Chapala.com Webboard

New "Limited" US-Mexico Trade Agreement

RickS

Yup. I hear ya Ferret.  If it can't be a "win-win-win" then as a Canadian citizen and former resident I think the Canadian negotiating team needs to tell the US to "Bite me".  It is time Canadian business figured out how to survive in this Global Trade environment without depending on the US market so heavily.  During my working career I spent most of my time working for Canadian subs. of US Corporations.  The attitudes and this type of bullying by US based decision makers is nothing new.

At one point I was heavily involved with a certain cross-border gov't-sponsored group of diplomats and VIPS who were a think tank, of sorts, for Canada-US trade and business relations. This is 30 + years ago, and trust me... they had a complete handle on how to negotiate. Canada will not suffer.

Canadian govt. officials commented yesterday that 

"... Relations between Canada and the USA are at their worst point ever. ..."
Pressure mounts on the White House, as NPR reports this morning:
"... In future trade disputes between the USA & Canada, Trump is insisting that he be allowed to unilaterally punish Canada,     while the Canadians say future trade disputes should go to arbitration. ..."

" ... A number of Republican Congressmen & Senators are saying   ~ They will not vote for a trade deal with Mexico,  unless Canada is part of the deal ~   because the lost Canadian trade would hurt their State economies. ... "

It becomes nearly impossible for the USA to pass a "trade agreement", when even Republican legislators refuse to vote for their own party's agreement,

Archived