Chapala.com Webboard

Fund raiser for local star

lakeside7

Has anyone else received this request......

Valerie would like you to support

Emergency Open Heart Surgery

by making a donation and helping spread the word.

Our beloved friend and talented singer, Mac Morrison, underwent emergency open heart surgery on August 11, 2018.  He was originally scheduled for Angioplasty and Stents but the medical professionals realized his heart condition was far more grave.  The Medical Team immediately began the pre-op work for open heart surgery.  Following a successful 6 hour procedure, Mac spent several days in Cardiac I.C.U. and has now returned home to Ajijic.

Unfortunately, this unexpected surgery has wiped out his and Barb's savings and they find themselves in the frightening position of having to cover the costs of the surgery, hospital, medications, etc.  

We, the Arts community, are reaching out to our friends and Patrons of the Arts, who have enjoyed and been entertained by Mac and Barb throughout their lengthy careers and given so much to this and other communities.  

We need to raise $40,000 USD to cover the costs of Mac's surgery and rehabilitation.

We are  working to produce a CD with some of Mac's favorite songs with all proceeds going towards the "Miracle Mac" Fund.  In addition, talented performers are creating a Variety Show with music, dance, comedy and more and once again, all proceeds will go towards the "Miracle Mac" Fund.  

Time is of the essence as there are loans, Promissory Notes and they've maxed out credit and depleted savings to cover these costs.  We ask you to please make a donation to help cover these unexpected emergency fees and show Mac and Barb your support and love.  It isn't often we can make a difference in the lives of those who have given so much of themselves to our community but this time, we can.  

We thank you in anticipation of your kind generosity.

11 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

I would like to know if there is any private or other health insurance at Lakeside that would have helped with these costs. 

If you wish to begin this familiar tangent, please start a whole new thread where you all can lecture, sermonize, and moralize to your heart’s content. This thread is directed to people who know, care about, and might wish to help this couple. No one else needs to involve themselves. You do not have to donate a centavo. You didn’t even need to read the OP. 

Many thanks for sharing this information from Francis Dryden's weekly email regarding local entertainment.  I also posted the GoFundMe site and information on the web board under the "Charitable" section.  

I've sent Ajijic_hiker a private message explaining the insurance situation.

I do hope people who have been entertained by Mac and his lovely wife, Barb Clippinger, will be willing to donate and help them.  None of us want to find ourselves in this frightening situation.  

Thanks!

Val Jones  :)

Unfortunately he isnt the only one.

I have now got stage4 cancer..no insurance.my fault.

spent around 600,000 pesos this year on ops and treatment.big hole in my savings.

Now getting chemo on seguro popular but still having to spend on expensive drugs which are not covered,but every little helps.

Would be worth checking with sp for gasto catastrofico. This has been a great help to me.

barcelonaman, so very sorry to read about your health situation and sending lots of positive and healing energy to you.  Yes, I will talk with Mac and Barbara about Gasto Catastrofico with Seguro Popular.  My fear is they will deny anything cardiac since he's clearly had a significant health issue but perhaps it will cover other potential catastrophic health issues.  Many thanks for your suggestion.

I wish you great luck and hope they can stop your Stage 4 cancer.

Val  :)

Thanks for this additional information and link for coverage.  I'm sure many will find this useful. While I'm still young enough to be able to afford private insurance, there will come a day...

Val  :)

5 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

I would like to know if there is any private or other health insurance at Lakeside that would have helped with these costs. 

Seguro Popular will cover all cardio problems if you are under 60 years old. This might change if the population's heart health improves. You also have to deemed fit enough to be able to survive surgery, even if you are under 60. They have a board and an algorithum they stick to. After 60, things become more complicated. You may be asked to co-pay, in the sense of paying rental for the cath lab, staff and supplies. Still following the advice of their boards, etc. They are very conservative when it comes to invasive procedures - which also falls in line with many recent studies that long term cardio problems are betting addressed with pharmaceuticals and lifestyle changes anyways. Dealing with public healthcare in Mexico would be like dealing with a heavily unionised coal mine, with lots of safety oversights and paperwork. Dealing with private health care in Mexico is like dealing with a gold miner, who wants to extract their nuggets out of the ground and hidden, before the government, unions and safety cops, get a piece of it. In their world, a pile of cash in the pocket is more important than long term patient outcomes. And many "consumers" adopt this outlook - "I want to be well again - NOW!" And they are willing to pay for it, too often going back to the lifestyles which started their problems in the first place. I always remember seeing patients outside the hospital, with their drip bags and oxygen bottles, shivering in the cold, while enjoying a cigarette.

There is an old saying, and it's true, that the devil is in the details.

When it comes to entering into ANY contract, in Mexico, the U.S., Iraq, etc., forget what the agent(s) tell you. They work on commission -- you figure it out.

Get it in English or IMO, forget it. You might be more than surprised when you read the sometimes dozens, if not hundreds, of exclusions and conditions where you won't get paid.

55 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

There is an old saying, and it's true, that the devil is in the details.

When it comes to entering into ANY contract, in Mexico, the U.S., Iraq, etc., forget what the agent(s) tell you. They work on commission -- you figure it out.

Get it in English or IMO, forget it. You might be more than surprised when you read the sometimes dozens, if not hundreds, of exclusions and conditions where you won't get paid.

Sadly Eric most of us were not trained to walk through minefields...so regardless of the detail being visible we could not recognize the problem "no coverage"....."sorry unable to get treatment, go straight  to jail"

https://www.gofundme.com/vbtnnu-emergency-open-heart-surgery?sharetype=teams&member=687562&rcid=r01-153611786797-96d4f6f6a9b74ed4&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_w

A bit lengthy, I know but if you can copy and paste, it's easier.  Otherwise, go to GoFundMe and type in Mac Morison in the search and he should come right up.  We are all so very grateful for any support one can give Mac and Barb now.  Francis Dryden has kindly opened an account locally to accept $$ and if you'd like to donate directly, please send me a P.M. and we can organize a get together where you can be assured your dollars/pesos are going directly to Mac and Barb.

Many thanks to ALL who are working so hard and kindly to help them.

Gracias!

¡Hola!

I have set up another account to help out Mac Morison in his time of trouble… a serious heart operation has tapped out his savings and surpassed his credit. Mac has done many great fundraiser shows for different organizations and we now have an opportunity to do the same for him!

I am asking for donations of at least 1,000 Pesos to an account set up at O’Rourke and Associates… you can go to their office in Laguna Centro Plaza across from Walmart and deposit to account number 5057575 or see me somewhere and I’ll do it for you… whatever works best for you!

If you can’t get to O’Rourke’s or see me you can go to the Go Fund Me page for Mac at https://www.gofundme.com/vbtnnu-emergency-open-heart-surgery?sharetype=teams&member=687562&rcid=r01-153575401273-818d4b8b72284dd4&pc=em_co_campmgmt_w and let’s get this done!

Together we got Jonathan Guzman through the problems with his throat and I just know we can do a big job for Mac as well.

The newsletter is up on the web sites at: www.ajijictoday.com.mx or my wife’s site at www.AnastasiaBoyd.com, Dan Schaller’s web site at www.centroculturalgg.com or Rich Birkett’s at www.lakechapalaguide.com.

Have a super week and thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Regards,

Francis Dryden

Good morning,  I received a note saying the GoFundMe link wasn't working.  This one below should work.  One can also go directly to www.gofundme.com and type in the "search", Mac Morison, and his campaign pops right up.

Many thanks to those who have so kindly and generously donated.  Mac and Barb greatly appreciate the kindness and assistance.

https://www.gofundme.com/vbtnnu-emergency-open-heart-surgery?sharetype=teams&member=687562&rcid=r01-153615938454-4c073b5382314f94&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_w

Many thanks,

On 9/4/2018 at 10:26 AM, Ajijic_hiker said:

I knew I might get pounded on for my posting...but I believe the issue is one we all can learn from.  I recently read about another insurance option, posted on the other board, and am including the link, in case there are those who might want to check them out...https://guardianinsurancemx.com/

You can read the posts from those who did on the other board.  I plan to sign up myself.

Can you have this insurance along with
Seguaro Popolar  ? 
Gracias.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:26 AM, Ajijic_hiker said:

On 9/4/2018 at 8:52 AM, Xena said:

If you wish to begin this familiar tangent, please start a whole new thread where you all can lecture, sermonize, and moralize to your heart’s content. This thread is directed to people who know, care about, and might wish to help this couple. No one else needs to involve themselves. You do not have to donate a centavo. You didn’t even need to read the OP. 

Archived