Chapala.com Webboard

TERMITES! ARRGH!

Ayunda!   I’ve been plagued with these hideous creatures for years.  I’ve forgotten how many treatments......old wood replaced with perrota (sp?) which they don’t care for.  Unfortunately, mí casa has an inordinate amount of wood.   They must be cut off at the pass!  Currently in cocina island...can’t have them head to the cabinets!  Eck, ick 🆘

does  anyone know of a good exterminator or solution!?  Would be most appreciated!

Gracias 😻

Knew of an excellent one in Puerto Vallarta. They have to know the "patterns" of termites, use an electric drill for small holes, then inject a powerful poison, which I forget the name of. Brush on every year or so on any exposed wood, especially on the bottom of wooden doors , remove the pins on the hinges and lift the doors out.

I've battled these pests for over 13 years and although I am not sure that I am winning the war I have slowed them down by saturating their new digs with Raid once a month or more and then every two or three years calling in a carpenter to replace infested areas with treated wood after a healthy spraying of all nearby areas. May not be the best way, but is what I have resorted to and works for a few years before being repeated in another area. Other suggestions have been way too expensive and inconvenient in an occupied home for me to gamble on their success. My method costs me a few thousand pesos and a few days of inconvenience every two or three years and I can deal with that.

Call Rene at FuMiGa. He and his crew are true professionals (properly trained in the use of chemicals). It's not cheap, but you can't just treat it from the surface. Years ago, we used another relatively known company here who gave a guarantee. The paper was worth more than the job. It may take several treatments because there is often more than one nest. Rene doesn't speak English (much), but he's worth grabbing someone to translate for you if you don't speak Spanish. cell:  331 464 6705

Termites? Nests? 

"They" are probably beetle larvae that came with the wood, especially pine, and will be very difficult to defeat, short of burning the wood. I the southern states of the USA, they were called "power post beetles" and they are very destructive. I lost the mast of a yacht to them once, as it was made of pine, instead of Sitka spruce.

On 8/23/2018 at 1:51 PM, Al Berca said:

I've battled these pests for over 13 years and although I am not sure that I am winning the war I have slowed them down by saturating their new digs with Raid once a month or more and then every two or three years calling in a carpenter to replace infested areas with treated wood after a healthy spraying of all nearby areas. May not be the best way, but is what I have resorted to and works for a few years before being repeated in another area. Other suggestions have been way too expensive and inconvenient in an occupied home for me to gamble on their success. My method costs me a few thousand pesos and a few days of inconvenience every two or three years and I can deal with that.

Hi Al!  Sounds like what I’ll be doing.  Have been, sin the Raid.  Do you replace with the perrota wood?  So far seems to be keeping them in abeyance, but you never know with them....so tiny, so destructive. So invisible until it’s way too late..this very same area was treated by Fumiga, whom I’ve used consistently.  I think once they get a hold you’re pretty well screwed, as it were.

gracias for your response 😿

On 8/23/2018 at 2:16 PM, Tingting said:

Call Rene at FuMiGa. He and his crew are true professionals (properly trained in the use of chemicals). It's not cheap, but you can't just treat it from the surface. Years ago, we used another relatively known company here who gave a guarantee. The paper was worth more than the job. It may take several treatments because there is often more than one nest. Rene doesn't speak English (much), but he's worth grabbing someone to translate for you if you don't speak Spanish. cell:  331 464 6705

I’ve used Rene for years, but I’m afraid the creatures are So embedded only a “full tenting” would do and maybe not even that ...the fight goes on.

gracias por your response 

I have not used parota due to the high cost of it. My carpenter uses regular pine soaked in some type of anti termite solution for a few days so that the solution soaks the wood, then dries it in the sun for a couple of days before installing it where the infestations were. The first time he did this was about six years ago and it is holding up just fine, although adjacent areas are going to need treatment and replacement in the next year or two. This will probably be a never ending problem from what others have told me.

Our carpenter was supposed to have used the treated pine for all our cabinets, doors, frames etc....and we paid extra for this - in less than a year there's been evidence of polillos in the kitchen cabinets!!!  At this point given all the additional problems, I don't think I would spit on him if he was on fire....estoy Muy enojado!

Don't replace the parota unless you definitely have infestation in that particular wood because they don't like it. They love the pine. We had to replace a lot of pine w/parota and it wasn't cheap, but the pine was a gourmet dinner for them. 

It takes a full-out attack to kill the s.o.b.s and then you have to do refresher treatments every few years, depending on where you live (hilly? get a lot moisture? etc). The Raid just isn't going to do it. It's one of the downsides of living lakeside. The frustrating thing is that you don't know the little bastards are there until it's too late.

Yes, they do come with the wood. So, you either have to do without any wooden mouldings, doors, cabinets, furniture, etc., or just deal with them. Parota is just too expensive for most of us, but it is beautiful.

If you do remove infested pine, there is only one solution: FIRE.  Burn it, do not dispose of it in any other way, as you will just be transfering the problem elsewhere.

Archived