Chapala.com Webboard

Save your neck!

Alpha1

I use a very thick book to raise my screen to eye level. without it, I have to tilt my neck down and as you get older that can create localized neck pain.  I checked out one of those desks you see offered that you can lift up so that you can stand. Looks great but costs around $14,000 pesos through Costco on line, which is too much for me :) 

I tried one of the standing desks once. There is an issue that is rarely mentioned in the sales pitches for those. Standing in one place for hours may not feel better, especially for older bodies,  or be much healthier than sitting. YMMV.

2 hours ago, Sea said:

I tried one of the standing desks once. There is an issue that is rarely mentioned in the sales pitches for those. Standing in one place for hours may not feel better, especially for older bodies,  or be much healthier than sitting. YMMV.

For some, standing for a long period is not good for their blood circulation. It may lead to swollen feet and ankles.

Ideally, unless you take your laptop on trips a lot, you would instead get a tower. Screen is larger, height is correct, keyboards (even the cheapest) are far better, and every part inside can easily be replaced. They are also more powerful and faster, with more disk storage space, for less money. And if you do travel, get a tablet. Buying all this extra stuff to make a laptop more like a desktop... well...

6 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Ideally, you want the center of your screen just a bit below eye level.  But I have trifocals so I'm always tipping my head back.  I need a taller chair.

If you can swing for a second pair of glasses, get one with the focus set at about 2 feet, full lens... or measure to your computer screen and always use the same distance. Tri or bi focals are hard on the eyes, if you spend a lot of time at the computer. You have to tip your head back and that means your lids don't cover your eyes when you blink. Dries your eye.

Archived