Chapala.com Webboard

Lake level

cedros

1 hour ago, geeser said:

On weekends by Madero st if you turn right at the light toward the lake from Hidalgo in Chapala, on the right across from the big old church a man sets up to sell old photos to the tourist. Stop and Browse the photos and you'll find photos of the lake up in the Residence (now Los Cazadores) and in the old Hotel Nilo (now city hall). the water is deep and must extend far into Chapala.

1 hour ago, geeser said:

On weekends by Madero st if you turn right at the light toward the lake from Hidalgo in Chapala, on the right across from the big old church a man sets up to sell old photos to the tourist. Stop and Browse the photos and you'll find photos of the lake up in the Residence (now Los Cazadores) and in the old Hotel Nilo (now city hall). the water is deep and must extend far into Chapala.

I think you're referring to the Hotel Nida (nest) where I used to stay on my visits way back in the day. Now City hall and across from the church, I remember being jarred awake at 6:30 in the mornings by Very loud bells announcing the morning service. I found this old post that shows some great photos including one of the train station under water that I saw for myself:

http://www.lake-chapala.com/lake-chapala-title-hotel-nido-chapala-id-picture-18.html

4 hours ago, barrbower said:

I don't have any photos but when I lived here 46 years ago the water rose up to almost the bottom of the windows of the Posada and the lakeside entrance, between the old restaurant and the bar, was bricked up over half way to prevent water from coming into the buildings.  All patrons had to enter from the street side hotel entrance and pass through the grounds to get back to the bar.  I remember sitting near a window and we'd have waves come up onto the window glass and a little water would splash through the gaps onto the table.  The lake came up almost to 16th of Sept.  Everything where the malecon, pier, and park are now would have been under water.  So be careful when you wish the lake would fill up!  Alan

Yes I too experienced waves hitting the windows in the old Posada restaurant. If I remember correctly it was 1976 in June or July. 

My memories are from about September of 1973 which was one of the years when the lake was highest.  But since there were only a few places to drink and dance in those days, The Posada was always busy...just a little wetter than normal.  Anybody remember the original Tejaban on Ocampo where the furniture store is now?   Alan

The Old Posada had a water mark on the wall until its latest occupant painted it out.  Sadly it was a landmark deleted.

The last time the water was high Bobby was about to move from his restaurant from the the building on the eastern side of the parking lot by the lake.  He moved the day before the water hit the top step.  Great timing.

Archived