cell phone to other mexican cell phones?  What about to the us and canada?  Because i believe its 1 peso per minute to other mexican numbers... but it has to be a local number right the same one as you use?  And calls to the us from the mexican telcel cell phone iphone is 2 pesos a minute?  Also how much does it cost to send a text/receive a text from your telcel cell phone to another mexican number?  Is it 1 peso per text?  Is it only when sending though?

The thing is as you know in the US, when you pay for monthly plan like tmobile etc, you pay the amount and you get x amount of data and unlimited phone calls and texts.  But with telcel, i believe you cannot?  Also im curious are there any monthly plans here where you pay x amount of pesos a month and you get unlimited phone calls and texts but of course have a set amount of data per month?  I know lot of ppl here in mexico communicate via whatsapp but even if they do, they still need data to do it right?  Thus if you don't have data, well you can't use whatsapp.  I don't make any local phone calls here or text other mexican numbers much because i mainly use whatsapp, but curious what most of you do.  Thus i assume when most of you are outside, well you have your data turned on right?  

Also wanted to ask something else.  If you are in the US, you could use your mexican telcel cell phone with no issue right?  But are there roaming fees?

But instead of the link i posted above, you have to use the paquetes amigo sin limite?  So you enter one of those codes below when in the US to use data?  This is same site and link but you click on the pacquetes amigo sin limite on the left.

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/paquetes#!paquetes-amigo-sin-limite

Now what happens if you are in Mexico and you are already using one of those plans that is 28 days and you still have days left.  Then you go to the US for a while.   Could you use the current data plan you activated while in Mexico in the US?  Or would you have to enter a new code like SL150 to be able to use the data in the US?  And what happens to your current data?  I like to know are there heavy fees when using the data plan in the US though? 

I would not be using it to make phone calls but would be using data and using google hangouts to call and text.  But also would use the data a bit.  So i like to know how this would work.  

• Sad 1

Hi there thanks for that link, i did not know about this.  

Okay so a bit confused on this.  So basically with amigo sin limite,  i can make unlimited calls to anyone in mexico, us and canada  from my mexican cell phone number whether in mexico or the us?  Is that correct?

But the Amigo por segundo,

its only valid in mexico while in mexico?  But you also dont get unlimited calling to any other mexican number or us/canada number?

Because on the telcel website, it shows pacquete amigo sin limit, internet para tu amigo, internet por tiempo. 

What is most confusing is that there are several Telcel Amigo plans. I have the first one introduced, which is great for me but does not give me free calls in the US or Canada.

I would not have this plan if I did not have a US landline and internet where I can use my VoIP (internet) Ooma phone .

Franky- because I don't use my cell phone for data (I actually use a dumb phone) I've found the Sin Limites 100 peso paquete works best for me.Yes, I can make unlimited calls and texts to anywhere in North America (which of course includes Mexico). It used to last for 25 days when they first introduced it a few years ago, then they cut it down to 21 days, and recently to 17.  But it's still bit more cost effective than the 150 and up, if you work it out per day, if you're not using it for data. And if I did use a smart phone with data, yes, the Whatsapp, Twitter and Facebook mbs would not count against the rest of the data allowed. 

Hi there.  The sin limites 100 pesos paquete that last for 17 days, so that is 800mb of data and unlimited calls and text message from the telcel number to anyone number in north america right?  But if you don't put a code for any plan, you will get charged per call/text correct?  Do you know how much it cost per minute to another mexican number?  What about a us number?  Is it 1 peso per minute for mexican number and 2 peso a minute to us number?  And what about text message?

I looked at the chart but isn't 28 day the best value?  You pay 150 instead of 100 but you get 28 days instead of 17 days.

But when i look at the internet plan, its 100 peso and 17 day and get 1gb of data as oppose to 800mb.  But the difference is with that plan, you cannot use it while in the US correct?  And you also don't get unlimited phone and text to us/canada?  But do you get it to other numbers in mexico?

• 3 months later...

I have this plan, but a huge amount, of credit, over 1900 pesos at the moment, because of not using my phone so much.

And it has a only one month every time, so if I would be 1 day late to recharge, it is gone.

Is it possible to hand this credit over to another phone number, like one with the Paquette Sin Limite?

Another idea is, that I pay $5.00 pesos per month instead of $50.00 pesos, so I can use all this credit. Is that possible?

Marga, I don't think there's an option for 5 pesos. The minimum may be 20, but I don't think that lasts for a month. It's frustrating when you can't use all that regalo credit, but it's not like you paid for it in the first place- it's just a promo deal from Telcel. I think a lot of people never end up using it. 

I have the SL200 plan, $200 for 30 days, 1GB of roaming data. Can use it in the US by dialing 1-ac-number. I go to the main TelCel office in Centro Laguna, go to the cashier and give her my phone number and $200. Once my phone receives all the text messages acknowledging the receipt of $200, I send a text message SL200 to 5050 and then I am set.

• 3 months later...

How can I get data on a recharge outside Mexico? I end up with unlimited phone and Facebook, WhatsApp etc. - no data for 200 pesos when I renew. I need data for searches and maps when traveling. Frustrating It was so much easier to walk in to the guy at the Telcel store in Mexico!

I have the Mi Telcel app on my phone and pay monthly from that app. I even have it linked to a U.S. credit card and set up for automatic monthly payments/deposits. Been using it for years with no problems other than when a credit card expired and I forgot to enter the new information. 

Just try the Google or Apple stores and search for Mi Telcel. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/paquetes-end/mb-para-tu-amigo

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/paquetes-end/paquetes-amigo-sin-limite

Does telcel change plans all the time or something?  I mostly used the Int100 or SL100 plan back then which would mean i get either 1gb of data for 17 days for the Int 100 or 800mb of data for 17 days with the SL100.

I just looked at the site and nows its suddenly only 15 days only for the Int100 or SL100?  I notice lot of these days keep on changing.  Is this normal?

The Int150 plan.  The internet for your friend plan as they call it, so its basically more data but you do not get unlimited text and call to the US or Canada or even Mexico?  So you cannot make local or long distance calls in Mexico with it?  This is basically no calls or text but you get an additional bit of data?

Thus the Int150 plan is for 28 days.  So you get 1.5gb of data... but there is a promo for another 1.5gb of data so you get 3gb of data for the month right?  Now what gets confusing is it shows unlimited national social networks and whatsapp without border.  What is that?  So you could use facebook and whatsapp and use video call and that data is unlimited?    There are 5 different logos there which seems to be

1.  Facebook

3.  Twitter

4.  Snapchat

5.  Instagram

So you get to log into these programs and use as much data as you want and it does not count toward your 1.5gb or 3gb data?  Is that correct?  Does anyone know what is the 2nd picture of?

This is the link below.  So this promo has been going on for a long time or its only temporary?  If so, how long has it last for?

https://www.telcel.com/promociones/amigo/paquetes-internet-doble-de-megas

The Amigo Internet Packages include:

• You manage to navigate while in Mexico, the United States or Canada;
  • Social Networks Without Limit in Mexico, and
  • Unlimited WhatsApp in Mexico, the United States and Canada.

The SL150 plan.  This is the friend without limit plan as they call it.  So this plan you get only 1gb of data... but you get unlimited call and text to anywhere in us, canada or mexico?   But apparently there is a promo where you get extra 50 percent so 1.5gb of data?  Does anyone know how long this promo has been going on or its temporary?

But this  SL plan you could use while you are in US or Canada right?  The INT plan... you can only use while in Mexico?

So basically what is the benefit/disadvantage of typing in Int150 vs SL150? 

If you are someone who does not need to make phone calls whether to mexico, us or canada or text message with it, and prefer more data... type in INT150?   Thus say you use your google voice number for example to call and text, then might as well get INT50?

But if you are someone who wants to call and text with your telcel number, use SL150?  So you are giving an extra bit of data for this right?

Im curious but do most of you use the INT plan or SL plan?  Im guessing more of you use the SL plan right?

Too many questions. Yes, TelCel is forever shrinking their plans: number of days, amount of data. right now they have adopted the "gift" plan they've used for phone minutes, and applied to your data, doubling the amount per plan. However, it's not hard to notice that they cut 500 MB off some of those plans to begin with.

On any plan from $10p to $500p, you get "unlimited" social networking: Whatsapp, Facebook, Messenger, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram. And unlimited long distance in North America.

The only reason they don't go by exact months is to ensure you end up paying more and losing your "gift" data, which doesn't carry over. I posted this image last week in another thread. It was current as of last week.

TelCel-paquetes-April-2019.jpg

On 9/8/2018 at 8:16 PM, franky said:

What cell phone plan do most of you use? 

FYI I have 2 carriers (2 sims card), AT&T Mexico and AT&T US. On my phone they display as lusacell and AT&T.  I know the AT&T US is roaming with a company here, I am not sure which company.

The AT&T Mexico plan is unlimited calls and 1.5 gig of data for 199p per month. The plan is called Tu Manera.

The interesting thing was when we were driving from GDL to Coeneo this weekend was how the two coverage indicators on my cell showed that each carrier does not have the same coverage.

Hi there i saw that picture you posted.'

But is what i said about INT and SL correct?  Thus with INT150, there is no free calling to North America and no text messages to North America?  Its basically a lot more data than the SL plan?  The SL150 is unlimited call and text to anyone in north america and you get data but you got much less? 

So with INT150, you get 28 days and get instead of 1.5gb, you get double or 3gb due to promotion?  How long has this promo lasted and it will not last long right?

So with SL150, you get 28 days of unlimited call and text to North America and get 1gb of data only?  Or you get 1.5gb?  There is in data promo for the SL plan?  The other thing is with this plan, you can use it while roaming in US and Canada right but the INT plan, you can only use that while in Mexico?

Thanks.

Can anyone here who use Telcel and use either INT or SL tell me if what i mention above is correct?  The thing was back then i always used INT because i know it was for data.  Then i found out about SL and then started using that instead.  So instead of int100 i then used sl100.  

So if you have no use for your telcel number for calling someone or texting with that number and say you use whatsapp to call/text anyone in Mexico and use your US google voice number to call or text people in the US, then use the INT code instead since you get more data than the SL code?  I could understand having the SL code is good because you can make calls with the telcel number and text but dont most people here use whatsapp for that and thus the calling and text unlimited is pretty much useless if you have a google voice number?

Can someone here clafiry the difference between using code SL150 vs INT150? 

So basically with the SL, you could make phone calls and text messages to anyone in North America?  You could also roam anywhere in North America? 

The INT basically gives you more data but you can't make calls or text messages to anyone in North America?  And you cannot use it to roam in US or Canada?  

For many years I used a pay-as-you-go plan from TelCel--it wasn't really a 'plan', it's just how I used their cell phone service, "recargando" when my balance got low.  I was paying approximately 500 to 1000 pesos for cell service every month.  It was clumsy and inconvenient and often ran out just when I needed it most.  If I were in the USA or Canada, I had to have a SIM card from either of those countries, a new cell phone number that came with the SIM card, and air time that I had to pay for separately.  The light bulb finally went on and I realized that using one of the Sin Limite plans was more cost effective than pay-as-you-go.

This is the plan I have been using for about two years:  https://www.telcel.com//personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/tarifas-y-opciones/telcel-max-sin-limite  I can call land lines or cell phones in the USA and Canada, both from Mexico and when I am in either of the other two countries.  The Telcel website clearly tells you what you can and can't do using any of their plans; I'm not sure why there is so much confusion about this.  

I arranged with Telcel for my bill to be paid automatically every month, the money deducted on X date from my Mexican bank account.  Works like a charm, I never have to be concerned about it.  

That's interesting. On the plan I have, $200/mo, I get exactly everything you do except 2,000MB less Internet. But on the plan page you posted, to get what I get, a user would pay $399... twice as much. The one difference I see is that I have to go and renew it myself.

The confusion on this thread is Franky keeps using the terms INT and SL, and I have no idea what that means. INTernet and Sin Límite?