Chapala.com Webboard

Garbage pick up

Metuchenmama

This translated notice has been posted to several local groups on Facebook.

“Machine translation. 

Increase complaints about the lack of garbage collection in the municipality of Chapala

GIRRSA, to whom the City Council granted the garbage collection service for 25 years, has not issued any notice in this regard; of the town hall there is no demonstration

Chapala, Jal. - The complaints about the lack of garbage collection have been increasing.

In the municipal capital, garbage has accumulated in the parking area of the restaurant area of "Acapulquito", behind the Red Cross facilities, worrying local restaurateurs, who believe that it has already become a potential source of contamination. 

In the Ajijic delegation, some neighbors reported that since Thursday, August 30, the collection truck has not passed, while garbage accumulates in the corners of the streets, giving off a bad smell due to decomposition. 

The problem is similar in the five delegations of the municipality. The Integral Group of Collection and Recycling of the West (GIRRSA), to whom the City Council granted the service for 25 years, has not issued any statement in this regard.

For its part, the Senior Administrative Officer, Sergio Hugo García Díaz, reported that because of debt that the City Council has with the landfill, it was closed over the weekend and only opened one day because they were paid a bill, reporter Gilberto Padilla on your Facebook account.

Laguna sought statements from Mayor Javier Degollado; however, as of press time no response was obtained.”

In Lomas De Santa Maria/chapala they came by twice last week using the regular city equipment. Now I remember reading about this 25 year contract several months ago in the reporter and at the time I could only shake my head as how you could award a contract for that duration. I realize now that that is most probable to fund the retirement of the current president. Also and sadly they no longer bother to recycle. I was waiting for a parking spot in Riberas and was just behind a garbage truck and watched them collect several large transparent bags loaded with empty plastic bottles that were tossed in the compactor together with ordinary trash.

I read in one of the local papers that the outgoing municipal government is more than three-months past due in paying the dump fee. Supposedly, it was paid on Monday and service, although backlogged, should start again...with the new government coming onboard, it's likely few bills will be paid until they take over.

Yeah, mine was picked up late on Monday too. I decided to leave it out since it was a bag of recyclables (not that they're separating them any more) and a bag of garden cuttings... neither of which would be enticing to hungry critters.

8 hours ago, Ferret said:

Yeah, mine was picked up late on Monday too. I decided to leave it out since it was a bag of recyclables (not that they're separating them any more) and a bag of garden cuttings... neither of which would be enticing to hungry critters.

I am still separating the recyclables also, we have gone backwards with this rather than forward. It is a habit from over 40 years and is a shame that Mexico does not do it.

2 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

I am still separating the recyclables also, we have gone backwards with this rather than forward. It is a habit from over 40 years and is a shame that Mexico does not do it.

No “Mexico” does not recycle. Neither does “the United States.”  Selected communities across the country do it, but there is no federal mandate requiring every community to have a recycling program. 

On 9/4/2018 at 7:20 PM, jrod said:

I read in one of the local papers that the outgoing municipal government is more than three-months past due in paying the dump fee. Supposedly, it was paid on Monday and service, although backlogged, should start again...with the new government coming onboard, it's likely few bills will be paid until they take over.

My maid basically told me the same thing but with a sharper twist.  Let's hope that the new administration will be much more attuned to the needs of the people...  that is their job, after all.

Yes in St Catharines the garbage is picked up once a week and the same day another truck comes by for the recyclables. Each household is allowed one large garbage bag a week if you needed more you had to buy a garbage tax sticker for about 3 bucks per bag. The idea is/was to encourage recycling. Now when I used to put my garbage out for collection, I would say that the recyclable out weighted the garbage by at least 2/3. In addition, you are not permitted to put hazardous stuff out, they have a special place to take it. So back to the 1 per week versus 6 days a week I think you could apply the 2/3 ratio, so 3 times a week  would be about right in the Chapala area.

Mexico is in the process of destroying the environment they live in, I have no children and if I am lucky, I will leave another 10 years year, so sad for the younger generation. I wish the new government would get involved starting with schools.

On 9/5/2018 at 10:24 AM, Xena said:

No “Mexico” does not recycle. Neither does “the United States.”  Selected communities across the country do it, but there is no federal mandate requiring every community to have a recycling program. 

They were recycling here for awhile, it was one of the reasons they got to keep the truck from the state. In addition, the men on the trucks used to sort things out. I still put out the glass, plastic and cans on Tuesday and Thursday even though it is an exercise in futility.

It's frustrating; if you put your trash bins out, the collectors break/mangle new ones within a couple of weeks, but if you just use bags, the neighborhood dogs spread the contents everywhere. And you can never anticipate when (or if) pick-up will occur; it was 10 at night when the truck came through SAT earlier this week so things got pretty ripe sitting all day in the sun! 

I hammered a large nail into my garage door (before that, a CFE pole) quite high. Too high for even the big dogs to get at. This doesn't stop two village people from cutting open the bottom of the bags to discover hidden treasures.

I think arriving at 10 at night, and even later here in Riberas, is quite remarkable. From this week's story in the Guad Reporter, it's quite obvious it's not the fault of the guys who man the trucks.

1 minute ago, kgreenbury said:

It's frustrating; if you put your trash bins out, the collectors break/mangle new ones within a couple of weeks, but if you just use bags, the neighborhood dogs spread the contents everywhere. And you can never anticipate when (or if) pick-up will occur; it was 10 at night when the truck came through SAT earlier this week so things got pretty ripe sitting all day in the sun! 

True.  In the "olden days" before plastic trash bags, people had very sturdy metal garbage cans they dragged out to the curb.  If you lived where there were critters who got into them, you put a cord over the top to keep them out, and only removed it when you knew the garbage truck was coming. (Around here, that wouldn't work so well, but a well fitting top would help).  Golly gee, we may all be reduced to the olden days system yet. Guess we'll survive.

I've taken to bringing a plastic container with me when dining out and in goes the leftovers instead of asking for the usual Styrofoam.  The good thing is that my box seals on four sides and doesn't spill when tipped.

We have used the same plastic bin for the past 18 months without any damage by the collectors.  Even without a lid, the dogs don't bother it.  The trash itself is in a plastic bag within the bin.  Often the bag gets sliced but the contents stay in the bin.  Lots of bin choices at Walmart, some with lids.   We put trash out once a week, recyclables every 2 weeks on average.  

The truck that came by this morning was not the usual compactor truck; it was an old stake body truck.

Archived