Chapala.com Webboard

Garden clippings in Chapala

We are having trouble getting rid of our garden clippings in downtown Chapala.  Sometimes the trash truck takes it, but most days they just leave sitting there for days.  We bag our clippings up in the heavy duty, large, black trash bags we buy at the candy stores here.  We have been living at this house for over seven years and this is a relatively new phenomenon for us.  Is there a certain day that garden clippings are collected in Chapala like they do in Ajijic?  Is it a different truck or is it the same truck that collects the garbage?  Thanks.

I'm beginning to think the propina is what has caused this mess.  Before they would take it most of the time, for many years.  Occasionlly, when we would put several bags out at a time we would give them a propina,  and from time to time we give them a propina when we would have just one bag.  Now they won't take it at all without a propina.  I think the propinas spoiled them.  Just they come so early on my street, sometimes close to 7 in the morning, we aren't always awake and dressed at that hour.

I really doubt that, unless you've got some small gang of rogue garbage collectors. Pretty much like all the other muni workers around here, they just keep on doing their job with low wages and limited resources or thanks. A good tip is always appreciated, but they won't change their methods or ways without one. Not to mention, garbage collectors come and go faster than bagboys at Walmart, so there is very little long-term memory. No, I'm going to say it's just poor management in your area... something that moves around over the course of any given year.

3 hours ago, HarryB said:

Have you considered spreading the clippings on flower beds at home as mulch??

I realize not everyone has a large enough yard to do this, but I really can't understand why those who do would put out garden clippings with the garbage. If you pile it up in a far corner of the yard, and keep it damp, it will break down within a few months to a year- you move the newer stuff off the top of the pile and what you have underneath is beautiful rich composted soil. Instead people put it out with the garbage, then go buy bags of potting soil and compost. 

And using it as mulch around plants is great- conserves the moisture so you don't have to water so often and keeps the weeds from sprouting up. Just because Mexican gardeners love to rake everything bare doesn't mean it makes good gardening sense.

I totally agree mudgirl. But, if you saw how tiny my "courtyard" is, you would understand why it's got to go out somewhere. I'd rather call Raul to pick it up and then buy the completed compost from him (or elsewhere). That's a win/win for me.

Mudgirl gave me some good advice, maybe, I should find a corner in my yard to compost my garden clippings.  But, apparently, nobody has an answer to my original question.  In Chapala is there a day that garden clippings are picked up?  Is it a special truck or the same garbage truck that picks up garbage?  We have a medium sized yard full of plants including giant banana frond waste.  We generate quite a lot of garden waste on a weekly basis, perhaps too much for a small compost pile.

How would anybody know the answer to your question without going directly to the municipality to find out for themselves? Even I can't tell you the answer in my neighbourhood, because they can't always keep to their schedule.

Archived