Chapala.com Webboard

Garufa

tomgates

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting the menu. Looks like what Sonora Grill offers in the steak dept. A good friend who has owned a dozen or more restaurants won't go to a new one until after 3 weeks open. If you go inside this time frame, please don't post a negative review as it isn't fair to a new place with all new staff. 

Why? Are they not going to charge so that they're being fairly evaluated? If I'm paying, I expect a certain level of service. Having said that, I always try to give a place a second chance if the first time disappoints...well...except for the one that gave me food poisoning.

58 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Thanks for posting the menu. Looks like what Sonora Grill offers in the steak dept. A good friend who has owned a dozen or more restaurants won't go to a new one until after 3 weeks open. If you go inside this time frame, please don't post a negative review as it isn't fair to a new place with all new staff. 

I'm sorry, but when a restaurant opens its doors to the paying public all bets are off.

It's sink or swim time and if the owner doesn't know enough to poach, hire, or train good cooks and waitstaff, they don't belong in the business. 

And probably won't be for long. 

Yes, their prices seem high.  Over $4 US for french fries, and almost $10 for a hamburger?  And over $5 for a mixed salad of just lettuce, tomato and onion?  I know they need to have markups to cover their overhead, but this is Mexico, not the U.S. or Canada.  Labor costs are much lower here, and those ingredients would be plentiful and inexpensive here.

Those prices just caused hundreds of baby-boomers to cancel their applications for residence visas!  The economy of Ajijic is doomed and the "1%" will have to dine in Guadalajara 'con la gente'.

3 hours ago, suegarn said:

Yes, their prices seem high.  Over $4 US for french fries, and almost $10 for a hamburger?  And over $5 for a mixed salad of just lettuce, tomato and onion?  I know they need to have markups to cover their overhead, but this is Mexico, not the U.S. or Canada.  Labor costs are much lower here, and those ingredients would be plentiful and inexpensive here.

But look at the weight of the fries far too much for one person

2 minutes ago, ibbocat said:

But look at the weight of the fries far too much for one person

I've noticed that some of our restaurants put way too much food on the plate...especially fries.  It would be nice if they would offer two levels of servings at appropriate prices.  I know...never gonna happen.   😎

We ate there tonight, four of us.  I don’t mind paying these prices if the food is exceptional along with service.  The place is large... with both inside and patio seating, but there was no one eating inside and the patio was packed.  The waitstaff are all nice, but need to be a bit more attentive.  Those kinks will of course work themselves out.

Meanwhile, the steaks were good, but came very rare and we had to send them back, the hamburger was so so.   The small size Garufa salad (which looked bigger) was 100p for iceberg lettuce, tasteless tomatoes, sautéed onions and a mostly tasteless vinegary dressing.  We were surprised, (but shouldn’t have been) when we got the bill to see a charge for each iced tea...a narrow glass of watered down iced tea for 38p.  We also had to ask for water.  Oh, the creamed spinach though was yummy!  And I hate spinach!

We spent an average of 750p each.  A lot for mediocre food.  BTW this Garufa is indeed part of the Garufa chain.  The manager confirmed that to me...  they are in Zacatecas, San Miguel, El Paso, Aguascalientes and not sure where else.  We’ll stick to Tango for Argentinian.

10 hours ago, Bettinka said:

We ate there tonight, four of us.  I don’t mind paying these prices if the food is exceptional along with service.  The place is large... with both inside and patio seating, but there was no one eating inside and the patio was packed.  The waitstaff are all nice, but need to be a bit more attentive.  Those kinks will of course work themselves out.

Meanwhile, the steaks were good, but came very rare and we had to send them back, the hamburger was so so.   The small size Garufa salad (which looked bigger) was 100p for iceberg lettuce, tasteless tomatoes, sautéed onions and a mostly tasteless vinegary dressing.  We were surprised, (but shouldn’t have been) when we got the bill to see a charge for each iced tea...a narrow glass of watered down iced tea for 38p.  We also had to ask for water.  Oh, the creamed spinach though was yummy!  And I hate spinach!

We spent an average of 750p each.  A lot for mediocre food.  BTW this Garufa is indeed part of the Garufa chain.  The manager confirmed that to me...  they are in Zacatecas, San Miguel, El Paso, Aguascalientes and not sure where else.  We’ll stick to Tango for Argentinian.

Wow, that's quite a tab for mediocre food in the hinterlands.  It's a Mexico city price.  B)

At least so far it appears their success depends on how many people are willing to pay the highest restaurant prices around for a chance at having an exceptional meal with outstanding service. They are part of a chain which can carry them while they sort themselves out. I’m going to wait for better odds.

W won't be going. They are extremely large portions with prices to match. We don't buy large portions which are good for 2 or more retirees here who are the major part on the population who can possible afford these prices. They would have been better to open in Guadalajara where the younger more affluent people eat these size portions. It may be popular with the Guad Squad on weekends.

11 minutes ago, Xena said:

At least so far it appears their success depends on how many people are willing to pay the highest restaurant prices around for a chance at having an exceptional meal with outstanding service. They are part of a chain which can carry them while they sort themselves out. I’m going to wait for better odds.

So far, reviews here have been entirely un-exceptional. One would think a chain such as this would know how to open. And a place that specializes in steaks that can't get the cook right? As Chef Ramsey would say, "Oh, come on!!"

On 8/31/2018 at 8:35 AM, tomgates said:

Traditional steakhouse side dishes are large as they are meant to be shared. 

On 9/4/2018 at 5:06 PM, lakeside7 said:

I did not  know  that.....so if everyone orders a side plate of French Fries  you keep moving the plates around..how jolly 

Tom is right. Traditional steakhouse sides are intended to be "family style". When put in that context I hope the image isn't so odd to you. 

These prices are steep but given the possibility of sharing and if it meets the quality of restaurants like the Palm in NYC, I would not mind it for a special occasion.

Archived