Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon Mexico Questions

franky

Hey all.  I have to buy an electronic item where if i was in the US, its very easy to buy it from amazon.com and it shipped quick because of amazon prime.  I have bought from mercadolibre before and its fine.  But the thing is the electronics there, im not sure if the product is compatible with my specific computer etc.  

I noticed there is amazon mexico and they do have a few electronics where im pretty certain would work for my computer.  Now i never purchased from amazon mexico before and have few questions.1

1.  I assume if i have amazon prime in the us, i can't use prime in mexico right?

2.  I have to create a brand new amazon account with amazon.mx even though i have an amazon.com us account?  Would this be hard since i can't understand spanish much?  I did open mercadolibre account and did it with google translate.

3.  How do i pay for the items?  I don't have a mexican card to pay for it.  Well i do have debit card but i don't know what my pin number is etc.  Are there any other options for this?

4.  I could have it shipped to DHL office?  I did this with mercadolibre with no issue.

5.  How long does shipping take?  I notice that they seem to offer prime shipping in spanish and you would receive the item very quickly.  The thing is what i want to buy, its not that expensive.  Also seems like at least 599 peso minimum for free shipping.  The thing is i want to get this product fast.  How much more in shipping would i have to pay for it?  Regular shipping takes similar to like the us right?  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. correct

2. You have to create your own account.  Depending on what browser you use ( I use Chrome) right  click on your mouse and menu that says translate to English and the whole page will.

3. I use my American express credit card. They do know I am down here.

4. Amazon shipping is incredible here. I have it shipped directly to my home even when it says Importacion. It will tell you how long it will take when you put in the order. 

5. I have items shipped and I received them in one day that cost 100 pesos or less . I am a prime member.

Hi there.  I used my amazon.com account and logged in and then went to amazon mexico.  Once i did that, i added the item and i placed the order and it seems to work as the order has went through.  Well at first there was error because my bank card rejected it but then i put down yes that is me.  I see that it says shipped and there is a tracking number and it says this when i used google translate

Sent with AMZMX

Tracking Code  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

First off, what is AMZMX?   What carrier did they use to ship it?  And how do i track the package?  It does show that it was shipped already etc.  Also i put the DHL office here... i previously put the DHL office here with mercado libre.  So that means once i see from amazon that package arrived, then i go to DHL to pick it up right?  I saw an option to get 30 day free trial of amazon prime but that did not work because it said my bank card which is my american bank card is not Mexican based.  So i just paid for 2 day shipping which was over 130 pesos or so for the item.  Because when i used mercado libre to buy a few things, they used DHL and i used DHL office as they place i had them ship it to because well there are no mailboxes here.  But the shipping is very reliable like in the US right with amazon?  I was very impressed when i bought from mercadolibre.

Our experience since Amazon.com and Amazon.com.mx started using their own carriers for deliveries has been varied.  It is different than our experience with DHL.  We are unable to actually use a website to see the actual location of the package.  You must rely on Amazon Track Your Package which is a little delayed.  It will tell you that your package is out for delivery though.  I have used the chat service with Amazon MX to locate my packages as I get frustrated waiting for information.  When you get the chat person, request English if you do not speak Spanish and they will provide an English person for you promptly.  They will then contact the carrier for you since you are unable to do this yourself.   They will try to provide you with a link to their carrier, believe me, it does not work and will just waste your time.  They MUST contact them, insist on it.

8 hours ago, franky said:

Hi there.  I used my amazon.com account and logged in and then went to amazon mexico.  Once i did that, i added the item and i placed the order and it seems to work as the order has went through.  Well at first there was error because my bank card rejected it but then i put down yes that is me.  I see that it says shipped and there is a tracking number and it says this when i used google translate

Sent with AMZMX

Tracking Code  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

First off, what is AMZMX?   What carrier did they use to ship it?  And how do i track the package?  It does show that it was shipped already etc.  Also i put the DHL office here... i previously put the DHL office here with mercado libre.  So that means once i see from amazon that package arrived, then i go to DHL to pick it up right?  I saw an option to get 30 day free trial of amazon prime but that did not work because it said my bank card which is my american bank card is not Mexican based.  So i just paid for 2 day shipping which was over 130 pesos or so for the item.  Because when i used mercado libre to buy a few things, they used DHL and i used DHL office as they place i had them ship it to because well there are no mailboxes here.  But the shipping is very reliable like in the US right with amazon?  I was very impressed when i bought from mercadolibre.

AMZMX is their carrier service.  It is simply a white truck that arrives at your house with no logo on the side.  My previous post answered some tracking questions.  If you are using a local mail service to accept your package, they may be able to help with tracking information, but I doubt it.  I still suggest, if you are worried about when your package will arrive, that you try the chat service that I suggested in my previous post.

HI there okay so i tracked the package and it says its at a local facility but the city is a bit farther from where im located.  But it does show that it will be here.  But as long as you put the address as example

DHL, then the street etc and the correct city and postal code, everything should be fine?  I used this same address... with mercadolibre with no issues.  Thus it was like this

DHL, XXX Calle Street

City

City, State, Postal Code

The thing is when i used mercado libre to make purchase, the sellers had used dhl both times etc.

Do you both have mailboxes?  Because where im located, rare to have mailboxes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there got another question.  I ordered the electronic device and got it.  But the driver sent me text message and then called me and then i gave him my address... so he called me and then i came down and signed the package and picked it up.  I had asked him on the phone if they could drop it off at dhl and they said they can't.

So does that mean anything i buy off amazon.mx cannot be sent to dhl for pickup?  Example if i were to buy say a big item like a tv or monitor from amazon.mx, it would be same process?  They call me and then ask me for address then give me a call when they are here and i come down and pick it up?  I recall the guy was driving like a white van and there is a name of the company there but i forgot the name of it.  What is the name of that company?  I recalled it was a very popular name.

Most persons whom I know, either have it sent to their home or to a mailing service like Ishop, Sol Y Luna, or Handy Mail. Of course you need to have an account with the service you have the package sent to.

Oh and up north, Amazon uses any one of several mailing services, not just one, which I would guess happens in Mexico too.

Some of the mail services will allow non-members to have packages delivered at a charge.  I know Sol y Luna will as I discussed it with them about a month ago....they said they charge non-members based on size of package.  You may want to ask at the other mail service offices to ascertain their policies.

As a Handy Mail member I have all my packages delivered there.  It saves me from having to stay home to await a delivery and HM sends me an email upon its arrival.  

7 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Some of the mail services will allow non-members to have packages delivered at a charge.  I know Sol y Luna will as I discussed it with them about a month ago....they said they charge non-members based on size of package.  You may want to ask at the other mail service offices to ascertain their policies.

As a Handy Mail member I have all my packages delivered there.  It saves me from having to stay home to await a delivery and HM sends me an email upon its arrival.  

ishop does the same.

Hi there i never heard of sol y luna and those other names that are mentioned.  So they are throughout the entire Mexico such as like in cancun or around there?

Well let say its a big item like a computer monitor.  I assume fee for that would be high?

So if i buy from amazon mexico, and i put the dhl office address just like last time, that mean 100 percent they would text/call me again and i give them my address and i go downstairs and pick it up?  I do not mind this only if i know what day they are coming.  Thus i don't mind spending the whole day waiting for them if i know they will be there that specific day.  Or would it be better to just put my address even though there is no mailbox here.  Like give them the street number etc and say its right next to so and so hostel for example.  Thats what i told the person on the phone who called me when he asked where is my address and he spoke a bit of english so i said between these streets and said its next to x hostel so he probably used google maps to find it.  Then called me and i came down to pick it up.

Hi there want to ask something related to this.  So what happens if you order an item on amazon mexico and then when they come to your apartment, you are not there or could not be contacted?  Do they come the next day?  Is there an amount of attempts they would do like 3 times and if you are not there, then what happens to the package? 

Does it get sent back to amazon mexico?  If not, what happens to the package?  Also would you be able to get a refund back to your debit/credit card if that is the case?

Hi there... so in the address i want it shipped to, i put my address?  Then at that check out option, i put DHL address?  Im not sure but i don't think i saw that option though when i did this last time?

So it doesn't cost anything extra if i use the delivery point?

Also do you or anyone know what happens if you don't pick up the item when they come over?  In the US, i believe if that happens 3 times, they return the item back.  But if its small package, they leave it at usps office but thats only usps.  So what happens here if thats the case?

Here often if a courier tries 3 times to deliver it to your home unsuccessfully they return the item to their office in Guadalajara and you have to go there and pick it up.

I ordered a new monitor from Amazon.com.mx yesterday.  I logged in using my email address and password that I use for Amazon US.  I did it using my smartphone which translates automatically from Spanish to English.  I am having it shipped to our home.  I used my US credit card.  A few minutes ago I received an email saying that it has shipped and I will receive tomorrow.  I chose second day delivery and it seems that will happen.  Will let you know if received tomorrow.  This is my first time using the Mexico site.

Hi there thanks for the information.  You mean your home in Mexico right?  And is it in chapala?  Im not located in chapala but in another part of mexico.

But i like to know if anyone knows what happens if you order an item like monitor or anything and you are not home and don't pick it up.  Someone says it gets sent back to their office.  So they won't return it back to say amazon mexico?  Because with amazon us... i believe if its a big item like tv or monitor and say ups is the carrier, they would have it sent back to amazon correct if one doesnt pick it up?

franky, our monitor was delivered early this afternoon.  If you can't be home on the day that you have scheduled delivery (we used second day delivery so we would know what day it would come) .... have it sent to a mail service place in your area and pick it up from them.  We are in San Antonio Tlay. which is between Chapala and Ajijic. 

Hi there thanks for that information.  But does anyone know what would happen if you aren't at the apartment/house to pick it up after several times?  Would they ever ship it back to amazon?  Is it even possible to contact that place and said could you return it back to amazon mexico?  And then get a refund back to your us debit/credit card or is that not possible?

'

I ask this because let say you are in the US and want to order say a monitor with amazon mexico but if you do that when you get back to mexico, you have to wait 5 days at least since thats how it takes to ship.  But if you say buy it online in the us a few days before you leave to mexico, that way the monitor or whatever you order would get there say the next day or following day after you arrive so you don't have to wait up to 6 days for it.  Thus it could be monitor or any type of item really.  But say you don't go back to mexico that early and go back later.  Then the package won't be at your place since they bring it to your apartment.  So because of that, i like to know would it be possible for them to send it back to amazon mexico.  Because i believe in the us, assuming say its ups who brings it to your place, if you aren't there few times, they return it back to amazon and you get refund back right?  

Because i want to have it shipped to mexico say a day or two after i get back to mexico.  But if i dont go back there and go back there much later or not, well i dont want to get charged for it etc.  Does anyone have advice on this?  I dont want to have to order it while in mexico and then have to wait 6 business days to get it.  Anyone have advice on this?

Archived