Chapala.com Webboard

good school for kids with adhd

I am sorry I can't answer your question, but I did want to share your angst. My son was incorrectly diagnosed as having ADD about 30 years ago. It was the latest popular "syndrome" that teachers were using across Canada to account for behaviours, and the next ten years of meds, neurologists and shrinks pretty much ruined his life.

• Sad 1

I, too, cannot answer your question, but as a retired special education teacher with more than 40 years of in the classroom experience I CAN tell you this. Most teachers are not really trained to work with students who have ADHD. Even when they are trained, the class size and rigid expectations of the school/curriculum might just be too much for the teacher to give your child the attention he needs.

ADD/ADHD is a complex set of behaviors, and even with medication, students need one to one or very small group training  in order to learn how to work with and around their ADD/ADHD. This "syndrome" comes with gifts as well as behaviors that make traditional schooling difficult. Adaptations for tests, etc., may help in the short term, but you need to find someone who can help your child learn to control himself and develop coping mechanisms.

I do not know of a school that would suit your needs. If your child were in my previous school ( The American School in Japan), I would have had him for 1 hour 4-5x a week, in a small group or even one to one, and we would work on time management, on lengthening of his attention span, and on developing behaviors to function more successfully in school.There was parent education model that gave the parents individual time with me to learn how to help their child in school and at home. 

Perhaps sessions with an educational psychologist or counselor trained in these methods would be helpful. I would not look to the school to adapt to the child, as the child needs to learn to adapt to the school environment. It is not easy, but it is definitely possible.

There may be a retired special education teacher who could provide the services on an ongoing basis outside of school. Perhaps home scholing is an option ?

I wish you the best of luck. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cstone says it well. However, not all ADHD is correctly diagnosed, and some is simply bad behavior developed in the home. As such, the 'training' required may be better applied to the parent, before attempting to modify the child.  I think Cstone hinted at that, but I do want to emphasize it.  Yes, schools are not asylums, and they are not hospitals of any style. We closed those some 50 years ago, along with the 'county poor farms'. Perhaps a mistake, but they are now gone, while schools are expected to fill the gap and give relief to the parents.  Having had experience with non-comunicative autism, and Asperger Syndrome at the other end of the spectrum, you have my sympathy.  That said, you might want to try home schooling, but with an occasional visiting 'teacher' added to the mix.  Discipline with love and encouragement may be much better than the disinterest experienced in the typical large classroom of a typically unqualified school; if any place or any person can ever be 'qualified' in this matter.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The best this Mom can do is interview at  all the local private schools to determine  if any of them are interested in taking on her sons education.  ASFG is considered to be the best of the best.   

Again, off topic from the initial request, but I mention it because I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and in my 60's still seem to have mild symptoms.

Anyway, I heard a great interview with Dr. Mary Ann Block from The Block Center discussing psychotropic drugs for the treatment of ADHD at "What the media and medical industry do not want you to know"

Dr. Block apparently went to med school at age 39 to save her son. She graduated and got her MD and now she runs The Block Center in Dallas-Ft Worth, I believe.

The interview was good enough that it compelled me to mention it.

Here is the link to her site:  ADHD Non-Drug Program - The Block Center

Perhaps there is some good information that can be gleaned from there.

• 3 years later...
On 8/31/2018 at 1:02 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Cstone says it well. However, not all ADHD is correctly diagnosed, and some is simply bad behavior developed in the home. As such, the 'training' required may be better applied to the parent, before attempting to modify the child.  I think Cstone hinted at that, but I do want to emphasize it.  Yes, schools are not asylums, and they are not hospitals of any style. We closed those some 50 years ago, along with the 'county poor farms'. Perhaps a mistake, but they are now gone, while schools are expected to fill the gap and give relief to the parents.  Having had experience with non-comunicative autism, and Asperger Syndrome at the other end of the spectrum, you have my sympathy.  That said, you might want to try home schooling, but with an occasional visiting 'teacher' added to the mix.  Discipline with love and encouragement may be much better than the disinterest experienced in the typical large classroom of a typically unqualified school; if any place or any person can ever be 'qualified' in this matter.