Chapala.com Webboard

Find a need; fill the need. That person who thinks makes others think.

I believe, or maybe hope, there is a need Lakeside for an activity that some people will not only enjoy, but I read will actually help people mentally, and is believed to delay possible dementia.

I would like to see a debating society Lakeside. Not a discussion group, but a real debating society that goes by accepted rules of debate, not argumentation.

Please don't say these Web-boards are the same thing, because we know they are not.

FWIW, I am a Charter Member of the Lakeside Toastmasters Club, that a lot of people enjoy and benefit from.

So I would like to talk about this idea here and if there is any real interest, work to put it together.

Finally, just like in a debate, I would appreciate serious comments and not to have this thread hijacked or become personal.

Table is open for input.

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

I believe, or maybe hope, there is a need Lakeside for an activity that some people will not only enjoy, but I read will actually help people mentally, and is believed to delay possible dementia.

I would like to see a debating society Lakeside. Not a discussion group, but a real debating society that goes by accepted rules of debate, not argumentation.

Please don't say these Web-boards are the same thing, because we know they are not.

FWIW, I am a Charter Member of the Lakeside Toastmasters Club, that a lot of people enjoy and benefit from.

So I would like to talk about this idea here and if there is any real interest, work to put it together.

Finally, just like in a debate, I would appreciate serious comments and not to have this thread hijacked or become personal.

Table is open for input.

Thanks.

A lofty and desirable goal.  However, based on experience of ten years at lakeside....good luck in finding enough people who think with their brain instead of their gut and their prejudices, and who are also interested in spending time in that way.🖖

We used to have lots of dinner parties with... debating. The difference was that we proposed a topic then TOLD the guests, in advance, which side they were debating... for or against. It was a very interesting way to make people pay attention to what the other side was trying to convey. Lots of good times, discussions and laughs.

"So I would like to talk about this idea here and if there is any real interest, work to put it together.

Finally, just like in a debate, I would appreciate serious comments and not to have this thread hijacked or become personal."

Question:. Is it possible for members of this webboard to focus on the proposed topic instead of highjacking the thread for their own idea.  Maybe start a thread about cannabis and another about table tennis.

11 minutes ago, Wookie said:

"So I would like to talk about this idea here and if there is any real interest, work to put it together.

Finally, just like in a debate, I would appreciate serious comments and not to have this thread hijacked or become personal."

Question:. Is it possible for members of this webboard to focus on the proposed topic instead of highjacking the thread for their own idea.  Maybe start a thread about cannabis and another about table tennis.

Never intended to" hijack" the topic only thought that it was a relevant issue regarding dementia. Maybe you can debate the merits of both? 

12 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Question:. Is it possible for members of this webboard to focus on the proposed topic instead of highjacking the thread for their own idea. 

I would say -no - the timing is wrong. There is a media overload of debate, disguised as news. Too much chatter, tweets and opinions already, maybe the public hasn't had enough, but I sure have. I prefer the sweet solace of the garden, birds. Then again, I "experimented" with debate in Universities, I have the skills - but so what?

To ward off dementia, learning another language is said to be rather effective, and quite useful in certain circumstances; like living in Mexico. Perhaps learning Spanish would challenge the minds of many local denizens, who have obviously convinced themselves that the challenge exceeded their capacity, as a result of advanced age.  Perhaps some were just never properly equipped in the first place. If so, they should certainly avoid attempts to debate, or argue about anything at all.

As an octogenarian, I will not invite responses containing excuses, as I still study three other languages beyond my imperfect English, and will be too busy to participate.

Now....back to Duolingo.com 

There are not too many independent thinkers these days for a debate. The society is run by social media and  "ideologists" who will pontificate their views to the death and are not capable to listen  the arguments of the "other side". Which make debates useless. You can see it around all the time. Including this webboard.

22 minutes ago, Islander said:

There are not too many independent thinkers these days for a debate. The society is run by social media and  "ideologists" who will pontificate their views to the death and are not capable to listen  the arguments of the "other side". Which make debates useless. You can see it around all the time. Including this webboard.

You're absolutely right... so was Zappa! 

Rv learning a new language dles nothing to alzheimer.. My old boss was 55 when he was diagnose with alzheiner, he had an unbelevable memory spoke 5 languages fluently and was learning Italian when he came down with it.. I know several cases lime his.. 

16 minutes ago, bmh said:

Rv learning a new language dles nothing to alzheimer.. My old boss was 55 when he was diagnose with alzheiner, he had an unbelevable memory spoke 5 languages fluently and was learning Italian when he came down with it.. I know several cases lime his.. 

So far, there is little understanding and no cure for this terrible affliction.  Speculation abounds, and many studies are made.

Learning a language is a good thing on its own merits.

2 hours ago, gringal said:

So far, there is little understanding and no cure for this terrible affliction.  Speculation abounds, and many studies are made.

Learning a language is a good thing on its own merits.

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/24/alzheimers-disease-table-tennis-bat-foundation_n_7714954.html?guccounter=1

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/the-olympics-for-the-rest-of-us-how-ping-pong-can-help-your-brain/

By Daniel G. Amen, MD

My favorite physical activity is table tennis, which also happens to be the world's best brain sport. It is highly aerobic and gets both the upper and lower body moving in every which way — twisting, bending down low, reaching up high, and shuffling from side to side. Plus, it gives your brain one heckuva workout.

http://www.tabletennisbygary.com/table-tennis-is-the-worlds-best-brain-sport-by-dr-daniel-g-amen-md/

I have numerous studies on this topic and can supply them if you are interested. 

Table Tennis Chapala

17 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/24/alzheimers-disease-table-tennis-bat-foundation_n_7714954.html?guccounter=1

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/the-olympics-for-the-rest-of-us-how-ping-pong-can-help-your-brain/

By Daniel G. Amen, MD

My favorite physical activity is table tennis, which also happens to be the world's best brain sport. It is highly aerobic and gets both the upper and lower body moving in every which way — twisting, bending down low, reaching up high, and shuffling from side to side. Plus, it gives your brain one heckuva workout.

http://www.tabletennisbygary.com/table-tennis-is-the-worlds-best-brain-sport-by-dr-daniel-g-amen-md/

I have numerous studies on this topic and can supply them if you are interested. 

Table Tennis Chapala

Thanks for that information.  Where is the game available to the public?  It does take up space.

It just occurred to me that doing housework also involves twisting, bending, etc.  But no scientific studies on that I've heard of.

😄🖖

7 hours ago, gringal said:

Thanks for that information.  Where is the game available to the public?  It does take up space.

It just occurred to me that doing housework also involves twisting, bending, etc.  But no scientific studies on that I've heard of.

😄🖖

Table Tennis Chapala 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1622311224530688/

A club in the Chapala area devoted to the game of Table Tennis. We meet every Monday / Wednesday / Friday at between the hours of 2:15 to 4:30. New members are welcome to join and play. A small monthly fee is required to pay for the facilities and tables.

Location Chula Vista Country Club, Calle Paseo del Golf 5, Fracc. Chula Vista, 45900 Chapala, Jal.

BTW a lot more fun than housework! 😉 

12 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

Table Tennis Chapala 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1622311224530688/

A club in the Chapala area devoted to the game of Table Tennis. We meet every Monday / Wednesday / Friday at between the hours of 2:15 to 4:30. New members are welcome to join and play. A small monthly fee is required to pay for the facilities and tables.

Location Chula Vista Country Club, Calle Paseo del Golf 5, Fracc. Chula Vista, 45900 Chapala, Jal.

BTW a lot more fun than housework! 😉 

No question about it being more fun than housework....but what I was attempting to subtly imply is that you play table tennis because it's FUN...not because it's "good for you".  Have FUN with your group.😎

1 hour ago, gringal said:

No question about it being more fun than housework....but what I was attempting to subtly imply is that you play table tennis because it's FUN...not because it's "good for you".  Have FUN with your group.😎

No... not sure how you presume to know my motivation? I play mainly for the mental and physical benefits... It just fortunately happens to be fun. Can't argue with the neuroscience! 🏓

19 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

No... not sure how you presume to know my motivation? I play mainly for the mental and physical benefits... It just fortunately happens to be fun. Can't argue with the neuroscience! 🏓

Hevvin forbid I would presume to argue with neuroscience, let alone suppose what your motivation would be !!!  Once upon a time when I was young and agile, I was a top notch table tennis player and loved it...but strictly for the fun of it.  Got plenty of exercise otherwise.😄

I am going to review and make a list of those interested and see what we can do.

Another option could be forum discussions with panel members of different disciplines, and audience participation w/questions.

When I was in college debates, the professor in charge knew the things I felt strongly about and when it came to assigning sides, he always assigned me to be on the side I opposed. He said that the only way you can honestly oppose something, is you really know about it; then you have an opinion and not a prejudice.

Archived