Chapala.com Webboard

Tremezzo - new Italian

ComputerGuy

On Colon, a couple of doors down from the bank past the plaza. 12 - 10 most days.

An excellent addition. Where Juan Cafe used to be; owners are involved, I believe. Nice rustico table settings, chairs with cushions, quality dinnerware, flatware, and glassware. The nicely-done menu shows a strong effort, with various pastas, pizzas, and salads. Nothing is cheap, but nothing is expensive, either. Chicken and steak also on the menu.

We arrived about 8 pm Saturday, and there were already a number of people eating. Our server was a professional young lady, polite, knowledgeable, and efficient. She even knew how to deliver drinks without reaching across our table. A betabel salad was beautifully laid out, and decorated with slivered almonds, aged parmesan slices and fennel. At 85p, perhaps pricey, but it was a whole large sliced grilled beet, and quite filling. Dotted with a creamy sauce, I would have liked a little more of everything except beet, but considering the quality of such a dish, I can't complain. My fettucine with seafood was delicous, the pasta cooked perfectly, with four very large mussels laid out on top in a nice presentation, and scattered with large shrimp and tender-cooked octopus. $135p. My companion's "4 cheeses" spaghetti was delicious, and heavy on the parmesan, which I liked (115p).

Crisp bread slices and a sweet sesame seed roll came with our drinks. Limonadas were 28p; perhaps overpriced for lemonade, but I've come to expect that kind of pricing these days.

The whole affair was a treat from start to finish, and even though it seemed as if hundreds of diners were pouring in while we were there (seriously, where did they put them all? There is a small back garden and a couple of rooms; while we ate overlooking the street, I can't imagine what it was like inside), service never flagged. Until cheque time, but this is Mexico after all.

• Like 4

One thing I would like to add: we did have a bit of leftovers to take home, and that was put into a recycled cardboard container, instead of the usual styrofoam (Our dedicated Tupperware-type containers were within easy reach). Brilliant. I wonder how much the difference is in cost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seems we chose the wrong day to check out this new restaurant, they are closed on Tuesdays!

Val  :)

This is a very nice addition to Ajijic's restaurant scene.  

We sat inside because the sun was rather blinding on their front patio last night.  The interior has a nice bistro feel to it with exposed brick, petate and an open kitchen and bar.  They have good canned background music, nothing too loud or annoying.  Their FB page indicates when they have live music.

The beet dish is exceptional as is the beef carpaccio.  Some of the calamari rings had a bit more chew to them than they should have, but the Asian dipping sauce more than made up for that.  Their pizza is straightforward with a good yeasty crust; we had the prosciutto and arugula and it had a very good quality prosciutto.   

The house wine is 70 pesos which is on the high side here.  They have a large wine by the bottle list as well.  

Here is their menu.

37991188_228777647964425_1200675635358334976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9e4485f3d4050da0b3f1d861e61bb356&oe=5C0A4F73

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Gringal, there's an easy fix for that. Take your own cushions. We always had 2 seat cushions in the car at all times. Even an obusforme is portable.

I do have cushions along, but those straight backed narrow seated wooden chairs would be uncomfortable no matter what. Some restaurants don't get their priorities in the right order, IMO.  When Carlos at Gosha's decided to replace the old equipale chairs, he found new plastic chairs that are comfortable to sit in while you wait for the "slow food"...the best kind.  (Grin) It's my dining pesos, so I get to be picky...and I like to be comfortable while I'm spending them. YMMV.🖖

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I can say that, even with my over-reactive sciatica and lower back pain, with the cushions on their chairs (they have their own) I had no problem sitting for over an hour. I too am not a fan of many straight-backed chairs, but looks are deceiving here. It might be different if I liked to push it back and drink up the wine list while chatting forever after the meal, but we sorta like to eat, take a breather, and leave, since neither of us drink.

50 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I can say that, even with my over-reactive sciatica and lower back pain, with the cushions on their chairs (they have their own) I had no problem sitting for over an hour. I too am not a fan of many straight-backed chairs, but looks are deceiving here. It might be different if I liked to push it back and drink up the wine list while chatting forever after the meal, but we sorta like to eat, take a breather, and leave, since neither of us drink.

Looks may be deceiving......possibly.  And no, we aren't into lingering either, but am glad you enjoyed the experience.  You're what I meant by "YMMV". 😉

Agreed. And I am very seat aware. For example, the straight-backed chairs at Richard's Restaurant look painful, but they are indeed the most comfortable I've sat in anywhere here. (Great cushions.) I'd hate for you two to miss out on a very nice addition to the area. (After all, who knows how long it will be around?)

30 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Agreed. And I am very seat aware. For example, the straight-backed chairs at Richard's Restaurant look painful, but they are indeed the most comfortable I've sat in anywhere here. (Great cushions.) I'd hate for you two to miss out on a very nice addition to the area. (After all, who knows how long it will be around?)

Maybe about as long as its previous occupant?  I'll think about it.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Checked out this new restaurant tonight and I was impressed with the quality of the food. My friends loved it and it made for a great outing. I wish the new owners all the best, they have a good formula and hopefully they will be around for many years.

• Like 1

We had a delicious lunch yesterday, good food,  good service, fair pricing, interesting selections (roasted beet dish was delicious), and even the chairs were ok for the  hour or so we were there..A KEEPER in my opinion...Parking near-by is not possible on Sunday...a few  blocks to walk..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We ate lunch there today.  As to the chairs they were comfortable for us.  My lasagna noodles were over cooked and mushy but the filling was good but too salty for my taste.  The house salad was very nicely presented but at over $5.00 U.S. we found it a little pricey.  The wine pour was skimpy but the wine was very good.  All in all, too pricey for a meal that is easily and better made at home.  In addition, paying this much for a meal, I would like to see at least a nice napkin (whether paper or not) instead of the tiny, thin squares that tear before you are finished using them once. Service was excellent and the music very nice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dined here last night. Finally a place that can make a Maker's Mark Manhatten! Our meals were good, good pour of wine for $50 in a nice stemware glass. Pasta cooked well and not half raw. Nice addition to the Colon St row. 

13 hours ago, tomgates said:

Dined here last night. Finally a place that can make a Maker's Mark Manhatten! Our meals were good, good pour of wine for $50 in a nice stemware glass. Pasta cooked well and not half raw. Nice addition to the Colon St row. 

When we went the house wine was 70p a glass.  That was my only complaint about Tremezzo.  I mentioned it to the owner and he said he would consider finding a lower cost option.  However when I checked with him yesterday via FB he said his house wine remained priced at 70p per glass.  

We liked his food and will return, but I have a psychological barrier to paying more than 60p for a house wine so we won't visit as often.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I wish folks would stop indicating cost in dollars...please give us the price you paid in Pesos and let us be the judge if it's good value....if you're  not familiar with the mix of folks at Lakeside...we are not all from Kansas

Any time people want to see what a pesos price equals in dollars, they can easily do so on the net, so yes, most of us would prefer to hear about the prices in pesos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

I wish folks would stop indicating cost in dollars...please give us the price you paid in Pesos and let us be the judge if it's good value....if you're  not familiar with the mix of folks at Lakeside...we are not all from Kansas

Yes, many of us are from Canada originally, so your US dollar conversion means nothing to us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1