Chapala.com Webboard

Snake ID

Had to eject a large (6 foot approx.) snake from our house last night. Didn't stay long enough for a photo, but it was uniformly dark grey, with a relatively small head.  Mr. Google seems to suggest  it was a Mexican Black King Snake. Are these common around here? First one I've seen in 15 years.

Hi, From your description I would say they are the common snake in these parts. We have had several here in Upper Chula Vista but have never seen one as big as yours. Our biggest was about two feet long.  You are lucky to have him in my opinion as they are great on vermin.

There is one that big here in Chapala Haciendas. Don't let a Gardener near it - they will kill all snakes. With the new resurfacing of the Chapala-Guadalajara Carretera, and updating the Libramento, there is a flurry of new roadside signs. There is one, bright yellow, with a snake, and it says serpento protectura (or similar). I have no idea what that is about. It is on the entrance of Chapala Haciendas 3, which has had rattlesnakes in the past.

Could very well have been a coach whip which is a constrictor; comes in various shades of green/grey/black; good for rats, mice and other vermin. Hubby almost stomped on a 2 mtr one while out for a walk one day.  Both (he and the snake) went in opposite directions.

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I looked a bit closer today, it is just before the entrance of the new hotel, it says serpent protection zone. Apparently even rattlesnakes are endangered in Mexico. You are not allowed to kill, sell, or transport them.

Hey no problema. i have no inclination to approach, catch, fondle, keep, eat, sell  or transport a snake.

SunFan

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't initially know whether it was dangerous our not. I'm snake ignorant. But what I did know is if you are going to grab a snake, hold it behind the head, so it can't turn around and bite you. That's what I did, carried it outside and let it go. 

Most likely ID is a Mexican black King snake 

I actually stepped on a snake like the one you mentioned, all grey and about three feet long. I was hiking in the hills of Ajijic when I saw it on the trail in front of me. It slithered into the brush as I approached and then suddenly and too fast for me to react it came back onto the trail. As I stepped on it, it raised up as if it wanted to bite me ! I jumped out of my shoes and managed to avoid being bitten. I hope the snake wasn't hurt. 

Archived