Chapala.com Webboard

documents required to be in car

Ozalene

On 8/19/2018 at 3:06 PM, pappysmarket said:

All depends on who stops you, how good your Spanish is and how hard you want to resist "greasing the wheels" to be sent on your way. An attorney surely could give you the legal answer but here in Mexico that's not always how things work in real time.  South Dakota is (or at least was, maybe not still?) a low cost alternative to having an up to date registration. Very friendly folks in Clay County used to help many of us out.

Thanks for your reply and sorry to take so long to get back. Yes we have South Dakota plates that are current. And we since got all the documents notarized.  We now know what can happen and how to deal with it.

On 8/16/2018 at 2:32 PM, lakeside7 said:

Where were you stopped and for what reason also do you have MX plates?

Sorry it took so long to answer your question. We were stopped at the beginning of the Libriamento in front of Centro Laguna heading east.  The reason was I think that the guy wanted breakfast and thought that we would be an easy touch. We have current South Dakota plates, Residente Temporal, and a Jalisco drivers license. The prob was copies of the car permit. with our limited Spanish we talked our way our with a few hundred pesos. We have since gotten all the car documents notarized and put them in the car.

On 8/16/2018 at 1:09 PM, Mainecoons said:

Unfortunately, this was a shakedown for mordida.  Could you give more details?  Where, when, description of the "cop"?

Sorry for the delay answering you.Yes, he did get some mordida. It was at the beginning of the Libriamento in front of Centro Laguna heading east. Don't remember when, and the cop was a Vial Transito. The prob was copies only of the car permit. We have since obtained notarized copies that we keep in the car.

On 8/15/2018 at 2:02 PM, Hud said:

No. But they can use that "threat" to get a bribe from you if you are not up-to-date on basic driving laws. I suspect he got a nice "mordida" from you. 

:(

Thanks and my apologies for my delayed reply to you. Yes he did get some mordida, and we now are more up to date on the driving laws, and got notarized copies of all the car documents which we keep in the car.

Archived