Chapala.com Webboard

More CFE outages in Riberas

A CFE worker actually rang on my doorbell a bit ago and told me the power would be out on Wednesday August 29 from 10 am to 5 pm.

"Sobre la calle Santa Lucas, 140 metros de av. de la Ribera, y 70 metros de la calle San Luis ambas al cruce con san Lorenzo."

Not that I'm excited about being without power for the fourth time in a week, but at least it lets me change my plans.

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

A CFE worker actually rang on my doorbell a bit ago and told me the power would be out on Wednesday August 29 from 10 am to 5 pm.

"Sobre la calle Santa Lucas, 140 metros de av. de la Ribera, y 70 metros de la calle San Luis ambas al cruce con san Lorenzo."

Not that I'm excited about being without power for the fourth time in a week, but at least it lets me change my plans.

If I know ahead of time, I buy a bag of ice for your refrigerator.

I haven't a total power outage since early 2008 when my photo-voltaic solar system was installed. Yes my solar backup system continues to provide power, day or night when CFE was or is down.

When I ordered my system in 2007, CFE had a much worse reputation than it does now. So in those days, it made sense to add battery backup. Not any more, in fact it is nearly impossible to find a solar company that sells battery backup systems.

About three years ago I had to replace my 8 deep cell golf cart batteries. At that wasn't cheap.

I really love the fact that  the refrigerator, one or two lights in each room, my TV system and my computer have power 24 seven. I also don't have to reset the electric clock in my refrigerator and electric clock in the TV room either

Would I recommend you try to get a battery powered backup system today?  Heck no. But it is sure nice to have my old system.

" I haven't a total power outage since early 2008 when my photo-voltaic solar system was installed. Yes my solar backup system continues to provide power, day or night when CFE was or is down. When I ordered my system in 2007, CFE had a much worse reputation than it does now. So in those days, it made sense to add battery backup. Not any more, in fact it is nearly impossible to find a solar company that sells battery backup systems. About three years ago I had to replace my 8 deep cell golf cart batteries. At that wasn't cheap. I really love the fact that the refrigerator, one or two lights in each room, my TV system and my computer have power 24 seven. I also don't have to reset the electric clock in my refrigerator and electric clock in the TV room either Would I recommend you try to get a battery powered backup system today? Heck no. But it is sure nice to have my old system." You should save this to a file so you would not need to type it over and over. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I hear ya computer guy. It is getting tedious but, apparently, they are "improving" the infrastructure for the "future". Well, I was going to go shopping to replace the food that I had to throw away... but think I may just go day to day for a while. Their last "10 am to 5 pm" turned into slightly over thirty hours without power because they blew a transformer when turning it back on. Then they had to go to Guadalajara to get a replacement. Boy Scouts they're not.

I keep four gel packs in my freezer to help out in these situations... they all thawed.  Thanks for the heads up.

On the subject of back up plans... this for your cell phone.

When I went to buy a back up for my phone, I originally intended to go to Steren's but it was closed. So I went to Walmart instead. I wasn't particularly impressed with their offerings in the side where the TV's are and asked if they had something better. The young man took me over to the wall attached to the kiosks. There, I found the B-one (white) 5,000 maH backup. What I didn't realize at the time is that it is PRECHARGED so is good for immediate use. I just assumed that I would charge it when the power came back and my butt would be (sorta) covered for the next time there was a power failure. MY BAD. If I had read the instructions at the time (you will need a magnifying glass), I could have stopped panicking. Now you know.

There are a number of devices of differing amperage and price, for charging anything that is USB-based, like cell phones. They are excellent and it is worth avoiding the cheap ones. It is also good to test the charge every now and then. The better ones have "charged" indicator lights.

I also found at WalMart, in the so-called electrical section, a battery-powered LED desk lamp, with four levels of power. Keep it plugged in to keep it charged. More useful than those now old-fashioned LED light bars that died after a year whether they got used or not.

Good one CG! Now, if somebody would bring in rechargeable fans, I'd be in seventh heaven. In the meantime, I'll be ordering two from Amazon.

There's only one thing worse than a power failure... and that's a power failure in MAY.

Power just went out in upper Ajijic above Las Salvias. The closest transformer seems Ok. So I am guessing the transformer that my gardening heard popping when the power went out is in the center of Las Salvias. Just guessing. The power went out at about 13:00 hours today, Friday. Oh well

Edit: My gardener walked down one street into the center of Las Salvias and there was the transformer that had gone out.

A communication from CFE--WOW!  A new day is dawning when one will actually know what is happening with CFE? To think that I lived long enough to see this day;)! But wait! Will they follow thru on schedule? I will stay tuned for further developments.

One of my neighbors works for CFE. He goes to work every morning on his motorcycle around 7:50 am. At around 8:30 am I see him come home with a CFE pickup truck. At around 10:30 am he leaves again but seems to show up again around 2:00 pm (maybe its time to privatize...).

On 8/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, Ferret said:

Got mine at SuperLake but I do think Walmart sells them too. Back ups don't seem to be much good any more... we need back ups to the back ups as well.

We've been looking for freezer gel packs for weeks.  Can only find the little bitty ones used for achy bodies.  Where in Walmart and Superlake did you find them?

Archived