Chapala.com Webboard

Chaplain Elevation

I've been reading a lot about the area but haven't seen any discussion on the elevation impact for visitors. When I traveled to Quito which has a similar elevation, I had a few days of acclimation.  I'm assuming the same for Chapala.  Also, any help with the local water will be appreciated 

I always had heard that Quito is much higher than here. So I went to Mr. Google and asked. I learned that Quito, Ecuador is 2,850 meters high which equates to over 9000 feet while the lake level is just over 5000 feet above sea level

EDIT: I see Ajijic-hiker already answered the question. Oh well :)

The water shouldn't be drunk that comes from the central supply, so that leaves having bottled water delivered, setting up a filter unit with a faucet for pure water or having a local business set up a whole house filtration system.  I chose the last option several years ago and have been well pleased with it.

Tap water is drinkable if filtered and UVed... But we primarily drink bottle water... Having said this, there are areas at Lakeside where the water is questionable so due diligence is recommended...

The elevation at Lakeside is a problem for people with breathing or heart problems.  However, the population benefits from the mild climate and relatively clean air.  The beaches are an alternative for the people with problems, but the trade off of heat and humidity is too high a price for many.  After you live here a while, you'll know if the climate agrees with your body.

2 hours ago, King Knish said:

I've been reading a lot about the area but haven't seen any discussion on the elevation impact for visitors. When I traveled to Quito which has a similar elevation, I had a few days of acclimation.  I'm assuming the same for Chapala.  Also, any help with the local water will be appreciated 

My friend is from Canada. She has real problems with the elevation. It sometimes takes her a couple of weeks to feel better.

Elevation affects everyone differently. I have lived between 5 and 9000' most of my life. For me, sea level has too damn much oxygen. You really won't know until you have tried it for a week or three.

You plan to rent so just figure on drinking bottled water. You get 22 ltr bottles delivered to your house.

And buy Judy King's book on retiring at Lake Chapala

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Lake-Chapala-Judy-King-ebook/dp/B00FEOO00S

13 hours ago, Al Berca said:

I'm still wondering who the chaplain was and to what position was he elevated?

I have tried, for over 12 hours, to give you a big LOL on this quote but the forum says "there was a problem". So here it is... three thumbs up and still laughing.

36 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I have tried, for over 12 hours, to give you a big LOL on this quote but the forum says "there was a problem". So here it is... three thumbs up and still laughing.

Laughing along with ya!  Sometimes, when you try to click on an emoticon, a notice says you can't, but it works anyway.🤔

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

Same here... I can't use the 'heart' symbol without that 'problem' notification.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:30 PM, Al Berca said:

I'm still wondering who the chaplain was and to what position was he elevated?

This is what happens when people use predictive text and then don't check what they've written before sending or posting. I get the most garbled text messages from people who just won't turn that stupid predictive text off.

The higher elevation the more red blood cells are needed to carry oxygen through the body. Your body will make up the difference in about two weeks. You should feel the same. Then when you visit the beach you will fell energized for a while. At least it does for me.

On the other hand, you can also develop too many red blood cells. My hemoglobin is 17%. When it gets to 19 mg%, they're gonna have to drain me a bit. Too bad I can't donate the blood... considering it's high octane.

In fact, the chaplain was not elevated.  The congregation and the chaplain mutually decided that it was not a good fit, and the chaplain has moved to a different elevation NOB.

Archived