Chapala.com Webboard

Airbnb/Hotel Booking for Trip to Find Long-Term Rental

Sorn

12 hours ago, Sorn said:

I've appreciated the comments here. However, does anyone have input on the likely availability of hotels/Airbnbs from Jan-March? Is the area really saturated to the point where there is, almost literally, no room at the inn for weary travelers? If so, that would really frustrate a visit to make arrangements for a later move. I guess we could cancel the pre-visit and just book a trip in the off-season in the belief we'll find something but, damn, that seems even more risky. 

You have chosen the worst time to come and look for a place, in my opinion. Yes, in the winter we are saturated. With the rental market being so tight right now, all the rentals will be full and the property management companies and individuals who run the rentals won't be able to get you in to look at properties.  I think you would do much better in April or May when the snowbirds are gone. More places will be available. Last year and this year the number of people wanting to move here has increased substantially and it is making it difficult to find accommodations if you are a renter.  There used to be a lot more rentals available but new arrivals took a lot of them, and the rule of supply and demand drove prices up, and then a lot of houses which used to be rentals were sold because real estate prices went up as well due to all the new arrivals. I have heard that some renters rent all year long now even though they are snowbirds, just to ensure they have their spot for the winter, although they don't want to buy into the market.  I don't know if that happens much but perhaps some people do it. Things have definitely changed here.  If you still want to come Jan through Mar, you need to book something very soon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the OP is still reading and believes what people are telling him. It is really that jammed up here. He is not trying to book too early. In fact, he is fast approaching too late. No one is trying to leverage him into impulse renting. The best thing he could do to improve the odds of success is change his trip to April or May instead of the height of high season in the tightest rental market I have seen in 10 years of living here. 

•  

Trust me: I'm listening and appreciate all the advice. It sounds like postponing the trip is the only practical avenue. I knew the rental market was tough but didn't expect it to expand into the hotel/Airbnb market. The high season must be something (we've generally visited on the fringes or in low season). It sounded inconceivable to have to book accommodations five months in advance. But, the market has spoken.

Archived