Chapala.com Webboard

Ear Piercing Street Vendor in Mexico City

Bisbee Gal

We were in CDMX for a visit this week.

Went out nightly for dinner and would hear this shrieking whistle on the street, but we never saw the source (at first).

Then we saw the cart and we asked a local about it.  It is the legendary (in CDMX at least) camote y platano seller (sweet potato and banana).  His steam whistle will pierce an eardrum (ended up standing next to him once at a red light).  We could also hear it loudly from our 6th floor apartment.

We have lived in Ajijic off/on since 2008 and have traveled all around MX.  But hands down this guy takes the cake for a new level of noise.

To be clear, I am not complaining.  I find this traditional noise charming and I fear this may be the last generation of sellers such as this camote/platano cart as well as our local knife/scissor sharpener (his whistle does not hold a candle to the aforementioned vendor).  

Here are a few short videos about this...

Camote y platano vendor (short version)

Camote y platano vendor (longer version)

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Then we saw the cart and we asked a local about it.  It is the legendary (in CDMX at least) camote y platano seller (sweet potato and banana).  His steam whistle will pierce an eardrum (ended up standing next to him once at a red light).  We could also hear it loudly from our 6th floor apartment.

There's one who goes on patrol in Upper Ajijic where I live, above Farmacia Guadalajara, generally during the cooler/colder nights. It sounds like a steam locomotive pulling into town. I've heard them all over Mexico, even some beach locations.

I live in Col. Del Valle Tlacoquemécatl in Mexico City and a camote/plátano seller comes down my street fairly often.  I feel so happy when I hear the blast of the steam whistle--I know that the old traditions live on.  The knife sharpener passes by, too, with his pan pipe;  the scrap metal truck comes by several times a day with its loudspeaker blaring, the harmonium player stands on the street corner with his wonderful tunes pouring out of the organ, and the church bells in the tiny church in the park near me peal the Angelus at noon.  In the middle of this huge city, I feel the pulse of Mexico and its small-town past that keep the rhythm of the days.  

Organ Grinder (Cilindrero).jpg

• Like 2

@Travis....nice to know there is one in Upper Ajijic

@MoreLiana.....the knife sharpener passes our home every few weeks.  I love these traditions but fear the next generation may not carry on.

Here's photo of the camote cart, taken in Roma Norte earlier this week.

-XBue6iO7GZl0OdJMfwLkVUPYKDPY0ykki0zTUBNOvgQ4rk5uCSudvTHNbaAdaDuvQWB-wDSGY0ZB4yRJKavcBeFk2ijHEbRH6JEufnx_BteuJRRFMZMxuZuq7O7I46nChTPq_zfCsn5ymYMn4rO3woCq-gYv5BS0f2bnOgNCyHidMcEDbycfnowmMWOPg7radmQ4MhgNiNY0CR2kpV7Y1osM3Fc_5ws-tCtlsMKsC88eDSmDLCIBWifRmYW5VYIK84KZxM2nkSXZrHr1NqBXvdzIuLk3LqGdBm3t7Po2kTpcmbUP-NIWfbjox5G1eANTbYw1d_0RdovxYriikUqwzzTp-j_ZVO2C1wD2P3aHgrL_P_YWD99iqJfsmik-P8IEsE0vOpMwQ_20oKsTAheDIzehLatnCOhO2PXE6aZx1jhXui0yP_76ky349Nx4MHuAZmZ7xk1fA6JHM4yPG-clcNE_iYn_SwPcpRphkbASgYaZxq8UaS2KhljG2TWda-qztP3d-Q-bPKT5_6-DGaAF_9hErwx1O-x6apwHzVmRy9xufNNSXORPqS5vGAsCbEMx8_xlaUECgIn-kJOGOQJYHQ31-8L1vF0NULcG22myo2XsqGcJvvbJZrDaleePsHK=w689-h598-no

On 8/25/2018 at 9:26 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

@Travis....nice to know there is one in Upper Ajijic

@MoreLiana.....the knife sharpener passes our home every few weeks.  I love these traditions but fear the next generation may not carry on.

Here's photo of the camote cart, taken in Roma Norte earlier this week.

-XBue6iO7GZl0OdJMfwLkVUPYKDPY0ykki0zTUBNOvgQ4rk5uCSudvTHNbaAdaDuvQWB-wDSGY0ZB4yRJKavcBeFk2ijHEbRH6JEufnx_BteuJRRFMZMxuZuq7O7I46nChTPq_zfCsn5ymYMn4rO3woCq-gYv5BS0f2bnOgNCyHidMcEDbycfnowmMWOPg7radmQ4MhgNiNY0CR2kpV7Y1osM3Fc_5ws-tCtlsMKsC88eDSmDLCIBWifRmYW5VYIK84KZxM2nkSXZrHr1NqBXvdzIuLk3LqGdBm3t7Po2kTpcmbUP-NIWfbjox5G1eANTbYw1d_0RdovxYriikUqwzzTp-j_ZVO2C1wD2P3aHgrL_P_YWD99iqJfsmik-P8IEsE0vOpMwQ_20oKsTAheDIzehLatnCOhO2PXE6aZx1jhXui0yP_76ky349Nx4MHuAZmZ7xk1fA6JHM4yPG-clcNE_iYn_SwPcpRphkbASgYaZxq8UaS2KhljG2TWda-qztP3d-Q-bPKT5_6-DGaAF_9hErwx1O-x6apwHzVmRy9xufNNSXORPqS5vGAsCbEMx8_xlaUECgIn-kJOGOQJYHQ31-8L1vF0NULcG22myo2XsqGcJvvbJZrDaleePsHK=w689-h598-no

Your link is broken, here are a couple of my photos till yours is back on line.

DF Camotero 2.jpg

DF Camotero 1.jpg

• 4 years later...