Chapala.com Webboard

Recommendation for basic auto insurance.

S&S Auto.   I was under the impression there are basically 3 insurance companies and the local agents go to them for a price.  Qualitas GNP and HDI.   I use HDI because in my opinion their overall response time from the scene of the accident to any payout is better than the other two.  It is marginally higher in cost then the others usually.    So to me I want an agent who I can trust and for that I pick S&S Auto.

Remember that if your go to a brokerage company, it can represent those insurance companies it wishes while if you go to an insurance agent, he is an agent from one company. At one time Parker Insurance brokerage, and could choose the company you choose. that may have changed.

I have no idea whether Bellon is a brokerage company which means it could represent all three or whether it acts as an agent for one company.

1 hour ago, barbara habacht said:

Bellon can be not all it claims to be.

That's not a very useful statement.  How about something to back it up?

We've been dealing with Bellon for years, both for household and auto insurance and their coverage is fairly priced.  We were dealing with another agent who gets high praise, but we didn't get very good service when we had an accident, so we switched.  We haven't had any more claims since going with Bellon, but the cost of our auto policy has been lower.  We were told by both the former agent and by Bellon that, unlike the U.S., the rates are not based on your personal driving history, but are based on the brand and model of the car you're insuring.  This doesn't seem logical, but that's the way it is.😎

32 minutes ago, El congrejo said:

I thought it a very useful statement.  Polite without hostility.  Absolutely no need to hear the story.   I too had a bad experience and wouldn’t use them but to each his own

Without hearing the nature of the "bad experience", what is the "usefulness" of either the other statement or yours?

17 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

I asked Parker to give me other company rates for same basic coverage.

I got HDI --  $3,011.12

It pays to ask/shop around.

Yes it does. I've found that the relative prices from the various insurance companies vary greatly from year to year. That's why I like S&S. They automatically give me all the prices every renewal time. I don't have to ask.

i use Jesus Tejeda  Axa insurance

never had a negative feedback from any friends that i referred to him.

About i was doing due diligence just checking what other car insurance policies are offering and fees.

stopped in Bellon office. told a i would like a comparison quote to AXA, if they had a better policy,

They never called me back. I just tool the response that they did not have a better policy or service AXA.

I had a previous provider before they never would email or call me when policy due.

Jesus always emails when due for last five years.

I was referred to Jesus by a friend who had a accident, yes insurance companies always try to not pay or pay later.

he said Jesus was able to get his claims paid. with only small hassle by company.

He said Jesus does this fro a living, and enjoys being an insurance agent and is a pleasure to work with.

I not had a accident. but i asked Jesus about the policy coverage he gets back me

jtejeda17@hotmail.com

333-35631300

333-667-0499 (His cell # and probably the best way to reach him)

A friend just told me she left her agent of 12 years or more because although the claim was paid and repairs made there was this one issue of who made an extra problem, the tow company or the repair facility.  Well it was a big deal to the repair or towing because they would have to admit being at fault.  It was a big deal to the agent because nobody wanted to pay to fix it.   And it was a big deal to my friend because she wanted it fixed right now.  The agent wasn't able to accomplish that and short of paying for it himself his hands were tied.  She paid to fix the mysteriously broken thing that like many things in Mexico "broke itself".

She took her auto insurance business to someone else, just like Gringal, but left all her other policies with him.  But my mind works in a way that says she now has the agent in a position where she has been incredibly reasonable about a claim.  He is going to bend over backwards the next time she needs him.  And forever more.

It has always been about the agent here and what you trust him to do on your behalf.  I trust mine to show up, look out for me and do his best by me that he possibly can accomplish.  

My auto agent said that my auto break-in....passenger window busted out and seat back ripped...was not covered, I went to another agent who was able to get my window replaced as well as repairing the seat back from the same auto company...and that was before I moved my auto policy to him. 

My input is that agents are like picking fruit....sometimes everything is good and then it can go bad and then it doesn't get better....I am glad that I changed agents.

Bellon is an insurance broker. I have been with him many years and every year my auto insurance goes down, approximately $200 US for this past year.  I have not had any auto claim but I’ve had multiple severe medical problems and he has been there every minute I needed him. 

I find it interesting that no one recommended TioCorp neither good or bad. They are my current agent but I was disappointed they would not switch my previous vehicle for a Mexican plated purchase even though there is still 5 months left on my policy and I’ve been in Canada for the last 5 months. Any other experiences?

Remember that agents and brokers sell insurance policies. They are not the "insurance company" and they don't personally "handle" the claims process. Having said that, the agent/broker can have a huge impact on how a claim is handled and can definitely provide lots of support and service during what can be a trying period. They can't directly make claims or payment decisions but can (and should) be available and pull out all the stops in representing your interests.

We use Jesus Tejeda and have been overwhelmingly happy with every aspect of our time with him - almost 12 years. We have not had an auto claim but have had serious medical issues and he has been there every step of the way. Couldn't have been better.

One last comment. When comparing insurance costs be sure you are doing an "apples to apples" comparison. Limits, deductibles, exclusions, etc. will have a big impact on the final cost and how your claim will be paid. Just be sure you no what you are buying and don't buy solely on price. Jesus will make sure you understand all those considerations.

Archived