Chapala.com Webboard

Consome de Birria

ComputerGuy

I was just gifted this small packed of rust-coloured powder, but I have no idea if it's to be mixed with water/caldo and used as a sauce, or as a marinade, or as a flavour additive to a pot of goat bones... and if so, what the ration of liquid to powder might be.

I'm hoping More Liana or someone who may have experienced this can help out.

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I was just gifted this small packed of rust-coloured powder, but I have no idea if it's to be mixed with water/caldo and used as a sauce, or as a marinade, or as a flavour additive to a pot of goat bones... and if so, what the ration of liquid to powder might be.

I'm hoping More Liana or someone who may have experienced this can help out.

Is this commercially packed?  Could you post a picture--and are there instructions on the package?

The wife says it to make birria broth. The broth can be used to make a soup or cook meat (goat, beef, chicken). Birria is the name of dish (favoring), not the meat but most people think of goat.

The instructions are "by taste". Have you ever heard "a little bit of this, a little bit of that"?

On 8/28/2018 at 8:27 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Lol, if there were instructions, well... Just some little shop in Chapala. About 4 inches square.

Birria.jpg

As soon as I asked the question I figured it would be a little package just like you posted, not McCormick Birria Seasoning--if there were such a thing.  I'd say add a little at a time to hot water till the consomé has the flavor you want.   Are you making birria de chivo or birria de res?  I'm just curious.  

Actually, at this point, I'm not making anything. I just wanted to know what to do with it. It could be birria de pollo, for all I know. I have other powdered and pasty substances for things like pozole, including one that looks very similar to the birria package, and some that are brand names. But the pozolo, for example, makes a sauce for simmering the meat.

McCormick birria seasoning. I like that. Someday.

4 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Actually, at this point, I'm not making anything. I just wanted to know what to do with it. It could be birria de pollo, for all I know. I have other powdered and pasty substances for things like pozole, including one that looks very similar to the birria package, and some that are brand names. But the pozolo, for example, makes a sauce for simmering the meat.

McCormick birria seasoning. I like that. Someday.

I feel certain that the birria seasoning also makes a sauce for simmering the meat.  G'wan, get a goat and give it a try.  Jajajaja!

On 8/29/2018 at 9:10 AM, ComputerGuy said:

I'm wondering, because the package is small. It just wouldn't make very much sauce. (Back in a minute... just checking on the goats tied up in the back yard...)

birria2.jpg

https://www.thespruceeats.com/birria-family-recipe-2342673

It might be easier to go to Chololo for your birria fix.  Sundays are a total party there, if you haven't been, you'll love it.  They inseminate, raise, and slaughter their own goats; the birria is different from the (pardon me) slop served at Lakeside and I dream about it once in a while.  Totally delicious.  
http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2008/07/mexico-cooks-and-el-mural-at-birriería-el-chololo.html

Chololo #4 is one of my favourite places. I was first taken there on a Sunday, when there were so many people you could barely move, and two large bands roving the place. It was a stunning meal, with the meat and the liquid served separately... and mountains of meat. I loved it, and have stopped by there several times to hang out by the goat skulls while I wait for orders to go.

Sadly, my regular partners are not fond of goat, or spicy food. A shame.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:33 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Chololo #4 is one of my favourite places. I was first taken there on a Sunday, when there were so many people you could barely move, and two large bands roving the place. It was a stunning meal, with the meat and the liquid served separately... and mountains of meat. I loved it, and have stopped by there several times to hang out by the goat skulls while I wait for orders to go.

Sadly, my regular partners are not fond of goat, or spicy food. A shame.

Next time I go over your way, we'll go eat there--I'll make sure I'm there on a Sunday, and I know some other Lakeside people who love it, too.  We will get your goat, as it were.

Chivito Valle de Bravo 2.jpg

Archived