Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for an electric range

We will soon be installing solar panels, and after that we will be looking for an electric stove and oven.  We want the old fashioned kind with the metal coils.  Most places that we have seeen so far seem to have a very limited selection and only carry the flat top and convection types.  People that have purchased electric ranges, where did you buy them at and who has the best selection?  Thanks.

To answer my own question, after spending over half the day, scanning online department stores, making phone calls to Sears Mexico, and Liverpool and several others.  And then almost coming to the conclusion that it is almost impossible to find an old fashioned, normal electric stove with the traditional coil burners.  I am a firm believer that the fancier and more sophisticated it is, the more that can go wrong with it or break down on it.  And getting parts and having things properly repaired around here, is not always the simplest task.  Even on Amazon Mex, they had next to nothing in the way of electric ranges.  But, lo and behold, Mercado Libre saved the day, after much exhaustive searching on other sites, we later discovered Mercado Libre had a fair selection of decent electric ranges. So, in the future, if anyone is ever looking for an electric range.  Look here:

https://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/estufa-electrica#D[A:estufa%20electrica]

and if you ever find something that piques your interest on Mercado Libre, you can always use the model number to look it up on Amazon to see more details and reviews about the product.

Well, in all honesty, I have adapted (even though I grew up only using an electric) and have grown accustomed to using our gas stove and oven, but certain members of my house hold detest it and won't rest until we get an electric range.  So an electric is what we must get.  If it were me deciding (which it ain't!) I would get the dual kind that is a gas stove top but an electric oven.  I prefer cooking with gas for all the reasons stated above but prefer baking with electricity.  Mexican gas ovens are a constant battle to use.  They don't have a thermostat to regulate tempetatures nor a seal to maintain temperatures.  You slowly turn down the flame and begin baking something and often times later you discover you accidentally turned the dang thing off and you have start all over again!  Another thing that shocked us was how the cheap plastic knobs on the front started to melt and crinkle after just 6 months of using the oven.  And it was one of the more expensive quality ones available at Tio Sams at the time.

I totally agree with you about the baking. Moisture is a by product of propane combustion so nothing gets flaky. But I do have temperature control and a good seal so those two issues are not a problem.

There is also the weird "grill" at the bottom of most stoves. Sorry but I ain't crabbin' down on my hands and knees to cook anything that needs grilling... and (OMG) how the hell are you supposed to clean it? I passed.

imho, the best of both worlds is to have a gas cooktop and an electric convection oven/microwave/grill elsewhere at waist level for ease of use. YMMV.

Remodeling the kitchen was a must when we bought a well located but ancient "tear down" ten years ago.  I am not fond of the typical gas stoves and their crummy heat controls, so I went for broke and bought a waist high top of the line gas oven with everything including the self cleaning feature and convection options.  I love it and it cooks everything perfectly.  With the gas cooktop, I feel like I have the "best of both worlds".  Even with nine solar panels, electricity cost is a factor.  However, I do understand that if someone in your household has the mind made up........good luck finding the ideal electric stove !😉

As Gringal said there are upgrade options available for gas stoves.  The price difference between a non-thermostat to a thermostat-equipped gas oven was not that great when we replaced our gas oven last year. 

I have had electric ovens with optional convection feature in the US and they were excellent  for baking.  However, I have not baked with a gas stove with convection; I didn't even know they were available.   

46 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

As Gringal said there are upgrade options available for gas stoves.  The price difference between a non-thermostat to a thermostat-equipped gas oven was not that great when we replaced our gas oven last year. 

I have had electric ovens with optional convection feature in the US and they were excellent  for baking.  However, I have not baked with a gas stove with convection; I didn't even know they were available.   

My oven is a "GE Profile" with convection bake, convection roast, "normal" bake, a probe and a timer.  Bought it from Tio Sams about 8 years ago.  A thing of beauty!😄

We just installed an induction cook-top two months ago and we love it. Far less electricity used than resistance burners. no waste heat, just a wipe cleans up spills and a true simmer.

Prices have been dropping recently and induction is now on par with good quality gas ranges and cook-tops

SunFan

Archived