Chapala.com Webboard

Bottled water

artsnob

15 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

In the rainy season, I have a 4" pipe that drains the water pouring down off the roof onto my upstairs terrace. I wait until it's been raining hard for an hour, so anything dirty up there has been pounded and washed off, then set my garafons under the pipe, where they fill in about 3 minutes. I'm always sorry when the rainy season ends and I have to go back to buying water. That rain water tastes really good, has never made me sick, and stays sparkling clear in my clear glass water dispenser.

What a great idea,thanks for  sharing 

13 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

What a great idea,thanks for  sharing 

A neighbor has two almost flat, clean roofs. He collects the water from them to his 2 aljibes. I recall one is 60,000 liters and the other is 70,000. This is a common way to collect water in the Caribbean. I would want to purify the water first if I was doing this and wanted to drink it.

It's a great way to collect water. I'm not sure I would drink it without it going through some kind of purification system though. Bird poop, animal poop, dust and rotting leaves?

In the farmhouse that we owned in Ontario, we had an aljibe that we used strictly for rainwater that was used only on the garden. I really wanted to duplicate it in the house we built in San Pancho but the rain here and there does not regularly fall year round. The result would have been the need  to build an aljibe that was nearly as large as our house.

1 inch of rain falling on a 1,000 square foot roof is equivalent to 1,000 litres of water and occupies 1 cubic meter of space.

Here is one vote for Katya water. Local company, well regarded and used by many of the restaurants in Ajijic & Chapala. We rent so I am not putting in a whole house filter. I don't think that just because Pepsi or Coke charges more, their water is better and the profits stay here.

We have a little wall-mounted water pump so I just push the garafone across the floor.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

It's a great way to collect water. I'm not sure I would drink it without it going through some kind of purification system though. Bird poop, animal poop, dust and rotting leaves?

In the farmhouse that we owned in Ontario, we had an aljibe that we used strictly for rainwater that was used only on the garden. I really wanted to duplicate it in the house we built in San Pancho but the rain here and there does not regularly fall year round. The result would have been the need  to build an aljibe that was nearly as large as our house.

1 inch of rain falling on a 1,000 square foot roof is equivalent to 1,000 litres of water and occupies 1 cubic meter of space.

Like I said, I wait until it's been raining HARD for an hour before I put my garafons under it. The roof it comes off of is clean- no bird poop, no animal poop, no poop of any kind, no dust left after an hour of hard rain, no rotting leaves. It's a slightly sloped roof painted with white impermealizante, I can see if it's clean.

Have been doing this every rainy season for 4 years.

I'm not dead and I'm not sick? 🙂

It is my understanding from a local mom & daughter water source that all vendors must utilize a certified source (Jalisco?) for their bulk potable water. i.e. like the big corps.

This is the very large water tank you see in their back of house setup. This the then purify filter soften RV UV in the appropriate order & sell it to you. As cc stated it's word of mouth so most, likely all would not intentionally try to deceive you with bad water.

I buy from Katya when ever i can find a parking spot &/or their trucks are out on delivery. Good water! Good Price! edit

We have a purification system which the gardner checks regularly and we replace lights and filters the same way. This house has an osmosisisystem as well which we use for us and the dogs. Interesting about the kidney stones as my little dog was just diagnosed with one. 

As for water making you sick whenever we go north I stick with bottled water as US water makes me sick!! 

• 3 months later...

I don't know what that icky, slimy black stuff is, but I find it in all my aerators (sinks, shower, laundry) when I clean them every 3 weeks or so. I think it is algae that grows in the tinaco. If you get some of those bleach tabs and get someone to throw them in every month or so, they should clear it out. Or at least, that is what I heard. 

The icky slimy black stuff is coming right in from the street water because I have a filter on the street water that goes straight to the tinaco. I change that filter every four weeks now. Whatever it is, it's GROSS. But I'm catching it in the filter and it's not to be found any place else.

Archived