Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for dried kidney beans

elisabeth

On 8/28/2018 at 9:04 PM, elisabeth said:

I haven seen them in stores locally and don't know what they are called. Would be grateful for name and source. I made sweet potato chili with Flor De Mayo beans, but they seem too delicate to me. My husband finds black beans indigestible, or I'd use those.

Look for a large dried bean called ayocote.  It's as close to kidney beans as you're going to get; I've lived in Mexico half my life and have never seen dried kidney beans for sale here.  IMHO you won't find them at any supermarket; El Granjero might have them in bulk.

When I'm making American-style chili, I use La Costeña canned frijol bayo.  Works fine.

Frijol Ayocote 1.jpg

Chili American Style.jpg

On 8/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, More Liana said:

Look for a large dried bean called ayocote.  It's as close to kidney beans as you're going to get; I've lived in Mexico half my life and have never seen dried kidney beans for sale here.  IMHO you won't find them at any supermarket; El Granjero might have them in bulk.

When I'm making American-style chili, I use La Costeña canned frijol bayo.  Works fine.

Frijol Ayocote 1.jpg

Chili American Style.jpg

Ayocotes it is!  Thanks so much. I really didn't want to just go randomly making chili with different kinds of beans.

Just for interest's sake: I buy La Costeña "Frijoles - Bayos Enteros" and "Negro" all the time for my chili, and they work great in chili, just like More Liana. Also, super inexpensive and already softened. (Bayos is apparently a Mexican Spanish word for "beans".)

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Just for interest's sake: I buy La Costeña "Frijoles - Bayos Enteros" and "Negro" all the time for my chili, and they work great in chili, just like More Liana. Also, super inexpensive and already softened. (Bayos is apparently a Mexican Spanish word for "beans".)

Bayo refers to the variety of bean (phaseolus leptostachyus).  Bayo is not a Mexican Spanish word for bean.

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I used the word "apparently" because the online searches I did came back with unusual results. Thanks for the clarification.

beans.png

beans2.png

Yup, those La Costeña frijoles bayos are exactly what I use for making chili.  And it's almost time to make the next 12 quarts!  

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

According to the ad, they are pinto beans... so that works for me.

Advertising can be misleading.  They are NOT pintos.  These are bayos:  https://laroussecocina.mx/palabra/frijol-bayo/

The picture below shows pintos.  They're very different.

image.png.7dbe2c9f393e69b8d21f08c748e3edb0.png

13 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

If El Granero doesn't have them, there's a bean guy at the Tuesday Market who definitely does.

The guy at the Tuesday market has a huge variety of dried beans. If you walk in on the lower level and make an immediate left to the outside lane where the tamales are being sold he is just to the right of that corner.

Archived