Chapala.com Webboard

Funeral home contract

Al Zheimer

5 minutes ago, Al Zheimer said:

I'm going to be heading North for a permanent stay, shortly.  Wondering if anyone has ever resold their cremation contract with Chapala's San Francisco Funeraria .  Seem to remember paying about 10,000 pesos back in 2012.

Is that option shown on your contract ?

I suspect that you could sell the paper to John Doe, who might be gullible enough to buy it, but would die without knowing that his surviving spouse would only have the right to get YOU cremated; not John..

I was looking at it more like my having given them an Interest-free loan for six years. Fully expected there would be some surrender charges.

If it's not possible to look at it in any way as an investment, then I think folks would be better off to just put X# of Pesos away in an envelope until it's needed.

UPDATE:  I decided  to call the Funeraria and inquire as to whether a cremation contract could be transferred into another's name and was told "no problem", just need new person's passport, and 1000pesos for Notarizing the new contract.  I did not ask, but I'd bet that they are selling new contracts for more than I paid 6+ years ago.   

So, anyone willing to face reality and assume my contract for a paltry $250USD+Notary.  You'll sleep a lot better knowing everything is handled with one phone call.  No police, No doctor, etc.,  they handle everything.

In April of 2015, it was still $10,000 pesos and they came to our home to sign the papers. When my hubby passed away, they were amazing with their promptness and efficiency which I appreciated because I was a wreck. Worth every single peso.

32 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Well I paid 6,500.00 pesos (I probably still have the receipt buried away in my mom's documents). Also, it was handled by the nursing home La Casa Nostras, am guessing they have a discount a "group" discount.

This made me smile because  I'm absolutely sure they have a "frequent flyer discount".  For the $3500 peso difference, I hope I die at home.

One last observation. They are selling you a service which, if you are lucky, they will not need to provide for say 15 years. So look at the inflation rate and do the math.

I replaced the frequent flyer discount with frequent death discount, seems to be more in line unless you have booked a seat on the raptor flight....

Archived