Chapala.com Webboard

Start your engines, Ikea is coming.

I know this will be welcomed and am glad for the jobs it brings.  However, I will be extremely happy to continue to rely on local furniture makers for any furniture needs that may arrise.  I know Ikea carrys other products besides furniture.  However, I am hard pressed to think of something that someone here can't make.

• Thanks 1

It doesn't bother me in the least that new, popular stores open up around here. It's good for everyone. To me, your own expectations of quality and integrity are what count, not what store opens up. Everybody grouses every time this happens.

No one groused, though, when we got two new giant auto-parts stores, especially the mechanics... except those poor little Mom and Pop shops that disappeared. And one particular large garage opened in Riberas a few years back, but most people quickly discovered it sucks big time, and went back to their original mechanics.

• Like 2

Our home in Paris was right out of the IKEA catalogue... Walking through the IKEA store in Riyadh was a trip down memory lane...   Interesting assortment of furniture and kitchen items... The furniture is well designed but not built for 20 years... 

15 hours ago, mudgirl said:

They'll send all the stuff that's a little bit imperfect or damaged or colors no one anywhere else wanted to the Mexican store.

SERIOUSLY!? WHY would you say that!? They're ENTERING the Mexican market. If they want to do well here, I'm sure their first store will be a Mexican flagship. 

Having said that, I recognize that their move here is tremendously controversial. I will continue to support local artisans and furniture producers...BUT...I can also see the value of mass production of less expensive alternatives...a double edged sword, for sure.

14 hours ago, Tiny said:

I thought they already sent that stuff to Canada.  HAHAHAHA.

Ummm...and with regards to YOUR comment ''Tiny,'' I have shopped at Ikea in Canada MANY times over many years. Have been HAPPY with so MANY Ikea products...particularly linens etc.

I believe that Ikea does NOT send their ''rejects'' to Canada.  Your comment is SO not humorous...on SO MANY levels...but glad that you thought that it might be.   You like controversy .eh?

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, DeborahM said:

I believe that Ikea does NOT send their ''rejects'' to Canada.  Your comment is SO not humorous...on SO MANY levels...but glad that you thought that it might be.   You like controversy .eh?

What is funny is that you thought that you had to respond. HAHAHAHA

• Like 1

We will be very happy to have them here.  They sell many innovative and practical products.  We redid our Kitchen in the US with their cabinetry, purchased knives and assorted items from them.  I do agree their furniture is not high quality, but then again, not everyone needs that.

• Like 1

And I have wall cabinets and a desk that I bought at IKEA in Jeddah 30 years ago. Shipped it to Mexico along with the rest of the household and it still looks good and has held up well.  I'm curious to see what the store will be like.  Kitchen stuff, etc and welcome to Bed, Bath and Beyond as well...

I am thrilled to see IKEA. We furnished an entire apartment with it in Tokyo, perfectly suited to the space and place. I don't plan on redoing my kitchen from IKEA nor do I expect the furniture to last 20 years. I don't expect that I will last that long ! 😉However, when I want a piece of furniture for a corner or outside on the sunporch, I don't always want to wait for a carpenter to come and measure, then build it, and deliver it within a month of the promised date.  Sometimes I want it NOW !! That's a great thing about IKEA, CostCo, etc.  I patronize the local stores as much as I can, but perhaps some will step up their game and become a bit more interested in their customers and a little speedier in their service. Perhaps not. Only time will tell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeborahM said:

SERIOUSLY!? WHY would you say that!? They're ENTERING the Mexican market. If they want to do well here, I'm sure their first store will be a Mexican flagshi

Well, I was being somewhat tongue in cheek. But I did have to return one of those heavy duty 100 foot water hoses to Costco that had 2 holes in it, it was obviously defective, as the hose material was really thin there and as soon as I put water trhough it, it all bulged out and sprayed water everywhere.. I do think companies send their "irregulars" to places where they think they won't get many complaints.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Seriously comparing Ikea design to Mexican products is apples and oranges

Have you noticed over the years there are now more "modern " square shape houses  being built in both the Mexican and gringo communities and the traditional  Mexican furniture is not compatible 

I have noticed.  I was wondering if anyone else had.  I think it's good to coordinate the home furnishings to work well with the architectural style of a house and not try to force a look that just isn't compatible.