Chapala.com Webboard

180 Day Tourist Visa Calculation

franky

Hi there.  I came to Mexico a few months ago by air from the US.  How do i calculate the 180 days ?  Example if i came into Mexico on April 3, does that mean i have to leave Mexico September 29?

I counted it as i came in on April 3, counted that day, then calculated 180 days and t came out to September 29.  But not sure if i calculated it correctly.

1 hour ago, franky said:

Hi there.  I came to Mexico a few months ago by air from the US.  How do i calculate the 180 days ?  Example if i came into Mexico on April 3, does that mean i have to leave Mexico September 29?

I counted it as i came in on April 3, counted that day, then calculated 180 days and t came out to September 29.  But not sure if i calculated it correctly.

You know, there are websites that actually count calendar days for you if you don't want to do it yourself. 

Try one out. It's fun! 

😊

I did not know there was online calculators that calculates dates.  That is new to me.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?m1=04&d1=03&y1=2018&m2=09&d2=29&y2=2018&ti=on

So here it does show if arrived April 3, 180 days is September 29.  When you count 180 days, you include the day you arrive which is April 3rd and the day you are leaving which is September 29 right?  Because if you are not sure well you could be off by a day or two.  So basically this means i have to leave September 29th the latest correct?

Leave on, or before the 29th, as you have calculated.

If you are not sure, get out that calendar; the paper one, and start checking off the days, numbering each one.  When you get to 175, start packing. At 173, head for the border if going by car or bus. If flying, be on time.  Oh, if your plane is delayed, or your flight is cancelled, you are toast.

On second thought: Do you travel much?  Alone?

I know someone who overstays the tourist visa frequently, then goes to the states how this person manages that is telling them that  the visa is lost and paying a fine. Now when i heard that this person was going to do that, I worried the person wouldn't get back in after the month NOB. But the person did come back without trouble. Not something I'd do. but if you overstay you could use that strategy. Not sure if it works for EVERYONE the same. Experiences could vary.

So that person does that often?  Also when they do that, what is the fee they pay?  Its the same as if someone overstayed their visa?  I assume this person is flying back to the US right and flies back into Mexico later on?

Another thing im curious about.  But when you give them the tourist visa at checkin at the airline, how do they know you didn't overstay?  Whether its 1 day or few weeks or few months or etc?  Like when you give it to them, does the computer show them X date etc?  

Another thing im curious about is this.  When you give them the tourist visa at airline checkin, what do they do with it by the way?  Do they keep it with them or do they throw it away at the end of the day?  Example imagine someone travels from the US to Mexico say many times throughout the years.   Obviously when they leave Mexico by air, they give them the tourist visa.  But what exactly does the airline or whoever does with it after you give it to them.  I can't imagine they keep all of them?

Airlines give the stack of FMM cards they collect to the INM office at the airport, probably daily.

The INM enters the data into their data system. If you overstayed the date entered and the airline staff doesn't notice INM will collect a fine sometime in the future when you are at an INM desk, I think. If the airline staff noticed you overstayed they won' t let you board. You will need to go to the INM desk to get a valid FMM card and then return to the boarding gate. FMM cards are serial numbered and have a bar code so some of the info. doesn't need to be typed into their data system, it is already there. FMM tourist cards are tied to your passport. This is how I understand their system.

Archived