Chapala.com Webboard

Recommend Mexican Domain Name Registrar?

utilitus

Am in initial stages of setting up a very small charitable organization promoting on-line math education in Mexico, and hope to design the web presence to be as attractive as possible to students, starting with the name of the project and extending to its' Domain Name etc.  While I have secured a '.com.mx' version of the likely Domain Name with a major US registrar who could only offer that form, I would prefer the  '.mx' or '.org.mx' versions.

Can someone recommend a popular 'national' Mexican Domain Name Registrar which is used by local folks because it is straightforward, competent and reasonably priced?  There are a number of international registrars offering '.mx' registrations which have appalling reputations due to high back end fees and poor service (from Australia, for instance...).

BIG THANKS

7 minutes ago, utilitus said:

promoting on-line math education in Mexico

I do not have a name of a Domain Name Registrar but my question is why do you want to limit or brand the site for Mexico? Is it because it is in Spanish?

Mr. T -

The intuition is that .mx would be more engaging to Mexican kids within the target demographic.  It might be the case that this is backwards, where students at all levels of preparation  might consider '.org' more elegant, considering that the Name itself is in Spanish.  I don't know yet and do appreciate the question.

5 hours ago, MtnMama said:

If you want efficient and cheap, GoDaddy Mexico is a good option

MM, thanks.  A year and a half ago, GoDaddy made a hash of a .com.mx registration on the currency/billing side.  They are scetchy-er than they might seem, but probably better than average.  Basic .MX domains in Mexico appear to run about US$ 40/yr, over twice the generic US rate - not a big deal, but I collect DNames and sometimes TMs when I get an idea and long term costs can accrue. I registered my first DName in 1990 when there were no recurring fees...   

Archived