Chapala.com Webboard

Toyota Corolla Built and sold in USA

tycobb1020

On 8/19/2018 at 6:58 PM, daisy2013 said:

Yes it can

Well, not so fast. Only certain year models can be Nationalized.... currently that is years 2009 & 2010. In November that will change to 2010 and 2011.  Older models can be Nationalized but the ‘tax’ is higher on them. 

Not that it matters - but I thought that many of the North American Corollas were built in Canada at the Cambridge, Ontario plant.  The RAV4's at the relatively new Woodstock, Ontario plant (which I had the pleasure of touring a few years ago).

16 minutes ago, Ezzie said:

Not that it matters - but I thought the North American Corollas were built in Canada at the Cambridge, Ontario plant.  The RAV4's at Woodstock, Ontario.

Not any more.... Corollas are now produced in Guanajuato Mexico... and some still in Mississippi.

But as you say, in the matter of Nationalization it would not matter as all places are NAFTA. 

OK thanks Rick.  I had not heard that Toyota had actually done this and did some further research.  Back in 2015 Toyota announced that they were going to move Corolla production to a new plant announced for Guanajuato. There was a big stink about losing jobs to Mexico at the time of the announcement.   Corollas are still being built at the Cambridge "north" plant but it is possible these are only for the Canadian market (US supply from US plants??).  Toyota in the past few years retooled the "south" plant to produce their higher end products (currently the Lexus RS 350 and RX 450 Hybrids).  So for the time being TMMC (Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada) seems to be in good shape.

Last fall there were announcements that Toyota no longer planned to build Corollas in Mexico - possibly due to Trump's threat to penalize Toyota if it moved small car production to Mexico.  Instead the plan was to build additional Toyota Tacoma pickups and possibly a new SUV at the new plant - now scheduled to start production in the 1st half of 2021.  The Tacoma is currently built at plants in Baja California and San Antonio, TX.

Last year Toyota announced a new "joint-venture" company with Mazda and formed a new manufacturing company called Mazda Toyota Manufacturing U.S.A (MTMUS).  The plan is to build a new Corolla at that plant which is planned with a production capacity of 300,000 vehicles per year. Recently they announced the location for the plant is going to be near Huntsville, Alabama with an investment of $1.6 B US.

Goes to show you just how integrated and "borderless" the North American auto industry is.  Do you know where your car was "final assembled" and do you care whether the person putting the nuts and bolts together was a Canadian, American or Mexican?  We all have to have jobs to put food on our tables and take care of our families.

In an "ideal" world the products and services that any country needs for it's people should all be made in that country using the natural resources available and that it should be self-sustainable.  But that "ideal" was never achievable due to economies of scale and thus the emergence of global trade.  That is why I feel Trump's tariff rant and bullying will likely eventually fail the US.  I agree the trade imbalance that the US has with certain other countries needs to be reduced somehow - but not with some of the foreign countries he has picked a fight with. 

5 hours ago, tycobb1020 said:

As I read the VIN number this car was built in the US in 2014, probably Mississippi.

Interesting.... a Corolla built in the US!   Look at the 11th digit of a VIN#. It designates the 'plant'/city in which the vehicle was produced. Since it is a 2014, and according to Ezzie, 'we' thought that the 11th digit would be a 'C' denoting Cambridge ON Canada.

What is digit # 11?    What is digit #1 (Country of Assembly)?  

North America:   1, 4, 5 = United States,   2 = Canada,   3 = Mexico

P = Mississippi    

"M, eye, crooked-letter crooked-letter, eye, crooked-letter crooked letter, eye, hump-back hump-back eye     🤓

( I remember that from High School but I can’t remember where I put the car keys now!)

Archived