Chapala.com Webboard

Found! Perfect Lakeside Song

CHILLIN

It's an old Russian folk song, and a very catchy tune.

However, anyone who is actually into that level of nostalgia is probably not very happy in the only time we can actually live: right now.😎 Personally, I'm much happier than I was in my early 20's.  How about the rest of you?

I'll vote for the Tall Boys and "Somewhere in Mexico"!!

Where are the Tall Boys? I have some great memories of spending time in The Cave in San Antonio (closed for a long time and see recently now rebranded) when they put on special concerts. Also at that venue on the lake opposite the Nueva Posada...Is that place still going? Those were the days!!!

Didn't like that song back when it first came out and don't like it now.  Other people love it and say it represents them. Hogwash.  I don't know anyone running away from anything only running to themselves.  Haven't known a single soul "waiting on wings".  Catchy, yeah.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=lyrics+for+somewhere+in+MExico+tall+boys+band#id=51&vid=6b62fa2e8532c7231d2b61d29e6d9928&action=click

1 hour ago, solajijic said:

Didn't like that song back when it first came out and don't like it now.  Other people love it and say it represents them. Hogwash.  I don't know anyone running away from anything only running to themselves.  Haven't known a single soul "waiting on wings".  Catchy, yeah.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=lyrics+for+somewhere+in+MExico+tall+boys+band#id=51&vid=6b62fa2e8532c7231d2b61d29e6d9928&action=click

...at least it's about the present, rather than the past.  And "hiding from my troubles" is more appropriate now than 9 years ago, considering what's been happening NOB.  Can't understand most of the words anyway...but you could dance to it, and that's a plus, always!😉

Did you read the lyrics Gringal? It is nothing about living in past. The song says when we were young, you get tied up in hopes/dreams, then adult responsibilities, then you get old, only to discover that your hopes and dreams have never changed, that you can still enjoy laughter, old/new friends, and dancing.

I was thinking of this song after seeing how many ordinary Mexicans were able to rally themselves and their loved ones after a health crisis or terrible adversity. Quite remarkable. I hadn,t heard that song for a long time - I always thought of as an old European pub song. Going through times of war, then coming out the other side. But that is not a part of the lyrics though.

Not a big fan of Tallboys or that song either. More like a low budget Jimmy Buffet, who has captured that genre much better.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Did you read the lyrics Gringal? It is nothing about living in past. The song says when we were young, you get tied up in hopes/dreams, then adult responsibilities, then you get old, only to discover that your hopes and dreams have never changed, that you can still enjoy laughter, old/new friends, and dancing.

I was thinking of this song after seeing how many ordinary Mexicans were able to rally themselves and their loved ones after a health crisis or terrible adversity. Quite remarkable. I hadn,t heard that song for a long time - I always thought of as an old European pub song. Going through times of war, then coming out the other side. But that is not a part of the lyrics though.

Not a big fan of Tallboys or that song either. More like a low budget Jimmy Buffet, who has captured that genre much better.

Yes, I know the lyrics and the phrase "those were the days" sums it up to me as a longing to be "back then". You may take it differently.  As for the Tallboys....I don't think that says it either.  Maybe we need a new candidate.  I like "I did it My way" as a possible.😎

The Tall Boys did a great song about living in Mexico. Not all lyrics mean all things to all people. It's just enjoyable. Those Were the Days says absolutely nothing to me about living here. I am here NOW. Even when I first arrived 20 years ago does not apply in that song.

Tall Boys broke up; The 'Ol Country Boys" are the latest version. Me, not into country music that much. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Ol-Country-Boys-541800559518012/. Coupla good friends in the band.

There is a Texas Tornados' classic, Adios Mexico, that refers to both Lake Chapala and Ajijic.

Listen here:  https://youtu.be/5pv8kO47kZU?list=RD5pv8kO47kZU

Lyrics:

Adiós México
Adiós México
How I got along without ya, I never know
Now it's adiós México

I got a little chavala
Down there in Lake, Lake Chapala
Adiós México

Well, a sweet señorita is waiting for me
Down there in Ajijic
And I love her
Adiós México
Adiós México
Adiós México
Now it's adiós México

Adiós México
Adiós México
Now it's adiós México

Well, a sweet señorita is waiting for me
Down there in Ajijic
And I love her
Adiós México
Adiós México
Adiós México
Now it's adiós México

Adiós México
Adiós México
Now it's adiós México

Adiós México, fade
Songwriters: DOUG SAHM
Adios Mexico lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:20 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Those Were the Days says absolutely nothing to me about living here. I am here NOW. Even when I first arrived 20 years ago does not apply in that song.

Ditto.  This song is fun to sing but for me has absolutely nothing to do with this place or this time, any more than any other song.

I remembered “Those Were The Days” as one of the most depressing songs ever. Figuring I might be misremembering I clicked on the link and took a listen. Nope. I still think it is depressing and can not see how this would in any way represent anything about living life here. 

6 minutes ago, Xena said:

I remembered “Those Were The Days” as one of the most depressing songs ever. Figuring I might be misremembering I clicked on the link and took a listen. Nope. I still think it is depressing and can not see how this would in any way represent anything about living life here. 

Amen.🖖

Paul McCartney brought Mary Hopkin onto the new Beatles' Apple label, as they had become a management group looking to invest in new talent without all the record company BS. (Whether that effort was successful has been the topic of many books since.) That was in 1968... I wasn't barely even in high school. As with most hits of the day, it was the melody that got to us, not the lyrics. Thank goodness.

Oh my friend we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same

Yeah. Here we are hanging in the same place but now we are old without benefit of being any wiser. We never actually accomplished any of our youthful dreams but we still dream them sitting in the same old place. What’s the good news? We’ll be dead soon!

I never dreamed about living in Mexico. I did, when I was young and watching Tarzan movies and Hope and Crosby doing every hot country, always want to be in a place with palm trees. I made it. I'm glad I did. I now consider it a dream not dreamt, but come true anyway. Some have bucket lists. I'm livin' it.

Achieving "wise" simply means being aware one may never be so.

Archived