Chapala.com Webboard

Window/door dust screens

Be strong in the knowledge that you are not alone. Listen, I used to keep my car windows rolled up all the time to keep the dust out, but that got old. And one of the main reasons I have a lady who comes to clean, is because these are tile floors and I really dislike mopping. But imagine the carnage of dust and bugs if I had wall-to-wall carpeting, like back "home".

Have lived here 10 years. It’s dusty. Actually, this is the time of year when it is least dusty. From January until mid-June when the rains return it grows increasingly dusty. In April and May you are breathing dust wherever you go. It is just the way it is. 

Always grateful for July thru October with the least amount of dust.  Otherwise dusting and moist mop every other day.  I don't like to wear shoes in the house and my feet are black at the end of the day and can run a finger thru the surface dust October thru February.  I simply can't keep up with it March, April and May to mid-June.

Living in Mexico requires constant cleaning and maintenance. When I lived in Canada, I used to do a deep clean of every room once a year, and that was adequate, with normal cleaning the rest of the time. Even with 3 kids in the house, the floors didn't require daily sweeping and mopping. Here a room is covered in dead insects, dust, and cobwebs in a day or two.

Here if it isn't the dust, it's the insects or stuff getting moldy in the rainy season. It just comes with the territory.

There must be something wrong with my house then as far as the bugs and mold are concerned. Because neither the insects nor mold tend to be a problem up here in the foothills overlooking Las Salvias and Ajijic. Yes, I do have screen doors and screens covering the windows that I open.

Lighter coloured floors are even worse. The ideal tile colour in Mexico is mottled not solid coloured. Also make sure that your fans are cleaned regularly... and screens washed inside and out.  I use Fabuloso lavender to wash the floors because bugs don't like the smell of lavender.

I've just had my bathroom redone... concrete dust from demolition and red tile dust from cutting. It was unbelievable what collected on every single ceiling fan that I have... even as far as the kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

Two or three generations ago most Mexican homes had the main living area and kitchen on what we would call a porch or veranda. Completely open.  So these days "good enough" is all they strive for in the building trades.  Most windows and doors don't keep out all of the dust, wind, rain, cold, or bugs.  But that seems fine with most of us.  We live in a paradise where we never have a hard freeze so bugs are plentiful all year.  Something is always under construction or repair and most streets are dirt/rock so there is lots of dust. Big wind storms before the rain blow in dust and debris.  Something is almost always burning so smoke and more dust.  But if you are retired and not working 40+ hours a week, it makes all the extra little chores that life in Mexico bring to our lives, a little more tolerable.  I wouldn't trade it for life in the US!  Alan

Archived