Chapala.com Webboard

G Mail

cedros

I don't know where else to post this so I will try here. I've used G Mail for years. Its format suddenly changed today-it is difficult to use. I can't see any way to change it back to what it was. Maybe there is a G Mail forum somewhere.

Thanks CalGal. I will try that. I think it did it. I have visited a number of GMail forums without success. I think they do these updates to confuse the old folks. My cell phone had an update the other day-confusing now.

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Thanks CalGal. I will try that. I think it did it. I have visited a number of GMail forums without success. I think they do these updates to confuse the old folks. My cell phone had an update the other day-confusing now.

Yes, that's what  young nerdy software programmers who can't get a date on a Saturday night do instead- "fix" things that aren't broken, move everything around, then take bets on how many weeks it'll take Grandma to figure out how to sign in.

8 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, that's what  young nerdy software programmers who can't get a date on a Saturday night do instead- "fix" things that aren't broken, move everything around, then take bets on how many weeks it'll take Grandma to figure out how to sign in.

So true. A type of torture or revenge on their part?

I must have had a somewhat never  version than you did. When I clicked to change to the new one yesterday, it did but I don't find it much different than the previous version.

And, yes, the star wheel will let one "go back to classic gmail'.

I changed it back to classic also. Now it has reverted to the new G Mail and I can't go back to the classic. Hardly functioning. 

2 hours ago, suegarn said:

That's odd.  That didn't happen to me.  Did you try to change it back in your settings again?

When I go to setting the choice of classic is no longer there. Instead it has density display with 3 choices, configuration inbox, settings, themes, etc. Mine is sort of in between classic and new. For example instead of there being about 15 in my inbox there are almost 7,000 now. Often when I click on an E Mail it will not open. 

On 8/12/2018 at 4:07 PM, cedros said:

When I go to setting the choice of classic is no longer there. Instead it has density display with 3 choices, configuration inbox, settings, themes, etc. Mine is sort of in between classic and new. For example instead of there being about 15 in my inbox there are almost 7,000 now. Often when I click on an E Mail it will not open. 

Sounds odd!  I wish I could be of some help, but I have mine reset back to the classic, and I don't want to try the new version again to see if I can switch back or not.  Maybe ComputerGuy can help you.

On 8/12/2018 at 11:10 AM, dave0415 said:

I use Mailbird. It syncs with gmail but one does not get these updates all the time. Free for one email account, otherwise about 40.00 for a lifetime purchase. Very easy to set up

The thing is, MailBird is a "client" for email that sits on your PC, while these comments apply to Gmail.com, the Website. GMail can't update an email client, only its own Webpages.

You can switch back for about two weeks. At some point, GMail will force the new look. I'm using, and don't see much of a difference other than cosmetic. Some things are easier to find. You now get a menu of icons on the right side that may be of interest to some. The CONTACTS, previously accessible from the GMail logo, has been moved to the Rubic's Cube of 9 squares in the upper right. I think that's a tad daft, although considering they have botched the Contacts list for two years running , at least it's working now.

I've never understood why the main Menu on the left side is always so compact. One must click on the slider bar to see more, and then actually click MORE. Duh.

Archived