Chapala.com Webboard

new highways SL Potosi & Monterrey

windstar

I am leaving soon for Reynosa.  Checking Google maps I see a new highway going west & north of SLP.  Looks like it would save lots of kms.  Any suggestions on this route.  Also I see a 4 lane highway going to through the south of Monterrey instead of the truck route.  How is that one.  Thanks for any info.

Yes, there is a new west to north bypass of SLP.  Just stay on the cuota from Lagos de Moreno and it eventually runs into the new road and the exit on the north side of town is marked to Matehuala.  

Can't comment on the one outside of Monterrey, we don't go that way.

I don't know of a decent way to bypass Monterrey to the south of the city if going from Hwy. 57 over to Hwy. 40 and on to Reynosa/McAllen.  Depending on the time of day, I usually just follow the 40 through downtown Monterrey and out the east side.  It is a fast moving road with lots of curves and people drive on it like they are on a race track.  If you take it, watch carefully for signage as in some areas it is a bit confusing.  Great fun!!!!

1 hour ago, Jreboll said:

Why not take the toll roads going through Monterrey?

To my knowledge 40D cuota does not go all the way through town. That may have changed recently, but....

If you are talking about using the NW Periferico cuota, like one is going to Laredo, but then continuing on past the Laredo turnoff  and towards the airport to then reconnect with 40D east to Reynosa, that would be a long way just to miss 'downtown', IMO.

I just took it a month ago. It may be longer but is so much simpler. I used to go through downtown years ago and I don’t miss having to put up with the traffic. Just be careful when you get to Cadereyta. You can easily get confused and end up going into the city instead of going towards Reynosa. 

Yes but you also bypass Ciudad Victoria.  The route I drive to Pharr doesn't go through any significant urban areas, and corresponding slowdown, after that poor excuse for a ring road around Lagos de Moreno.  After that, new roads bypass SLP, Ciudad Victoria and Reynosa.  Almost all fast, I make the run in about 10.5 hours to the Pharr bridge.

Archived