Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Citizenship test

Oysterv

56 minutes ago, HarryB said:

I am so happy to read of those who have persevered and got their citizenship. I believe that they do try to make you jump through as many hoops as possible. But, in the end they look kindly on those who show their love of mexico.

Please get registered to vote!!!! They respect those who vote. 

Harry, one doesn't 'register to vote'.  Once a person has Mexican citizenship, the person needs to go to the nearest INE office (there's one in Jocotepec) to apply for a credencial--a national photo identification card that is the ID needed in order to vote and to identify oneself as a Mexican citizen.  Mexican citizens are asked to show that ID many more times than one might think and it's important to carry it with us at all times.  Usually one goes to the INE to apply for it and then returns approximately 2 weeks later to pick it up.  In order to apply, one needs to take the Acta de Naturalización and a comprobante de domicilio to the INE.

There's no charge for the credencial, and no party affiliation is involved.

• Thanks 1

If your Spanish is relatively fluent the test itself is pretty easy but beware! At least the guy who gave it to me only allowed five minutes, by stopwatch, to do it all. There was no way I could complete it- just ran out of time. You have to read a couple of pages aloud and that alone kills a minute before you even get to the written part. Am going back tomorrow to try it again and hoping I will nail it now that I know what to expect. 

56 minutes ago, More Liana said:

Harry, one doesn't 'register to vote'.  Once a person has Mexican citizenship, the person needs to go to the nearest INE office (there's one in Jocotepec) to apply for a credencial--a national photo identification card that is the ID needed in order to vote and to identify oneself as a Mexican citizen.  Mexican citizens are asked to show that ID many more times than one might think and it's important to carry it with us at all times.  Usually one goes to the INE to apply for it and then returns approximately 2 weeks later to pick it up.  In order to apply, one needs to take the Acta de Naturalización and a comprobante de domicilio to the INE.

There's no charge for the credencial, and no party affiliation is involved.

Semantics - getting your INE card is registering to vote.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Not a requirement for over 60. I do not know if it is on the test for under 60, but of the questions I have seen it was not included. 

Over 60 you only need to speak Spanish.  The Spanish test is as follows:

First you are given an article from some publication to read. About 4 or 5 paragraphs. Then you are given  a page with 5 questions multiple choice 3 answers possible on each. You can refer back to the article as many times as you want. You circle the correct answer for each question.

Next you are handed a picture. You need to write 3 sentences describing what is in the picture. Each sentence must be a minimum of 5 words and punctuated correctly.  Can be very basic ie;  Hay dos personas abajo de arboles. 

I have been told that in GDL they say there is a time limit. That is not legal but they do it. In Mexico City there is no time limit. You need to go to Mexico City for your police report. You can do it all in one day. 

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Not a requirement for over 60. I do not know if it is on the test for under 60, but of the questions I have seen it was not included. 

Over 60 you only need to speak Spanish.  The Spanish test is as follows:

First you are given an article from some publication to read. About 4 or 5 paragraphs. Then you are given  a page with 5 questions multiple choice 3 answers possible on each. You can refer back to the article as many times as you want. You circle the correct answer for each question.

Next you are handed a picture. You need to write 3 sentences describing what is in the picture. Each sentence must be a minimum of 5 words and punctuated correctly.  Can be very basic ie;  Hay dos personas abajo de arboles. 

I have been told that in GDL they say there is a time limit. That is not legal but they do it. In Mexico City there is no time limit. You need to go to Mexico City for your police report. You can do it all in one day. 

Hay dos personas debajo de los árboles....not "abajo".

( Google the difference between debajo and abajo ) 

Sorry for the correction....but since it is about a language test

15 hours ago, Rony said:

Hay dos personas debajo de los árboles....not "abajo".

( Google the difference between debajo and abajo ) 

Sorry for the correction....but since it is about a language test

Yes you are correct.  My Spanish is not perfect. (nor my English)  The important part is to understand that 5 word sentences will suffice.