Chapala.com Webboard

US plated car to US after not renewing for 9 years

littleellie

Hoping someone will know what the process is and what paperwork is needed to get a US car back up there after not being renewed for 9 years...The owner is not a permanente and does  not live here now.  Does he have to be present at the border or can someone else drive it up for him after procuring the right documents?  Thanks

10 minutes ago, littleellie said:

Hoping someone will know what the process is and what paperwork is needed to get a US car back up there after not being renewed for 9 years...The owner is not a permanente and does  not live here now.  Does he have to be present at the border or can someone else drive it up for him after procuring the right documents?  Thanks

The way to bring a car in without incurring back license fees and penalties is to obtain a "non-operating" permit from the Dept. of Motor vehicles before the original license expires.  That's assuming the car is in Mexico .   I'd suggest asking these questions of a lawyer.  On the surface, it looks like back license and penalty fees loom for the owner of the car.

The driver should have written, notarized permission to drive the car, a returno seguro to make it legal and insurable, be named on the owner's insurance, etc.

See Spencer at Chapala Law with the owner/importers original car documents.

Otherwise; park it somewhere late at night, leaving the keys, and walk away.

I think that the 'owner' must present himself to Spencer to obtain a Retorno Seguro (Safe Return) on his behalf. Maybe that can be done with a Power of Attorney... I don't know. Spencer can fill in all the unknowns on this I'm sure.

Spencer could also/maybe, if needed, obtain a 'new' South Dakota title/registration for the vehicle to make the vehicle legal in the US once there. Maybe. That process would take a while I'm sure.

14 hours ago, littleellie said:

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about getting a vehicle back into the US, the registration for which is 9 years out of date. I would suggest re-registering the car in South Dakota, which many people down here do. That would require sending the vehicle ownership documents to their office. They will issue a new ownership certificate, plates, and registration card and FedEx it to the owner or his representative in Mexico. They do that for many US residents living in Mexico and it is a simple, friendly process that is also inexpensive (especially since the car is at least 9 years old). Check the archives of Chapala.com for the phone numbers of the South Dakota DMV and other details on exact documentation needed.

The owner can apply for a free Retorno Seguro permit ... on that permit, specify a driver who is authorized to drive the vehicle to the border ... have the driver listed on the insurance ...get a 30d Temporary tag & permit from Texas, when the vehicle gets to Texas.

That process is shorter & easier than getting a title, plates & registration from South Dakota.   If they choose to get SD title, plates & registration, then if they are from a state that borders SD it's not as easy  ...   Finally, we've found the Clay County (SD)  Treasurer's office is very very helpful this last 6 years.

http://www.claycountysd.org/treasurersoffice.cfm

Snowyco..... how does one go about getting a Retorno Seguro if they are no longer living in Mexico? On all the ones that I have been a designatead driver, the owner (and I) was sitting in Mexico able to give the required identification and sign the paperwork.

Archived