Chapala.com Webboard

Multiple Dogs--Are rentals hard to find?

I foster dogs for rescues and animal shelters in Austin, Texas. Right now I have seven dogs of my own. I try not to have more than nine dogs at any time, but these seven will be staying with me. If I move to the area, I want to continue to foster and rescue. Is it going to be a problem finding someone to rent to me?

And also could there be a problem bringing that many dogs with you all at one time. I think I remember that there is a restriction when it comes to the # of animals at one time. If I remember correctly, you would need to make several trips bringing only two or three at a time.

Please someone correct me, if I am remembering incorrectly.

In answer to you rental question, yes you will have a problem finding someone to rent to you unless you choose to live/rent in the country with  acreage .

7 hours ago, Cat Cummings said:

I foster dogs for rescues and animal shelters in Austin, Texas. Right now I have seven dogs of my own. I try not to have more than nine dogs at any time, but these seven will be staying with me. If I move to the area, I want to continue to foster and rescue. Is it going to be a problem finding someone to rent to me?

Yes.  The solution would be to buy instead of rent.  The south side of Lake Chapala would perhaps be ideal for your situation.

Depends on where you want to be, and how well-behaved your dogs are, and in some cases the size of the dogs.  Better luck renting from a Mexican landlord, and not right in the middle of established areas (noise and nuisance factor for neighbors who could get you in hot water).

Ixtlauhuacán, San Nicolas, and Santa Cruz are all good options.

I agree with Natasha. A Mexican owner of a typical unfurnished Mexican style house is much less likely to mind how many dogs you have, particularly if located off the beaten path. I also agree with Pete. You need to research how many dogs you are allowed to bring in at one time. I assume you will be driving in. Flying animals in is much more restrictive. 

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm allowed to drive three dogs in per vehicle not necessarily three dogs ownership limit. I'll check out the areas you mentioned. I'm hoping to rent for a year before I buy just to make sure it's a fit. if I want to buy, I'd have to sell my house up here, and I don't want to do that until I'm certain that the change works. I'll check out Mexican landlords in areas when I come down for a visit. 

You see like a great group. FYI:  My dogs are pretty well-behaved, indoor dogs. I let them out in my backyard in the a.m. to run off some steam while I'm fixing their breakfast. They yip and yap on the way out the door. After they rest a bit, I walk them and pick up after them. I let them out again about noon. I clean after them every evening. We take another couple of walks in the evening. I will confess that in this 103 deg. heat we've been having, none of us want to be out too long or go too far from home.

My only large dog is my Catahoula, Peaches. I rescued her from a shelter when she was 3 mos. old. Next comes Dixie, my 22 lb Scottie/Yorkie mix. She also was a shelter pup that I adopted when she was 6 mos. old. She now has lymphoma but has beat the doctors by four years. Her lumps are now going down, but she is 14 and so has other issues. After Dixie is Tessa, a 28 lb Pug mix. We are constantly on a diet. She was a shelter pup on the EU list. I took her and found her a great home, but she wasn't having it and came back to stay with me. The rest are two Chiweenies whose owners left them with me and never came back (don't you love people??). I've had them four years now. I think they are about 7 yrs old. Finally, is Fifi a/k/a Sissie. I got her and her three pups when she was 9 mos. old. She had been dumped along with her babies at a country shelter. They called me b/c she had bit the AC Officer and was about to be put down. She weighs a whopping 9 lbs. Last but not least is Chachi, a full blooded Chi that we rescued from the Rio Grande Valley animal shelter. He was HW+ and has Lyme Disease. He's only a year old and I'm keeping him. He is the sweetest boy.

All are fully vetted and chipped. They mind (when they want to). I love them dearly and everything hinges on if we can find a place to stay where I feel safe that all is secure for them. I will rent my house out up here. Anyway, that's us, and I want to thank you all once again for your excellent advice and input. 

It changes your chances greatly if you are able to convince  a landlord your guys are basically indoor dogs. You sound like a very consciencious (sp?) pet-owner. Good luck.

But be aware there's a shortage of rentals right now and rents have gone up. Still, start searching. . . .

Lexy

I’m also planning on bringing  my 2 dogs. I have a huge Bullmastiff baby that weighs 130 lbs. and a 30 lb. French Bulldog. I hope I can find a real nice 1 or 2 br modern apartment or house to rent in a desireable area.  I expect that my budget should be more than enough-$1500 (or more possibly).  My other concern is with the bugs, particularly scorpions and ants and the danger to my dogs. Has anyone ever heard of an issue with dogs and bugs? Thanks.

I don't think scorpions sting dogs. At least I've never heard my dog yelp in the 11 years I've lived out in the countryside with her. I'VE been stung. My dog has even alerted me to them in the house- I'll see her just staring at the floor and go over and there's a scorpion. People get stung because they pick something up that a scorpion is on- they don't just run around looking for something to sting, it's only a defense mechanism. And since dogs don't go around picking up clothing or bricks or anything.....

And ants? How would ants be a danger to a dog?

Really, most insects want nothing to do with us or our animals (except fleas and ticks of course). We must look like huge monsters to them and they have much more important insect business to attend to. 

I  had a mastiff that was stung by a scorpion and I had to take him to the vet as he seemed to be in pain and have problems but he was ok after a shot. I would imagine small dogs could have problems..

My neighbors had 7 dogs once and  they found rentals but that was a long time ago and dogs make it more dififcult to rent. They would rent unfurnished houses and I think that is what you have to do if you have more than one or two.

Lots of dogs or a very big dog: unfurnished is the only realistic way to go. No landlord wants their furniture put at risk of damage. Many rental ads say something like "small pet considered". I know people who rent with both multiple dogs and large dogs, so it's not impossible, just more challenging.

Archived