Chapala.com Webboard

Cinnamon Rolls

TooMuchCoffee

From the deli on Colon, walk north. Cross the carretera. Keep going north with your eyes up and toward the left. When you see a small sign that says, "PAN", turn left and follow your nose. You may pass through some chickens before turning right into a narrow passage, where you may pass people coming out with cinnamon buns and other baked goods. Your nose will be your guide, as you have arrived at the bakery. Ask, be patient, you may receive.

There is usually a guy at Wednesday Tianguis (probably behind the plaza bugambillas parking garage) that sells sourdough cinnamon buns in a couple iterations (plain, nuts, apple) and other donuts;  Scandinavian Bakery in Centro Laguna also has cinnamon buns (cardamon & slivered almonds).

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

From the deli on Colon, walk north. Cross the carretera. Keep going north with your eyes up and toward the left. When you see a small sign that says, "PAN", turn left and follow your nose. You may pass through some chickens before turning right into a narrow passage, where you may pass people coming out with cinnamon buns and other baked goods. Your nose will be your guide, as you have arrived at the bakery. Ask, be patient, you may receive.

Cross the carretera and turn LEFT on the carretera. Go right one block further up  on Juarez  And then you will see a sign that says PAN.

In San Antonio go south towards the lake where the mattress place is on the Carretera.  Go several blocks and on the right is a black casa and door which will be open.  You can smell the great smells coming from it.  They have bread and pastries that are tasty and cheap.  They bake daily and there is no sign indicating a bakery is here.

38 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

In San Antonio go south towards the lake where the mattress place is on the Carretera.  Go several blocks and on the right is a black casa and door which will be open.  You can smell the great smells coming from it.  They have bread and pastries that are tasty and cheap.  They bake daily and there is no sign indicating a bakery is here.

Gosh I am lost and really need to find that place.....

In San Antonio there is a mexican pottery place and a mattress shop on the south side of the carretera, I believe this is San Jose you go toward the lake on the street that runs beside them and before you get to R. Corona the place is on the right or west side.  There is just a black door open.  When you look inside you will see all the baked goods on both sides of the room.  There is no signs, all the locals know it as it is quite popular.   I really like their carrot muffins.  They have an assortment of breads and pastries. I don't think they are open on Sunday and maybe one other during the week.  I believe their profit goes to a charity but not sure about this.  I'll be going there Monday so will give update.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone ever get there? I'd forgotten about it, but my head tells me that no one can sell a cinammon bun for 5 pesos. Or a muffin. The ingredient cost of raisins, stuff for dough, icing if used, electricity or gas, labour involved... no way. Heck, even a bolillo costs 6 pesos these days.

In the last week I have bought over a dozen cinnamon rolls, cinnamon roll twists, carrot cake muffins and other bakery items for 5 and 6 pesos each.  The address is 237B  San Jose in San Antonio.  There are no signs just a large wood door you can look into and spot all the bakery items for sale.  I think some days they are not open until after 12.  They are a bakery and these are fresh goods.   

Saturday it was after 6 when I bought my cinnamon rolls. Their stock was getting low by this time.  Friday I went at 11 and they were not open yet.  They also have some great little bread loafs.  The door will be open if they are open for business.

It is now Tuesday at 4:30pm and I just got some fresh out of the oven cinnamon rolls, chocalite chip muffins, carrot cake mufffins and a lemon pie all for 6 pesos each.  Last saturday at closing I paid 5 pesos each.  I asked about their hours and they said they usually opened around 12 and were open to 6.  He said between 3 and 4 was a good time to go as they are baking during these hours.  They are usually open every day but Sunday. 

I'm having a great time driving down that street. Back yesterday at 1:30, crawling along.... found 237 and 237A on one door, but no 237B,  and no sign of any type of bakeshop. A few doors down is a doctor or dentist... Maybe next time I'll park and ask around. I know it has to be there, and I know I cannot find things in my own fridge, but now I feel as if I have a new hobby.

As you know they don"sequence the numbers here.  You were almost there  a few doors north of 237A is 237B  the number is on the right side of the door . There are two large wood doors but they usually open only one. I went there yesterday and loaded up.  Remember between 3 and 4 is a good time because they re baking during the day time and you will get a larger selection. 

Archived