Chapala.com Webboard

Question about securing rental in GDL

hongos

Hello Everybody,

So we are going to GDL this coming February for one full week, Sunday - Sunday. Our plan is to bring excess baggage with us on the flight, thus lightening our load for the big drive (with feline companions) from FL. to GDL which will take place the following month.

Here is the question:

When we hit the ground in GDL, will our time there be sufficient to sign the lease and secure the apartment so that we can get keys and dump the baggage? As I mentioned earlier, we are looking at towers with security. It should be noted that our belongings will not be valuable, just clothing and other assorted personal stuff. Not concerned with theft. If it happens, it happens. We'll also be doing preliminary research on apartments and have appointments set up with realtors prior to our departure. When we land, we'll have our search narrowed down to just a few potential properties. 

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias!

Hongos

PS. We can always store our belongings in a storage facility if the timing doesn't work out. Correct?

Thanks Al Berca, we have joined a Facebook group and "expatforum.com" as well. Because this is (at least partially) a thread associated with Guadalajara, we value any feedback received here as well. Do you know of another specific GDL forum which could be of benefit as well?

Thanks!

If you haven't already watched it, there's an episode of House Hunters International with a couple from the DR moving to Guadalajara.  It's certainly not for me but you might pick up a tip or two.

Mexpat Guadalajara on Facebook is an excellent source of the kind of information you are looking for.  It was a great resource for me in finding an apartment for our students from Oaxaca.

One of the primary participants is a lady by the name of Mercy Duenas who handles rentals and can answer your questions directly and help you find one.  I suggest you get in touch with her directly ASAP.  Be aware nothing about real estate in GDL is simple or fast.  Don't go in there cold on your own!

2 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Mexpat Guadalajara on Facebook is an excellent source of the kind of information you are looking for.  It was a great resource for me in finding an apartment for our students from Oaxaca.

One of the primary participants is a lady by the name of Mercy Duenas who handles rentals and can answer your questions directly and help you find one.  I suggest you get in touch with her directly ASAP.  Be aware nothing about real estate in GDL is simple or fast.  Don't go in there cold on your own!

Thanks, Mainecoons.

Yes, Mexpat GDL on FB seems like a great community as well. We just introduced ourselves to Mercy this week and gave her a general time frame for our move. 

16 minutes ago, hongos said:

Hi Pappysmarket,

Yes, we saw that episode. We enjoy that show, if only to have a laugh at the priorities of others. :) 

Yes, that show has a laugh a minute.  Where do they find those people?

I think if I were trying to do what you are doing, I would seriously try to hire Intercasa, who posts here, for the entire house hunt.  He might not do it, it might cost too much, but I would sure has hell explore that. As MC said, you are looking at perhaps making some real bad decisions with just you and a realtor.  Sorry realtors, no specific offense intended.

Archived