Chapala.com Webboard

El Ancla

ComputerGuy

Well, I have to say things have certainly changed for the better since the last time I was at El Ancla. Jose took over and he is doing it right. I am not easy to impress; most times around here, I just want to be satisfied.

Only a few people on Saturday night, but enough that the high quality and pace of service is worth noting. Some warm slices of bread aioli arrived right away with our good-sized limonadas (30p, too much, but...). I asked about the potato leek soup, and unfortunately it was of the chunky and not creamy variety, so instead I ordered the clam chowder, which was absolutely delicous, if over-priced (95p).

The two meals were excellent. Mushroom chicken breast was slathered in a thick and very tasty sauce (130p), and the ribs cooked in front of me on the grille were also bathed in a very tasty, if too sweet (for my buds) sauce. There were not a lot of ribs for $150p, but considering the quality of the roasted veg and the very nicely done mashed potatos, I'd have them again. Everything arrived in a timely fashion and piping hot. In fact, when we asked for two soupspoons, they brought us two individual bowls, with the soup already divvied up.

Sitting outside wasn't too bad, traffic-wise. For those that don't know the location, it's west of town just beside La Reserva fracc, on the lake side. 12 to 9, 33 1361 5044.

We always sit inside there because of the traffic noise and it's quite comfortable.  Next time you dip your culinary toe there, try the chicken cordon bleu or the Poblano sauce chicken.  The cordon bleu isn't from a frozen package like some others are:  it's home made from a HUGE chicken breast. I always take about half home.

They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week at present.  One caveat:  the breakfast is very good with a generous bowl of fruit along with the rest, but unless you like extremely greasy hash browns, go for the other options in 'taters.

Just a BTW on the location: there's a reputedly yummy chocolate shop on the same strip and our favorite pizza is next door to El Ancla restaurant. Tough sourdough thin crust but fine pizza sauce and ingredients.

18 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Don't know when they switch, but the phone number is there... and yes, they had lamb arrechera on the menu.

Partner would have had the chicken poblano, but they did tell us it is a tad spicy.

Last time I had the poblano it wasn't, and I have a very low tolerance for spicy......but they may have changed it.

I'm going back. Did you see the ad in the Reporter for El Ancla? (It's back on the churches page.) 30% off your second meal for the entire month of September. Not to mention, 2 for 1 booze all day (including, interestingly enough, breakfast at 8:30).

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Wondering if anyone has been for that special since it started this month, other than the couples who apparently had to ask.

I've been there three times for lunch with my husband since the "special" for September was offered.  Three times the check came with no discount shown. Each time we had to ask for the discount, at which time the waiter went back, put the discount on the bill and said nothing about it.  Bad policy, IMO.  At Yves, the 10% discount on Mondays shows up on the bill automatically.

Otherwise, the food and service are very good.  The poblano sauce chicken and the Chicken Cordon Bleu are winners, with portions large enough to satisfy even the big eaters. My friend offered high praise of the ribs.

We eat there at least once a week, maybe 2x. We live only a few hundred metres away.

A dish we often order, apart from chicken, is Caesar Salad either on its own or with chicken or shrimp. The dressing is fresh and the whole salad/dressing is made at your table as you and the rest of the restaurant watch. Very well done and well worth the price. (Max 130p)

For those who like it, lamb ribs, chops and shank are on the menu 7 days a week

Archived