Chapala.com Webboard

Can Laptop Power Bars Be Shared Between Laptops?

Frijoles

I think she means "power supply" - the part you plug into the wall.

It depends on the voltage, amperage (aka watts) and polarity of the connector

You can find those numbers on the power unit itself.

Normally the polarity would not change between models

you can purchase a new one here for $10 CDN https://goo.gl/esDnGa

If you click on the tab "how to purchase correct product it will show you what to look for.

I have used this company and they are reliable

James

Just like the power bar (battery) for the Dell E5420, the ac adapter charger from the Dell E6420 will also work. She does not need to buy anything. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-ADAPTER-CHARGER-FOR-DELL-LATITUDE-E5420-E5520-E6250-E6320-E6420-65W-/201726960724

Guest English Rose

Power bar = battery? While waiting for a new battery, remove the old battery and just plug the computer in the wall. I have used mine like this for almost 2 years.

Power bar is the term for the external power supply-AC/DC converter, that plugs into the wall to charge and/or power the laptop. It is usually a small brick with cables coming out of each end.

A battery is usually bar-shaped, thus the confusion in terminology.

It is always wise to double-check whether a power bar/power supply for one device will work in another, because of the differences in amperage and voltage, as those kind posters above have shown. "Original" power supplies will have their polarity pre-determined, and that is only an issue when you buy a multi-purpose power supply designed to fit several sizes of laptop; some have reversible polarity tips.

On 8/27/2018 at 9:25 PM, Tiny said:

Just like the power bar (battery) for the Dell E5420, the ac adapter charger from the Dell E6420 will also work. She does not need to buy anything. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-ADAPTER-CHARGER-FOR-DELL-LATITUDE-E5420-E5520-E6250-E6320-E6420-65W-/201726960724

She needs to buy another ac adapter (power supply) if they want to use both laptops at the same time :)

On 8/29/2018 at 9:23 AM, ComputerGuy said:

>> Power bar is the term for the external power supply-AC/DC converter, that plugs into the wall to charge and/or power the laptop. It is usually a small brick with cables coming out of >> each end.

Not in the country I live in. Type "power bar" into google and see what I mean. It's usually has 6 or more AC receptacles  mounted in a line powered from one outlet. 

Power supply or AC adapter is the common term for the brick shaped object supplying DC power to the laptop.

You are splitting hairs. You know exactly what we are talking about... unless you truly don't, in which case there is no point in carrying on any further conversation. Here we are, trying our best to explain to others, and this is your position. Excellent work.

Ok, go to say www.google.ca and enter power bar. I did and got some great results. Some of these power bars even have cholate in them. They really sound good to eat.

Next I searched for a computer power bar and I got," The Best Power Strips and Surge Protectors to Keep You Going"

Then I entered " best Dell computer power bar" and shown below I got:

APC
  • Manufacturer part P74
  • Dell part A0529314
Lightning and power surges can ruin your electronic equipment while changes in voltage can cause lockups and loss of work. The 7-Outlet Essential SurgeArrest® Surge Protector from APC® protects your equipment from these threats. It offers optimal performa ………..  

Next I think maybe you mean the battery inside the laptop.  I am glad you folks are trying to figure out what Frijoles meant, because all of these difference suggestions, has me confused. I am glad at least ComputerGuy is trying to help.

You are right, Pete. However, this whole thread has used the term "power bar" to describe what I originally referred to as an AC/DC power adapter, which is correct terminology for such a thing. I also described exactly what I meant, so there could be no mistake about which component was being highlighted. It is even more commonly referred to as a laptop AC charger. https://www.staples.com/dell+laptop+charger/directory_dell+laptop+charger

I most of the time use the term "external power supply" when discussing with professionals. Whatever you want to call it, I believe we all know to what we refer.

All you have to do is turn the red switch on.

"That is how I get all of my power for free. The longer the power bar, the more plugs can be connected. It's amazing what those TESLA batteries will power. And all fitted into that  power bar"

Archived